• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicketkeeping

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I have volunteered to 'keep for the uni team this season having never done any before. Am I stupid? :laugh:

Don

State Vice-Captain
no ur not i kept my during my last 2 seasons in high school it wasnt that bad. ull get the hang of it soon. dont forget to appeal though

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I've kept quite a bit. Here's my top points

1. Establish your stance. One which you're comfortable with.

2. Pre-match stretching exercises. Have fielders throw you the ball.

3. Watch the ball. From the bowlers hand onwards, follow it and move into position.
This is the single-most important rule.

4. Remember to yield slightly for catches so they stick, not pop out.

5. For run-outs, dont get overly excited. Position yourself, calmly gather and break stumps.

6. If in doubt, break stumps first, ask qs later.

7. And of course, yell HOWZZAT as loud as you can and with conviction

Good Luck !

bond21

Banned
I kept in my early junior years, since then i was a moron and took up fast bowling lol.

Anyway, when you're keeping up close pretend the batsman is not there, if you do and he misses, youll be surprised when the ball comes to you. Dont worry about what the batsman does, just take the ball like theres no batsman.

And wear keeping inners, dont be stupid and wear only gloves.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Yes, of course you're stupid. If you were sane you wouldn't have said yes.

Keep as low as possible as long as possible - stay down until it pitches. Particularly if you play on crap pitches.

Personal #1 tip is ensure you don't close your hands too early on catching as that will lead to finger-enders and breakage, which hurts.

kenny44

Cricket Spectator
Stay on the balls of your feet so your weight is forward. This will help with your lateral movement.

And as a poster or two ago said, pretend the batsman is not there.

Unspinable

Cricket Spectator
I play state titles goalkeeper for soccer and while its not the same when diveing keep your elbowls tucked in or you might break your arm

Engle

State Vice-Captain
I used to practise my diving on concrete, so that doing so on grass was much easier. Practise this left and right. Roll if possible.

Again, dont get excited at a snicked ball and grab at it. Let it settle into the gloves.

And AYPK, practise makes perfect

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Huh ? What gives ?

You can practise your diving in the house (which is what I did), bkyard, basement, whatever it dont matter. Have someone throw a ball and dive for it. In fact you can do it solo. The point is when you've done this many times, it becomes that much easier to do on the field than if you dont practise beforehand.

As for the injury bit, so what ? You play sports, you get injured. I did all the time.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
But injuries in sport aren't usually self-inflicted. They are almost always accidental.
I have never injured myself from diving, winded yes, injured no. Trust me. You will not get injured from diving.

The worst injury was when I stood up to a fastie. The batsmen swung on a ball on middle/leg, missed it, and I got hit in the face.

The point of practise is to make it more difficult than the match situation, so that you could handle the match situation easily, i.e. if you have a swimming pool, that's not the place to practise your diving