• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cricketers who would make the current Australia Test side

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Obviously this is hypothetical, but IMO

Tests........

Definately.....

Dravid - replace Clark at 4
Lara - replace Katich at 5
Flintoff - replace Watson as allrounder
S Jones - replace Braken, tait as third seamer
Murali -if 2nd spinner played to replace Mcgill

Maybe .....

Harmison - to replace Lee
Strauss/Smith to replace Hayden

To definately stay.....

Langer
Ponting
Gilchrist
Warne
Mcgrath

Zinzan

Blaze said:
Agree 100%. Although Kallis might be able to find a place in the middle order.
Yeah there could be an argument for Kallis....although I still rate Ponting, Dravid and Lara higher - even though Lara did fail in the 1st test

King_Ponting

International Regular
i agree with all your swaps in the d category. However i think the players which are being replaced in the maybe category are much better than the alternatives...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Effectively you are asking to make a world XI

Langer
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Hoggard/Harmison
Warne
McGrath
Murali

howardj

International Coach
zinzan12 said:
Obviously this is hypothetical, but IMO

Tests........

Definately.....

Dravid - replace Clark at 4
Lara - replace Katich at 5
Flintoff - replace Watson as allrounder
S Jones - replace Braken, tait as third seamer
Murali -if 2nd spinner played to replace Mcgill

Maybe .....

Harmison - to replace Lee
Strauss/Smith to replace Hayden

To definately stay.....

Langer
Ponting
Gilchrist
Warne
Mcgrath
With the openers, if anyone was to come in for Hayden, it'd be Sehwag.

The only other thing I disagree with is that I'd have Kallis ahead of Lara. Kallis is the bloke I'd nominate to bat for my life. Whereas Ive gone off Lara a little. He just looks too vulnerable against the quicks. His head moves too much and he's never really in a set position, up against guys like McGrath etc.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sehwag/Smith might replace Hayden but given the latter has just scored 3 consecutive centuries, I dont think so.

Lara/Dravid/Kallis/Tendulkar would fight it out for 4 and 5.

Flintoff would be in the team but as he is nowhere near Gilchrist as a batsman would have to bat 7.

Murali is a must in any team.

Another seamer is tough. Harmy doesnt take enough wickets, Hoggard is ordinary in most conditions, Pollock is on the decline, Ntini and Nel are OK, Jones has only had one good series but looks excellent, Bond is the most talented but just coming back from injury.

Probably give it to Bond as he is by far the best new ball exponent.

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Lara/Dravid/Kallis/Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Warne
Bond
McGrath
Murali

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:

Langer
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Hoggard/Harmison
Warne
McGrath
Murali
Looks like a longish tail, so i might be tempted to bring in Pollock for Harmison or Hoggard. If this team played a Windies side of the 70/80s plus a couple others players, it might make a bit of a difference having the extra batting down the order. Also i would have Jones in the side infront of Harmison or Hoggard if you went for the four best bowlers ATM.

EDIT: After reading Social post, i think i would go for Bond too, even though his injury prone.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Pratyush said:

Langer
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Lara
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Hoggard/Harmison
Warne
McGrath
Murali
Correct it is essentially a world test xi :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
social said:
Sehwag/Smith might replace Hayden but given the latter has just scored 3 consecutive centuries, I dont think so.

Lara/Dravid/Kallis/Tendulkar would fight it out for 4 and 5.

Flintoff would be in the team but as he is nowhere near Gilchrist as a batsman would have to bat 7.

Murali is a must in any team.

Another seamer is tough. Harmy doesnt take enough wickets, Hoggard is ordinary in most conditions, Pollock is on the decline, Ntini and Nel are OK, Jones has only had one good series but looks excellent, Bond is the most talented but just coming back from injury.

Probably give it to Bond as he is by far the best new ball exponent.

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Warne
Bond
McGrath
Murali
IMO in tests, Dravid would take the number 3 spot from Ponting. I just can't see Dravid not being a 'definite' in any team in the world. Tendulkar since the start of 2003 would have to fight it out with Ponting, Lara and Kallis, and probably lose. Granted Hayden's scored 3 tons, but I still rate Sehwag the better opener so I'd have him replaced anyway. Harsh on Haydos though :p

Sehwag
Langer
Dravid
Lara
Ponting
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Pollock/Harmison/Bond (If its Bond bat Warne higher than him)
Warne
Murali
McGrath

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
For me..

Sehwag
Langer
Dravid
Ponting
Lara
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Warne
<insert pace bowler here>
McGrath
Muralitharan

The second seamer position is anyone's really. The only other iffy decisions for me would be Sehwag vs Smith/Hayden and Kallis vs Lara.

Zinzan

FaaipDeOiad said:
For me..

Sehwag
Langer
Dravid
Ponting
Lara
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Warne
<insert pace bowler here>
McGrath
Muralitharan

The second seamer position is anyone's really. The only other iffy decisions for me would be Sehwag vs Smith/Hayden and Kallis vs Lara.
hard to disagree with that line up Faai... Depending on how Bond goes in his return to test cricket he could be that pace bowler

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
howardj said:
With the openers, if anyone was to come in for Hayden, it'd be Sehwag.

The only other thing I disagree with is that I'd have Kallis ahead of Lara. Kallis is the bloke I'd nominate to bat for my life. Whereas Ive gone off Lara a little. He just looks too vulnerable against the quicks. His head moves too much and he's never really in a set position, up against guys like McGrath etc.
I love Kallis and his patience is immense, but I wouldn't exactly put my life on the line just yet considering his record against Australia. Maybe after this summer if he does well.

If I had to pick someone to bat for my life, it'd be Dravid. If I had to pick someone to bat for my life IF they were already set, it'd be Lara.

I don't get why people criticise Lara's technique. Why does one have to be orthodox to be reliable? If he can score 375, 400, 277 and 153* under the most pressure you'll probably ever see, I think his technique is fine. Though, he does seem to shuffle more than in previous years though.

Zinzan

Jono said:
I love Kallis and his patience is immense, but I wouldn't exactly put my life on the line just yet considering his record against Australia. Maybe after this summer if he does well.

If I had to pick someone to bat for my life, it'd be Dravid. If I had to pick someone to bat for my life IF they were already set, it'd be Lara.

I don't get why people criticise Lara's technique. Why does one have to be orthodox to be reliable? If he can score 375, 400, 277 and 153* under the most pressure you'll probably ever see, I think his technique is fine. Though, he does seem to shuffle more than in previous years though.
I agree with all the above and I reckon once Lara gets in his technique isn't so important because his quick eye and quick hands take over.....not too mention his incredibly high batlift

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jono said:
IMO in tests, Dravid would take the number 3 spot from Ponting. I just can't see Dravid not being a 'definite' in any team in the world. Tendulkar since the start of 2003 would have to fight it out with Ponting, Lara and Kallis, and probably lose. Granted Hayden's scored 3 tons, but I still rate Sehwag the better opener so I'd have him replaced anyway. Harsh on Haydos though :p

Sehwag
Langer
Dravid
Lara
Ponting
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Pollock/Harmison/Bond (If its Bond bat Warne higher than him)
Warne
Murali
McGrath
Ponting and Dravid have very similar records, so its very harsh to replace the incumbent.

Plus, my major criticism of Dravid (and Kallis) is that they are very one-paced batsmen. Sehwag and Langer could very well get you off to a flier but then Dravid would spend the next hour or 2 knocking the ball around and relying on the batsman at the other end to keep up the tempo.

In a team like this, it probably wouldnt matter but, for mine, Ponting beats Dravid at no. 3 because of his versatility.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Shoaib, like Pollock, is in decline in my opinion.

Shoaib has a bit more time to prove me wrong on that one though. I'd probably be inclined to pick Ntini in that seamers spot right now to be honest, based on form. It's he, Jones or Bond.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Actually, the pace bowling cupboard around the world looks pretty bare. I honestly think Collymore would not be a bad option in any world side.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
magsi23 said:
so no Shoaib Akhtar then?
Way too wild 8-)

My XI

1. Strauss
2. Smith
3. Ponting *
4. Tendaulkar
5. Lara
6. Flintoff