• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why McGrath is the best

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Cooley joked he would "sit and listen for a while" when asked how he could help a man with 542 Test wickets. "We've got to get his preparation right and hopefully I can have an input on that and make sure he's ready and fit when he wants to go," he said. "I don't plan any changes to his action but he wants to get quicker so we'll try and work on that."

WTF? The man is almost 37 years old and has 542 wickets to his name...and he wants to get quicker.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Maybe he has lost a yard during his layoff and he wants to get back at his regular speed.

Why he is the best ever?

1.Classical Action
2.Robotic accuracy
3.Extra bounce
4.Command over all the neccessary tools that are needed.

FRAZ

International Captain
McGrath is the length chamipon .Best Length in the world and his in-dipper is just a killer and he was fortunate enough to be born in Australia too because Aussies wickets are just perfect for him to go on and show his display ..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
He is certainly up there, but not the best of all time imho:)
Whilst I may agree with you, and I probably do, it is hard to counter any argument that says he is. This is probably due to the fact that despite my opinion maybe he really is the best ever.

I find it really hard to think of any really good reasons apart from personal preference to put forward to make the claim that he was/is not the best.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think that a lot of people who claim he isn't the best ever have that image of the intimitadory, tear-away fast bowler ingrained in their minds. McGrath isn't going to make a batsman that scared, but he will get him out. And that's why he's the best for mine; he doesn't have 150+ pace, but he gets wickets through his consistency and patience.

Steulen

International Regular
What makes McGrath great is that he doesn't normally have huge swing or seam movement. What he does get is just enough to keep batsmen confused, kiss edges and rattle stumps. Less is more, in his case.

archie mac

International Coach
Well let me say I think he may have really struggled in the 60s, simply because I think they would have just let most of his deliveries alone outside off stump.

I can't remember when the not offering a shot to a ball outside off stump came in?

I remember a few years back when NZ decided to leave Mcgrath alone as much as possible, and I think his figures were well down. ( I think in the end the series finished 0-0)

I wonder how he would have faired agaist Ken Barrington and Sir Boycott:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Well let me say I think he may have really struggled in the 60s, simply because I think they would have just let most of his deliveries alone outside off stump.

I can't remember when the not offering a shot to a ball outside off stump came in?

I remember a few years back when NZ decided to leave Mcgrath alone as much as possible, and I think his figures were well down. ( I think in the end the series finished 0-0)

I wonder how he would have faired agaist Ken Barrington and Sir Boycott:)
1930s IIRC EDIT- or 1970 depending on what you meant

I think he would have done very well against Boycott. I'm a huge Boycott fan but he would having playing at virtually every ball (Boycott was a great leaver) and he only needs that tiny movement to get the edge.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
1930s IIRC EDIT- or 1970 depending on what you meant

I think he would have done very well against Boycott. I'm a huge Boycott fan but he would having playing at virtually every ball (Boycott was a great leaver) and he only needs that tiny movement to get the edge.
The 1930s was where the ball no longer had to pitch stump to stump to be out LBW

So I imagine it would be the 1970s law you speak of :)

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I wonder how he would have faired agaist Ken Barrington and Sir Boycott
Notice how that tactic only worked for one series. In the subsequent series, they tried it again and McGrath blitzed NZ. Great bowlers know when they're being dominated and adjust. McGrath, for that reason among many others, should be regarded in the top echelon.

C_C

International Captain
He, alongside Marshall, Hadlee, Imran and Ambrose make up my top 5 alltime non-spin bowlers.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
Notice how that tactic only worked for one series. In the subsequent series, they tried it again and McGrath blitzed NZ. Great bowlers know when they're being dominated and adjust. McGrath, for that reason among many others, should be regarded in the top echelon.

defenately

FRAZ

International Captain
My list of greatest ever

Mcgrath
Waqar Younis
Marshall
Holding
Wasim Akram
Imran Khan
Shoaib Akhtar
Joel Garner
Andy Roberts
Dennis

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McGrath takes wickets, concedes limited runs, destroys the oppos best players whilst being neither fast or a big mover of the ball.

We've another thread on here debating whether Dravid is the best sub-continent batsman of all time yet he has never looked like scoring a run vs him - that's how good he is.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
FRAZ said:
My list of greatest ever

Mcgrath
Waqar Younis
Marshall
Holding
Wasim Akram
Imran Khan
Shoaib Akhtar
Joel Garner
Andy Roberts
Dennis

No offense, but get Shoaib Akhtar off that list.