• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WI Champions Trophy Squad - the joke of the century?

elcid

Cricket Spectator
Injured Edwards named in squad | Cricket News | ICC Champions Trophy 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Well, the Champions Trophy squad has been announced:
1 Ryan Austin, 2 Christopher Barnwell, 3 David Bernard, 4 Tino Best, 5 Royston Crandon, 6 Romel Currency, 7 Travis Dowlin, 8 Fidel Edwards, 9 Rayad Emrit, 10 Andre Fletcher, 11 Ryan Hinds, 12 Leon Johnson, 13 Anthony Martin, 14 Kevin McClean, 15 Nikita Miller, 16 Nelon Pascal, 17 Brenton Parchment, 18 Omar Phillips, 19 Daren Powell, 20 Kieran Powell, 21 Floyd Reifer, 22 Dale Richards, 23 Kemar Roach, 24 Darren Sammy, 25 Shane Shillingford, 26 Devon Smith, 27 Kevin Stoute, 28 Devon Thomas, 29 Gavin Tonge, 30 Chadwick Walton

I just dont know what to say. Can a side be picked from this squad that can actually win any matches in the Champions Trophy? Or is this a joke? Best? Currency? Hinds? Parchment? Powell? Richards? Reifer??????

Pakistan, Australia and India. You better watch out!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I have to admit that I don't know many of those names, but without wishing to derail the thread too catastrophically it is worth me pointing out what incredible names they are?

Royston Crandon
Romel Currency
Nelon Pascal
Brenton Parchment
Floyd Reifer
Chadwick Walton

Poetry.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I have to admit that I don't know many of those names, but without wishing to derail the thread too catastrophically it is worth me pointing out what incredible names they are?

Royston Crandon
Romel Currency
Nelon Pascal
Brenton Parchment
Floyd Reifer
Chadwick Walton

Poetry.
Two of said names have one thing in common - and I bet you can't guess what it is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Crandon and Walton.. Both towns or villages somewhere near you in England?
Nope. I'll give anyone who wants one a clue - it's Brenton Parchment and Rommel Currency who are involved. Outside chance someone non-Caribbean can spot the link; Camps or Rose might be able to discern it immediately.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Nope. I'll give anyone who wants one a clue - it's Brenton Parchment and Rommel Currency who are involved. Outside chance someone non-Caribbean can spot the link; Camps or Rose might be able to discern it immediately.
Is it that one of them is named after what they write on in the Caribbean and one of them is named after what they exchange for goods in the Caribbean?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Struggling to see what Richard's on about but will probably slap my head once he spills it.

gvenkat

State Captain
Both are made of paper? :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Struggling to see what Richard's on about but will probably slap my head once he spills it.
TBH, it's the fact that I noticed both purely because of the excellence of their names, and would not have done so but for the attention-grabbing proficiency of the man I first saw them down playing number-two to his number-one.

That number-one man being Devon Smith.

Smith
Parchment
was the opening combo on West Indies under-19's tour to England in 2001.

Smith
Currency
was the opening combo for Windward Islands either 6 or 18 months (can't remember which) later when I kept an eye out for Smith in the Caribbean.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, it's the fact that I noticed both purely because of the excellence of their names, and would not have done so but for the attention-grabbing proficiency of the man I first saw them down playing number-two to his number-one.

That number-one man being Devon Smith.

Smith
Parchment
was the opening combo on West Indies under-19's tour to England in 2001.

Smith
Currency
was the opening combo for Windward Islands either 6 or 18 months (can't remember which) later when I kept an eye out for Smith in the Caribbean.

Bet you're really kicking yourself there Roseboy.