• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Women's Cricket discussion thread

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
There was a recent announcement on ABC radio that the Australian Cricket Team would be now known as the Australian Men's Cricket Team, so as to differentiate it from the Australian Women's Cricket Team, in keeping with these enlightened times. The message is clear, the men's team is not the actual only national cricket team. Whatever.

Now I have no problem with this per se. But what I do wonder is what will happen if a woman at some stage in the future is deemed skilled enough to play in a much higher standard than women's international cricket? Because let's be honest, women's international cricket is at about club level in Australia. And that's fine. It is what it is. But what would happen (and the way I imagine it would be we had a supremely skilled female wicket-keeper or spin bowler, who dominated at int. women's level) if a woman deserved to play a higher standard on merit? Is there an avenue for her to play in the Australian Men's Cricket Team, being that we've now specified that the highest skilled team in the country is actually the men's team?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like the idea of having a female keeper... but I don't know how her batting might be against men. But it can get better along the way....

Bangladesh had to face it the same way...so I assume that a girl in an international team would take less the time of Ashraful's career to 'bloom'.

Himannv

International Coach
What kind of naming convention would work better though? Right now the main distinguishing characteristic is gender so the team names do make sense for the moment.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
There was a recent announcement on ABC radio that the Australian Cricket Team would be now known as the Australian Men's Cricket Team, so as to differentiate it from the Australian Women's Cricket Team, in keeping with these enlightened times. The message is clear, the men's team is not the actual only national cricket team. Whatever.

Now I have no problem with this per se. But what I do wonder is what will happen if a woman at some stage in the future is deemed skilled enough to play in a much higher standard than women's international cricket? Because let's be honest, women's international cricket is at about club level in Australia. And that's fine. It is what it is. But what would happen (and the way I imagine it would be we had a supremely skilled female wicket-keeper or spin bowler, who dominated at int. women's level) if a woman deserved to play a higher standard on merit? Is there an avenue for her to play in the Australian Men's Cricket Team, being that we've now specified that the highest skilled team in the country is actually the men's team?
Women's Cricket and Men's Cricket is being defined as separate. So no matter how dominant this hypothetical she is, no, she wouldn't play with the men's team, just like in almost every other international sport.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yet another boundary broken.

Now if only the one five metres in from the fence could suffer that fate once in awhile.

TheJediBrah

I can't imagine a woman ever becoming close to being good enough for consideration in their national men's cricket team, but who knows what the future will hold

Anyway Red Hill they do it with every other sport as well (keep men's and women's separate) and it seems to work ok. I don't see why anyone would push for a really dominant woman to play in the mens game

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
**** hits the fan when there is a tranny who wants to play cricket.

(Sorry, but someone had to say it!).

cnerd123

likes this
It's fairly common for really good women's players to play in men's club cricket. Usually it's on merit too. Cricket isn't a contact sport, so there really isn't much of an issue if a woman plays with men. It's just a question if she's good enough The main issue is the speed of the ball, both when batting and fielding. Slow loopy spinners go just fine against men's cricketers if they're accurate and can get a bit of turn. Or even a dibbly-dobbly medium pacer at around 70 mph. And we already have women who are fantastic keepers. It's just about adjusting to the faster speed of men's cricket.

If hypothetically there is a woman who is capable of playing men's cricket...I don't see why she should not? Apart from the arbitrary distinction now in place between men and women's cricket?

srbhkshk

International Captain
If hypothetically there is a woman who is capable of playing men's cricket...I don't see why she should not? Apart from the arbitrary distinction now in place between men and women's cricket?
The general argument is that in that case you have no men's team but do have a women's team which is discriminatory. If you allow women to play in men's team then the reverse should be allowed as well which won't work for obvious reasons. On the other hand if you just go for one unified team, then women don't get to play. Quota solutions don't work either because the level gap is too high in most of the cases.

Only real thing that works is to keep the teams separate.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Let's be realistic though, men's international cricket is so far above women's international cricket it's absurd.

But hypothetically, let's say a woman comes along who absolutely dominates women's cricket. She is a spinner equivalent in skill to someone like Anil Kumble or Graham Swann. That's the most likely scenario I see happening. It is judged she is good enough and skilled enough to play a higher level than she is playing.

Will we then have a situation where she is unable to play the higher level because we have now named the international teams based on gender, for PC reasons?

TheJediBrah

Let's be realistic though, men's international cricket is so far above women's international cricket it's absurd.

But hypothetically, let's say a woman comes along who absolutely dominates women's cricket. She is a spinner equivalent in skill to someone like Anil Kumble or Graham Swann. That's the most likely scenario I see happening. It is judged she is good enough and skilled enough to play a higher level than she is playing.

Will we then have a situation where she is unable to play the higher level because we have now named the international teams based on gender, for PC reasons?
this guy explained it pretty well:

The general argument is that in that case you have no men's team but do have a women's team which is discriminatory. If you allow women to play in men's team then the reverse should be allowed as well which won't work for obvious reasons. On the other hand if you just go for one unified team, then women don't get to play. Quota solutions don't work either because the level gap is too high in most of the cases.

Only real thing that works is to keep the teams separate.
I never really thought about it that much in depth but I guess that's where it would inevitably lead

cnerd123

likes this
I mean, you can have a unified National Team (which will basically only men), but also have Women's cricket on the side in order to give women a chance to play. It's not either-or. Women can already play in men's club cricket in most places (if not all), but men can't play in women's club cricket. Just extend that to the national sides too.

I don't see the issue with that tbh. Isn't the point of International cricket to have the best cricketers in each country to face off? And if we accept that cricket is one of those sports where a woman can play alongside men provided she is sufficiently skillful, then it should be okay to have a woman play men's International cricket if she happens to be good enough.

_Ed_

Watching a replay of today's game AWS. Have successfully avoided spoilers thus far.

Love watching cricket at Pukekura Park.

Daemon

Sounds like a fun finish to the WI NZ game. 5 runs needed, 3 runs conceded and 3 wickets taken.

_Ed_

Exciting game.

Don't know what happened to our innings after Devine's 41 (18), but our meagre total was just enough thanks to clutch bowling and fielding. Love this team.

_Ed_

White Ferns dominant again yesterday, without Bates even having to bat. Seven wins in a row (plus one abandonment).

_Ed_

What the heck has happened with Wyatt's batting? She averaged 11.9 in her first 70 T20Is - six games later that average is over 17, with two centuries!