• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Shane Warne ever make a Century for Australia

Tom Halsey

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
He should be more concerned with getting his bowling form back to the indisputable brilliance of 2005. So far this year its been woeful - averaging 62.
I'm sure he's quaking in his boots - 2 Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And much, much more likely to have it taken from him... even if he does get 4 or 5 drops and 2 missed stumpings in the series.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Warne obviously has an unorthodox technique, but he's got a great deal of talent with the bat, a bit like Wasim Akram he simply doesn't apply himself well enough. If he did he could well have achieved all-rounder status.

He scored two centuries for Hampshire last English season, and of course a 90 in the Ashes, and it seems more than ever that when he takes the time to play himself in properly he's capable of making plenty of runs.

I think maybe he's a bit short on time to make a century, but knowing Warne he'll manage it at the strangest possible time, when Australia is 6/90 and following on or something.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think maybe he's a bit short on time to make a century, but knowing Warne he'll manage it at the strangest possible time, when Australia is 6/90 and following on or something.
I can't see that sort of thing happening in Warne's career - Australia following on is rare enough!

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
He is getting on a bit now and while he could carry on bowling til hes well into his forties.... his reactions are bound to slow down.. and when you have a real stroke maker like he is, you need that eye to carry on playing your shots and pulling it off. i dont see him getting a century..

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Warne is good at test level for a walloped 20 or 30 but often throws it away with reaching for wide ones or being too agressive.

Plus with him being an "eye-player" his batting is bound to decline with age.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I can't see that sort of thing happening in Warne's career - Australia following on is rare enough!
Well until last summer it hadn't happened for something like 18 years...
How many times during that period has someone had the chance to enforce it and declined?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Autobahn said:
Warne is good at test level for a walloped 20 or 30 but often throws it away with reaching for wide ones or being too agressive.

Plus with him being an "eye-player" his batting is bound to decline with age.
Well... all players are eye-players, you don't become a good batsman without being able to pick-up the ball.
I'd expect Warne's batting to have declined before now, if it was going to, frankly.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Well Australia are playing Bangladesh next so you never know...
... nah, he probably won't even get to bat. Got to fancy Ponting to threaten Lara's 400 though.