• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WI of the 80's or Australia Current?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
epsecially Kaspa...as comparing kaspa to Roberts/Garner is like comparing Zaheer Khan to McGrath.
So, if the gap in class is similar, are you claiming that Kasper is worse than Zaheer Khan since McGrath is better than Roberts/Garner, or that McGrath is worse than Roberts/Garner because Kasper is better than Zaheer Khan? They both seem rather ludicrous claims.

I am not denying that Roberts/Garner were better bowlers than Kasper, but the gap is nothing like what you are claiming here by comparing it to the gap between a poor bowler like Zaheer Khan and a master like McGrath.

C_C

International Captain
McGrath is better slightly than Roberts/Garner and Kaspa is better slightly than Zaheer. Therefore, gap is about the same.
And Kaspa is an ordinary bowler...infact forget kaspa, even Damien Fleming wouldnt hold a candle to Roberts or Garner.
The difference between Roberts/Garner and Kaspa is that of a great bowler and an ordinary one.
While any of the four WI bowlers could walk into this current OZ bowling lineup, only McGrath and Warne could walk into theirs.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree that Kasper's recent form indicates that he is an ordinary bowler. 40+ wickets in a dozen tests this season at an average of 24, and more than half of them played on pitches with absolutely nothing in them for quick bowlers against fair opposition.

Ordinary bowlers do not perform that well in test cricket. He is a step below McGrath and Gillespie, but he is by international standards certainly a good bowler, and would comfortably make a list of the top 10 test bowlers in the world today, while Zaheer Khan would not come close.

edit: apologies, should have said the top 10 test PACE bowlers in the world today, as I think the presence of Warne, Murali, Kumble and Harbhajan might push him to the bottom of the top 10 or out of it entirely.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Without resort to stats, since I have seen enough of both sides, I would say, its a great match up. Lets see. Starting with the easier ones :p

Bowling : The Windies of 80's had a decidedly better pace attack but their bowling was unidimentional (not that it seemed to cause them any problems). The presence of Warne in this Aussie attack provides great balance. EVENS

Keeping : Griffith's all round abilities makes him a better bet. In any event the Windies all-pace attack would not have tested any good keeper.ADVANTAGE AUSTRALIA

Fielding : With the advantage of freshness of memory, one is tempted to say this Aussie side scores but if one thinks back carefully, Lloyd, Richards, Greenidge, Haynes, Logie would have been outstanding in any age. I think here too the sides are well matched. EVENS

Captaincy : I think Lloyd was a better captain than Ponting but I am not sure Ponting is not an equal of Richards. The Windies captains had better oppositions to deal with and also, I dare say, the managers contribution was lesser in those days and inputs from the laptops were limited. Having said that, we could throw in Steve Waugh and match up ! EVENS

Batting : This is the difficult one. Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Lehmann, Clarke, versus Greenige, Haynes, Richards, Gomes, Lloyd, Logie. Since I have taken the keepers and their batting abilities into account (and scored a point for Gilchrist/Australia) I am not including them in the batting line ups. Although Logie was a more than useful batsman. I think considering them one on one, I think The Windies side is a better batting line up. ADVANTAGE WINDIES

Take your pick for over all strength !! :D

My personal favourites would be Windies by a whiff. If they had a spinner, they would challenge most sides over the history of the game. The Australians suffer from not being adequately tested and thus their performances stand diluted due to the overall mediocrity all around them. No fault of theirs, however.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
SJS, good analysis, but one thing I would say is that if the WI best lineup is to be picked so should Australia's.

If I had to select the best Australian lineup I have seen I would pick the one that trounced South Africa 5-1 in the home and away series in 2001/02. Many people might be tempted to go for the side that broke the record for consecutive wins, but I prefer Langer/Hayden as an opening pair to Slater/Hayden, and having Ponting at 3 and Martyn in the side at 6.

So, that lineup is Langer, Hayden, Ponting, M. Waugh, S. Waugh, Martyn, Gilchrist, Warne, Lee, Gillespie, McGrath.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
the WI of the yesteryears were as professional as they come.....they were adept at mental games and were totally dedicated......dont think professionalism is an issue with THAT WI team.
And fitter ? dude- most of those WI players played till their late 30s or 40s.....they were as fit as you get......Holding was brittle...but so is Gillespie and Holding was far less brittle than Gillespie.
Fielding ? That WI team was a SUPERIOR fielding unit......Dujon was a better catcher than Gillchrist....Viv, Haynes and Lloyd had iron-hands.....akin to Mark Taylor category to catching.....and their outfielding was superior.....
Viv and Lloyd were easily two of the best outfielders there.....especially Lloyd in the covers.
professionalism not just in attitude, but in the training, diet etc.

as for fitter - phisically, i dont know but im doubting they have any bowler near as fit as Brett Lee, or any batsman as fit as Hayden - these guys are the physically fittest cricketers the world has ever seen by a country mile.

a superior fielding unit, i doubt it, maybe compared to the best at their time they were a long way in front but they dont have a patch on the likes of Ponting or Hayden, the whole Aussie team has Iron hands. as for comparing Dujon and Gilly, he might have been a better keeper - but you cant really tell how good someone is until they have kept to quality spin, which Gilchrist has in Warne - Gilly aint the best keeper in history, but hes certainly not the worst. and comparing the keepers with the bat is definatley a no contest.

ohh and on age look at the average age of the aussie team, what age did Waugh retire at, 38 or something....

C_C

International Captain
Hayden is very fit but the fittest ?
I think Viv Richards would have something to say for that....he was the original hayden in physique..remember that.
And no one was fitter than Brett Lee ?
Look- when it comes to bowler fitness, NO ONE compares to Kapil Dev.
Out of nearly 18 years of Test cricket and 131 matches, he didnt miss a SINGLE MATCH due to injury.
Now THAT is fitniess.
You seem to hold the notion that if its newer, its better. Not true in many instances.

a superior fielding unit, i doubt it, maybe compared to the best at their time they were a long way in front but they dont have a patch on the likes of Ponting or Hayden, the whole Aussie team has Iron hands. as for comparing Dujon and Gilly, he might have been a better keeper - but you cant really tell how good someone is until they have kept to quality spin, which Gilchrist has in Warne - Gilly aint the best keeper in history, but hes certainly not the worst. and comparing the keepers with the bat is definatley a no contest.
that is the most ridiculous comment ever.
Not a patch on Ponting or Hayden- its the other way round.
The way Lloyd, Viv, Logie, Harper etc. used to field, none of the OZ players come even close.
Lloyd runs Jonty ragged in terms of fielding.... you should've seen him in the covers.

SJS- if they had a murali or a warne, they would've done a wee bit better but you are forgetting that pace-like-fire doesnt NEED a spinner
Relentless, accurate, superfast bowling. That will wear down a batsman on ANY pitch as the WI showed for the better part of 20 years.

As per you rating their bowling equal, i can only laugh.
Bowling is where the WI has the most decisive lead over the aussies.
They had four GREAT bowlers...OZ has 2 great bowlers, 1 good and 1 mediocre bowler.
And the fielding is in favour of the WI as well.... OZ have one great slipper right now- shane warne. WI had three- Lloyd, Richards and Greenidge.
No one of the current era<not even Gibbs> is equal to Lloyd as a covers fielder...or Logie or Harper.... they were just a shade off from Jonty Rhodes category.
Steve Waugh might match up to Richards in captaincy but definately not with Lloyd..infact i think AUS and WI are even stevens in batting because of Gillchrist's superior batting than Dujon's <the top six are split 3-3 or so>.

I disagree that Kasper's recent form indicates that he is an ordinary bowler. 40+ wickets in a dozen tests this season at an average of 24, and more than half of them played on pitches with absolutely nothing in them for quick bowlers against fair opposition.

Ordinary bowlers do not perform that well in test cricket. He is a step below McGrath and Gillespie, but he is by international standards certainly a good bowler, and would comfortably make a list of the top 10 test bowlers in the world today, while Zaheer Khan would not come close.
Kaspa is very very mediocre by international standards. a 30+ average while bowling with 2 great and 1 worldclass bowler on the side is mediocre to say the least.
He is just a shade better than Zaheer and i can name you about 50-60 pacers who were superior to Kaspa.
WI had many awesome bowlers who could not GET into the team because of their vaunted four prong. Bowlers like Croft and Clarke...they would walk into the OZ unit today without breaking a sweat- over gillespie and kaspa.

like i said,comparing Kaspa to Roberts/Garner is akin to comparing Zaheer Khan to McGrath. Sheer stupidity.

But no bowling attack- in any era, anytime- can compare to the WI four prong.
One Shoaib Akhtar was enough to reduce OZ to 80-4...OZ recovered when fed lollypop bowling once shoaib got tired and needed to be replaced.
Now consider FOUR bowlers who are almost as fast as akhtar but with far better accuracy bowling non-stop.
300 would be a real chore against that kind of a bowling attack.

the only side that comes close to beating the WI of the 80s are Bradman's invincibles. But even they caved in to bodyline... and pace like fire was bodyline and half......

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
the only side that comes close to beating the WI of the 80s are Bradman's invincibles. But even they caved in to bodyline... and pace like fire was bodyline and half......
Oh they played in the bodyline series did they ? Interesting :mellow:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Hayden is very fit but the fittest ?
I think Viv Richards would have something to say for that....he was the original hayden in physique..remember that.
And no one was fitter than Brett Lee ?
Look- when it comes to bowler fitness, NO ONE compares to Kapil Dev.
Out of nearly 18 years of Test cricket and 131 matches, he didnt miss a SINGLE MATCH due to injury.
Now THAT is fitniess.
You seem to hold the notion that if its newer, its better. Not true in many instances.

not being injured is not always due to physical fitness...

since when was kapil dev in the west indian teams of the 80's anyway?

Deja moo

International Captain
age_master said:
not being injured is not always due to physical fitness...

since when was kapil dev in the west indian teams of the 80's anyway?
I think he was trying to dispel the notion that newer players are necessarily more fit than those of the 80s.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
The way Lloyd, Viv, Logie, Harper etc. used to field, none of the OZ players come even close.
Lloyd runs Jonty ragged in terms of fielding.... you should've seen him in the covers.
lol i have made far more rediculas comments than that before ;)

ive seen footage of this west indian team before, being to yuong to watch at the time, and while they were good - they weren't that good - you never put your best fielder in the covers ;)

seriously Jonty's best spot, along with ponting is backward point. especially with fast bowling its one of the key positions for catching, stopping balls and attempting run outs.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
there's a 16 year difference between bodyline and the invincibles. i can say with fair assurance that bradman was the only one around for both series.

C_C said:
Wernt Bradman, McCabe,etc. part of the post-war team ?
mccabe certainly wasn't part of the invincibles. we're talking about morris, loxton, neil harvey, miller, etc. mccabe is back with ponsford woodfull and ironmonger.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Kaspa is very very mediocre by international standards. a 30+ average while bowling with 2 great and 1 worldclass bowler on the side is mediocre to say the least.
The 30+ average is beside the point. He had a poor start to his international career, but since returning to the Australian side against Sri Lanka this year he has 40+ wickets at an average of 24, most of those in conditions not at all friendly to seamers. The only pace bowlers in the world at the moment who can match it with any of the Australian quicks, Kasprowicz included, are Harmison, Pollock and Akhtar, and if Bond was currently playing he also might join that group. The suggestion that Kasprowicz is mediocre by modern international standards is ludicrous.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
As per you rating their bowling equal, i can only laugh.
Bowling is where the WI has the most decisive lead over the aussies.
They had four GREAT bowlers...OZ has 2 great bowlers, 1 good and 1 mediocre bowler.
And the fielding is in favour of the WI as well.... OZ have one great slipper right now- shane warne. WI had three- Lloyd, Richards and Greenidge.
No one of the current era<not even Gibbs> is equal to Lloyd as a covers fielder...or Logie or Harper.... they were just a shade off from Jonty Rhodes category.
Steve Waugh might match up to Richards in captaincy but definately not with Lloyd..infact i think AUS and WI are even stevens in batting because of Gillchrist's superior batting than Dujon's <the top six are split 3-3 or so>.
haha Australia slipping up once to shoaib makes them crap? lol it happens to everyone, especially at the WACA.

the bowling is equal because of the king of spin. shane warne, who adds depth and diversity to the attack, not tp mention gives the quicks mroe time to rest.

Australia dont have great slippers at the moment because we are still building up again after the loss of Taylor and M Waugh.

Gilly puts Australia well up on the batting, i would say Richards and Lloyd would be the only 2 who would make the aussie batting lineup on batting alone, replacing Lehmann and the yet to be seen Clarke - though i would have him in on the sub continent anyway

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
there's a 16 year difference between bodyline and the invincibles. i can say with fair assurance that bradman was the only one around for both series.
Correct. No other player was involved in both series.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
C_C said:
You're forgetting that the standard of fielding today is far, far better.

The fielding of the Aussies is rarely noticed amid the searing stops and orbiting stumps, while still being better than the (current) international standard.

Frankly I think there's little to separate them in fielding.

C_C

International Captain
You're forgetting that the standard of fielding today is far, far better.

The fielding of the Aussies is rarely noticed amid the searing stops and orbiting stumps, while still being better than the (current) international standard.

Frankly I think there's little to separate them in fielding.
in general-yes. No question.
But Lloyd, Viv, and the WI were a few cuts above the rest in their time. WI catching was better < 2-3 Shane Warnes int the slips, Dujon was better than Gillchrist against pace bowlers-and that what counts in Dujon's case> and so was the outfielding < no aussie compares to Viv or Lloyd in full cry and if htey sub in and bring in Harper/Logie, thats 4 who are a cut and half above the aussies in terms of fielding>.

haha Australia slipping up once to shoaib makes them crap? lol it happens to everyone, especially at the WACA.

the bowling is equal because of the king of spin. shane warne, who adds depth and diversity to the attack, not tp mention gives the quicks mroe time to rest.

Australia dont have great slippers at the moment because we are still building up again after the loss of Taylor and M Waugh.
one great does not equal up to THREE greats......
thats ridiculous.
When i say that Gillespie would struggle to get into the barbados XI and Kaspa wont even make it to the A-side, do you dispute those statements ? and if you do, substantiate.

Gilly puts Australia well up on the batting, i would say Richards and Lloyd would be the only 2 who would make the aussie batting lineup on batting alone, replacing Lehmann and the yet to be seen Clarke - though i would have him in on the sub continent anyway
Umm Kalli was definately better than Lehmann....averaged almost 50 in those days before his shoulder injury.
One of Greenidge and Haynes definately replaces Langer.

I would say only Gillchrist, Ponting,Hayden,McGrath and Warne would make it into that WI team.

The 30+ average is beside the point. He had a poor start to his international career, but since returning to the Australian side against Sri Lanka this year he has 40+ wickets at an average of 24, most of those in conditions not at all friendly to seamers. The only pace bowlers in the world at the moment who can match it with any of the Australian quicks, Kasprowicz included, are Harmison, Pollock and Akhtar, and if Bond was currently playing he also might join that group. The suggestion that Kasprowicz is mediocre by modern international standards is ludicrous.
He is mediocre by overall standards.
A player is not guaged by one or two purple patches but OVERALL in their career.
Picking purple-patches can be very misleading.
Kaspa has 40+ wickets at 24 average while bowling to pretty pathetic opposition batsmen- Pakistan, Zimbabwe, etc etc.
The WI quicks had 20+,20+,23+ and 24+ average over a span of 10+ years bowling in good and bad wickets for pace bowling.
Kaspa has a 30+ average throughout his career....that is plain and simple, mediocre by international standards.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Kaspa has 40+ wickets at 24 average while bowling to pretty pathetic opposition batsmen- Pakistan, Zimbabwe, etc etc.
[\QUOTE]

Err, what? He got those wickets against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka, on pitches built for turn, and then in Australia, then against India in India, again on pitches with no lateral movement for quick bowlers, then against New Zealand and Pakistan on flat batting wickets...

C_C

International Captain
ive seen footage of this west indian team before, being to yuong to watch at the time, and while they were good - they weren't that good - you never put your best fielder in the covers
And in the point/backward point was the other colossus of alltime fielding- Viv Richards.
Lloyd fielded at point/backward point during his early years...then WI had a very mediocre patch with regards to pace bowlers ( late 60s/early 70s) and Lloyd switched to Covers, where he dominated like no other.
By the time the vaunted four prong had materialised, Viv Richards was either in the slips or in point/backward point.
You cant have two people standing on the same position, can ya ?