• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will ODI's die a slow death?

Will ODI cricket die?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
To see what I am referring to, look at Brumby's sig who has Shane Bond quoted there saying ODI cricket will eventually die. Or will it still have a place in the game for man years to come? I know people like Richard would rather watch paint dry then watch a T20 match, but at least IMO it doesn't pretend to be anything it is not, it isn't Test cricket, so doesn't pretend to be, and if you like it you do, if you don't, well you don't.

Craig

World Traveller
It's funny to hate ODI cricket yet it was invented to stop Test cricket from dying as it nearly did in England in the 50's (and 60's I think) as football (soccer) was getting more and more popular.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's funny to hate ODI cricket yet it was invented to stop Test cricket from dying as it nearly did in England in the 50's (and 60's I think) as football (soccer) was getting more and more popular.
You can hate the format while acknowledging its necessity. Even now, most of the cash comes from ODIs, and its used to finance Test cricket. So I understand its existance, but that doesn't mean I like it. However, now that there is a superior format to ODIs which also has the potential to generate income, I would like the ODI format to die. I don't like T20s either, but having both is too much and if I had to choose one, I'd choose T20.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I hope not.

This is not a superior format ...... definitely not with 60 to 65 meter boundaries. For it to be a better format, the least we need is for better skills to be better rewarded. If edges are going to go for sixes I do not see how this can be called a better format.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I do have some problem with it being reduced to a 20 overs contest but I have a much bigger issue with poor shots resulting in runs on a REGULAR basis. Where is the incentive for a batsman to improve his batting skills if he finds that every time he tries to whack a ball out of the ground he is getting caught somewhere or the other around the field.

Where is someone to tell Uthappa that his batting in the tournament so far has been much much worse than his statistics show. Its even worse that the media is not able to point it out too and the spectators at the ground dont care anyway.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can someone explain to me how:
a) ODI cricket pretends to be test cricket
b) a format that has been going on for 40+ years has only NOW suddenly become boring and something that pretends to be test cricket?

These calls didn't exist in 1999. And the argument that NOW T20 has arrived ODI cricket isn't needed is fine, but this bitching about ODI cricket came before T20 became popular.

sideshowtim

Banned
ODI cricket is so much better than T20 that it's not funny. I really hope it doesn't die out, there is still certainly a place for it in our game.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
ODI cricket is so much better than T20 that it's not funny. I really hope it doesn't die out, there is still certainly a place for it in our game.
Yeah, ODI cricket has a whole range of merits that 20/20 cricket doesn't have, and I don't feel that it "pretends" to be anything. I can't see ODI cricket dying out while there's a continued market for it, and I certainly think there is, given that just about every cricket fan I know loathes 20/20, myself included.

If any form of the game is at risk, it's unfortunately test cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
There is still a place for ODI cricket, much rather a 50-over World Cup, then a the Twenty20 World Championship. But really hope we see the end of pointless OD only tours, seven match series and even tri series (especially really long ones like the CB series). If ODIs are kept to just a 2-3 games a tour then I think cricket will be better off.

But the sad fact is that Test cricket brings no money to cricket. Apart from Ashes series and now Border/Gavaskar most Test series countries loss money holding them. With this in mind we probably more likely to see more 2-Test series, 7 ODIs and 5 Twenty20. Now that is what your call dire.

Personally though I think if you reduced ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals, more people will go watch Test cricket. The problem is with Test cricket is not the format, it excess of International. Your average cricket fan just wants to see the national team play, but with so many ODIs, it is easier to watch them over a Test match. If there was a limit to ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals. I think you will find there will be more people watching Test Cricket.

Really the ICC need to make a hard decision here and cut the number of ODIs, or Test cricket might be the one that dies a slow death. There isn't enough time for all three formats, plus cash based domestic competitions.

sideshowtim

Banned
OD only tours only ever occur when there is a need for a split tour...For instance, Australia played a 7 match ODI series in India last season because they wouldn't be able to fit it into the tour later this year.

Craig

World Traveller
There is still a place for ODI cricket, much rather a 50-over World Cup, then a the Twenty20 World Championship. But really hope we see the end of pointless OD only tours, seven match series and even tri series (especially really long ones like the CB series). If ODIs are kept to just a 2-3 games a tour then I think cricket will be better off.

But the sad fact is that Test cricket brings no money to cricket. Apart from Ashes series and now Border/Gavaskar most Test series countries loss money holding them. With this in mind we probably more likely to see more 2-Test series, 7 ODIs and 5 Twenty20. Now that is what your call dire.

Personally though I think if you reduced ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals, more people will go watch Test cricket. The problem is with Test cricket is not the format, it excess of International. Your average cricket fan just wants to see the national team play, but with so many ODIs, it is easier to watch them over a Test match. If there was a limit to ODIs and Twenty20 Internationals. I think you will find there will be more people watching Test Cricket.

Really the ICC need to make a hard decision here and cut the number of ODIs, or Test cricket might be the one that dies a slow death. There isn't enough time for all three formats, plus cash based domestic competitions.
Or really any team that plays against India for mine. England and India would be a biggie as well as is England and South Africa.

OD only tours only ever occur when there is a need for a split tour...For instance, Australia played a 7 match ODI series in India last season because they wouldn't be able to fit it into the tour later this year.
Or if you tour Zimbabwe.

jeevan

International 12th Man
One can make the case that ODI's are the most predictable of the 3 formats.

Tests of course have the widest of possibilities (2 1/2 day innings win to last
ball nail biter tie or to a boring draw).

T20I's have their uncertainities on a much smaller scale, a wicket-maiden or
three successive boundaries can change the entire game. Bowling figures
can easily be 4-1-14-3 or 2-0-40-0. A lot of the times a winning knock is just about 30 runs,
and at other times a century in 60 balls is not enough.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
ODIs were created to fulfil a financial role.

I dont think anyone expected them to be loved or the format respected.

Its a worthless disposable format, like T20, that is no longer relevant.

Formats like ODI and T20 have to have a seperate reason for existing rather than just for the sport itself as they are inferior formats to Test cricket and manufactured games

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe from an Australian POV, but if you look into the fixtures of India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and New Zealand they are quite common. In South Africa and West Indies they are starting to become more common as well. Not to mention the annual Chappell/Haddee series. An ODI only tour is more common in Sri Lanka then a 3-Test series.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Or really any team that plays against India for mine. England and India would be a biggie as well as is England and South Africa.
Sri Lanka wouldn't make any money from hosting India, England or even Australia in a Test series. Whereas they will make up their losses and make some money from the following ODI series or Twenty20 series. We aren't the only country in this sitaution either.