• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Jimmy Anderson play for England again?

Will Jimmy Anderson play for England again?

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think he’s done due to age and injury. Some think he should be wheeled out until he’s 50 for one match a year as long as he wants.

There’s currently no right or wrong, just what you suspect might happen.

FBU

International Debutant
Central Contracts coming up in October

1 Root
2 Stokes
3 Ali
4 Bairstow
5 Buttler
6 Anderson
7 Broad
8 Curran
9 Woakes

Rashid will lose his and Archer will get one.

Bijed

International Regular
I don't think he's ready to call it a day just yet. If he's doing well in the County Championship early next season, he'll at least start the home summer.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes definitely. Anderson, Archer, Broad and Stokes is a magnificent pace attack that I can't wait to see in SA

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
On form and ability he is still the first name picked if fit. It's entirely up to Jimmy really, from what I know about him he is the consumate professional........If he's still got the hunger and desire for it then he plays as long as he wants. He will do the work required to recover from this injury and there is no reason to think he's all of a sudden made of glass.

I will say though with Archer on the scene and Broad back looking very decent when Jimmy does call it a day it doesn't feel like it will be a total disaster for this side........6 months ago it certainly would have.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On form and ability he is still the first name picked if fit.
evidently not though, because he isn't picked now. Of course you could say "he's coming back from injury, not 100% fit" etc etc but realistically at his age he's probably never going to be what "100% fit" as you'd like him to be.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
evidently not though, because he isn't picked now. Of course you could say "he's coming back from injury, not 100% fit" etc etc but realistically at his age he's probably never going to be what "100% fit" as you'd like him to be.
LOL wat?

FBU

International Debutant
If you are a bowler you are never 100% fit. Behind the scenes they are having cortisone injections, pain killers, anti-inflammatories etc.

'Archer revealed that he played with excruciating pain during England's successful World Cup campaign, taking painkillers after sustaining an injury midway into the tournament'.

You would have never known, he looked 100% fit. I'd say a lot of bowlers play with injuries that are managed, Broad heel, Woakes knee, Wood knee and ankle. Anderson ankle....in fact all of them wear an ankle brace, hazards of landing in uneven footholes.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Have people completely forgotten that the last couple of home summers before this one have produced his best ever numbers? He also averaged 9 in division two this season before his calf injury, while Broad was averaging close to 30 (admittedly in division one). Assuming he'll now be finished is a prediction purely based on his birth certificate and not on how he's actually bowled.

It's not like this is the first time he's had an injury in his 30s either. Four years ago he missed the second half of the Ashes and some of the tests in SA with different injuries, and there were people saying he was at the end. I'll believe it when it happens.

Daemon

Head in the sand stuff this. He should be asked to retire, ideally right before the Pataudi.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Have people completely forgotten that the last couple of home summers before this one have produced his best ever numbers? He also averaged 9 in division two this season before his calf injury, while Broad was averaging close to 30 (admittedly in division one). Assuming he'll now be finished is a prediction purely based on his birth certificate and not on how he's actually bowled.

It's not like this is the first time he's had an injury in his 30s either. Four years ago he missed the second half of the Ashes and some of the tests in SA with different injuries, and there were people saying he was at the end. I'll believe it when it happens.
I agree with this because the alternative is depressing

Daemon

Realistically though, all evidence suggests bowlers don’t last that long after 35. Can’t assume he’ll just keep chugging along once this particular injury is gone. He may cost England another match eventually by breaking down again. Maybe they should save him for when the forecast is favourable to prolong his usefulness.

TheJediBrah

Realistically though, all evidence suggests bowlers don’t last that long after 35. Can’t assume he’ll just keep chugging along once this particular injury is gone. He may cost England another match eventually by breaking down again. Maybe they should save him for when the forecast is favourable to prolong his usefulness.
Should trot him out over the next 10-15 years whenever Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Afghanistan tour so he can take bags cheaply and finish with a phenomenal wicket tally and average hence making him a more likely candidate for ATG threads in the coming decades

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think after his retirement against Wawrinka last night we should ask whether Novak Djokovic will ever make the quarters of a grand slam again. He's in his 30s and had an injury that had been bugging him for a couple of weeks before that, so using logic, it's probably best to assume he's now finished.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Playing in 2nd XI games that've been specially arranged for one to prove one's fitness in isn't, I would suggest, the actions of a player who's made his peace with retirement.

I don't think he should be necessarily allowed to name his own retirement date if his form falls off a cliff, but whilst fitness and willingness allow he's probably still our best bowler currently, Archer & Anno Domini notwithstanding.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think after his retirement against Wawrinka last night we should ask whether Novak Djokovic will ever make the quarters of a grand slam again. He's in his 30s and had an injury that had been bugging him for a couple of weeks before that, so using logic, it's probably best to assume he's now finished.
If you think that's anything other than a nonsense comparison, start the thread.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If you think that's anything other than a nonsense comparison, start the thread.
Two athletes in their 30s who were performing at close to their best level (if anything Anderson was probably the one performing closer to his relative peak level) only to have their summer curtailed by an untimely injury issue. Why assume one will come back considerably worse (from averaging 20.19 since 2017 began, to not being one of England's three best seamers) and not the other? Admittedly the comparison would work a bit better if it had happened to Federer, because he and Anderson are both late 30s not early, but the though process is the same.

Burgey

Not really, because relative ages is an important component in why the question gets asked.

Anyway, I hope he does play again. He deserves to go out at the time of his choosing. Been a great servant to English cricket.