• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Women's cricket

neville cardus

International Debutant
Enjoyed the final, but I do wish they wouldn't bring in the boundaries. There are plenty of male cricketers who haven't the strength or the knack for six-hitting, and they get on just fine. No need to patronise the women. It can be a totally different game if we let it, all about touch and placement and running. Nothing wrong with that.

cnerd123

likes this
I also don't know why they must use a lighter ball. 14 grams isn't making that big a difference

They should be allowed to play under the same conditions as the men, I agree

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I also don't know why they must use a lighter ball. 14 grams isn't making that big a difference

They should be allowed to play under the same conditions as the men, I agree
I didn't even know they did that. Seems stupid. It really is patronising.

Daemon

It's not really the weight of the ball, it's the size. Women tend to have smaller hands which I would imagine makes it harder to bowl spin.

If you've ever bowled with one of those smaller balls you'll notice you can bowl a fair bit faster too. It's definitely needed imo, moreso at the domestic and youth level.

cnerd123

likes this
It's not really the weight of the ball, it's the size. Women tend to have smaller hands which I would imagine makes it harder to bowl spin.

If you've ever bowled with one of those smaller balls you'll notice you can bowl a fair bit faster too. It's definitely needed imo, moreso at the domestic and youth level.
Is it needed to make the game possible to play, or needed for making it better to watch?

I'm fairly certain it was decided to use the smaller ball for the latter, not the former. Same with smaller boundaries.

TheJediBrah

Some men have smaller hands too. A few of the little Sri Lankan and Bangladeshis would have smaller hands then a lot of the women IMO.

You ***ist pig

not srs

Daemon

Some men have smaller hands too. A few of the little Sri Lankan and Bangladeshis would have smaller hands then a lot of the women IMO.
True. Explains why they're so terrible.

There should be a study on hand size and cricketing prowess.

vcs

Women need to improve their running between the wickets (maybe it's just the Indians). Saw so many instances where there'd be an easy 2 or 3 on offer and they'd settle for one.

Marius

International Debutant
Also enjoyed the final, only watched the last ten overs or so of India's innings but really enjoyed it.

Apropos of nothing, my mother played for the Transvaal women's team in the late '60s/early '70s.