• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden on Murali's Action

indiaholic

International Captain
What about that stuff where he places Murali's arm on the table and tries to press down on it? Have no idea why Murali tolerates clowns like these.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, these are acual hacks. Giving everyone a tidbit to pleasure themselves in the article.

harsh.ag

....... In the year the ICC got tough on chuckers, it will take more than a few three-point turns in tight backstreets to prevent a group of cricket writers from keeping their appointment.
This was the worst line of the piece imo.

And it's tempting to wonder what verdict the ICC's new accredited testing centres in Australia, India, South Africa and the UK would have reached on Murali's action...... it seems futile to ask whether he thinks he retired in the nick of time.

....... And if he was not always operating within the laws as they stood at the time

cricket people seem disinclined to change their minds about Murali

These were awful too.

watson

Banned
This article pissed me off massively. Something about the tone makes you think that Murali never proved the veracity of his action to everybody's satisfaction.

Wisden - Tea with Murali
Read the article and liked it. I thought it was balanced and a good reflection of the prevailing opinions.

Not at all offensive unless you have an overly vested interest one way or the other.

Last edited:

indiaholic

International Captain
Read the article and liked it. I thought it was balanced and a good reflection of the prevailing opinions.

Not at all offensive unless you have an overly vested interest one way or the other.
What vested interests interest? He was tested in every possible way and came out clean. Do you hold a similar scepticism towards the theory of evolution or the usefulness of vaccines?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm probably as big a fan of Murali as they come, but even I'm not going to claim he was perfect or that his action was perfectly "legal". It was never actually "proven" either way if you look into it and just watching him live, or even slow the screen down and look at whichever angles you like, get your protractors out if you want, he obviously straightened his arm more than 30 degrees every delivery. That and it's literally a physical impossibility to bowl a doosra within current rules.

Personally I don't think it matters, he still did what no one else could do. If you went up to to every bowler and said "you are allowed to thrown the ball when you bowl", none of them would have been as good as Murali, or even come close probably.

I share equal contempt for those who say "he was a cheater so his achievements don't matter" as I do for those who kid themselves into thinking he didn't straighten his arm.

He made the game more interesting to watch and that's what really matters.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
HE did prove.. It is just that some others dont want to realize and understand facts.
What vested interests interest? He was tested in every possible way and came out clean. Do you hold a similar scepticism towards the theory of evolution or the usefulness of vaccines?
Surely you guys don't actually believe this. And as a scientist I take genuine offense at comparing the "testing" of Murali's action to anything related to actual scientific process.

harsh.ag

I'm probably as big a fan of Murali as they come, but even I'm not going to claim he was perfect or that his action was perfectly "legal". It was never actually "proven" either way if you look into it and just watching him live, or even slow the screen down and look at whichever angles you like, get your protractors out if you want, he obviously straightened his arm more than 30 degrees every delivery.
You obviously don't know what you're talking about.