• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why is it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
...that the majority of people who have been banned from playing international cricket by the ICC (for corruption) are from the subcontinent?

Serious question.

When you add it all up, a total of 14 players from the subcontinent have been banned by the ICC for being corrupt (5 from India, 7 from Pakistan, 2 from Bangladesh, and 1 from Sri Lanka).

That is more than the combined total of all other nations put together (which is 11).

In other words more than 50% of all corruption related bans have gone to the subcontinent, and the majority of these have gone to two nations specifically. This seems disproportionately high.

Is there some reason which explains why people from these countries appear to be partciularly susceptible to being corrupt?

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
It's probably a financial thing. I don't have any stats on hand (it's 4:17am, cut me some slack) but I'd say the proportion of players coming from poverty in those subcontinental nations is far higher than those of the typically white western nations like Aus, the UK etc. Combine that with (again, assumptions) are probably lower pay for players (probably excluding India I guess, tho I can't remember any recent Indian examples so perhaps this was a factor in the past) you get a bit of a situation.

Spot fixing is especially tempting in this case. Heres a few thousand dollars to bowl a no ball here or there. Would probably be tough to turn down.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, I guess it could be a cultural/societal thing. Some cultures and societies are inherently corrupt, or at least are underpinned by elements of dishonesty. I suppose it's conceivable that some subcontinent countries could fall into this bracket, but I had never really thought about it until now. I suppose it would explain a few things.

andmark

International Captain
Yeah, I guess it could be a cultural/societal thing. Some cultures and societies are inherently corrupt, or at least are underpinned by elements of dishonesty. I suppose it's conceivable that some subcontinent countries could fall into this bracket, but I had never really thought about it until now. I suppose it would explain a few things.
I expect things like poverty and states having less control over law and order enabling corruption rather than any sort of cultural thing.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah I suppose tehre is an argument that can be made re: these countries not being properly ordered/controlled.

Bolo

State Captain
Legality of gambling is a major factor in addition to the things mentioned. As far as I know, India doesn't have legitimate bookies. Maybe the rest of the SC too. It can still happen elsewhere, but you probably get a hundred times more attempts where gambling is illegal.

Had a huge one in RSA a few years ago. Handled by CSA. Lonwabo tsotsobe and one or two other big names

Tec15

First Class Debutant
The corrupt players from say, England and Australia (To pick two random countries from a hat :whistling) are savvier at getting away with it. Not to mention the access to expensive lawyers who can keep such unpleasantness from rising to official ICC bans with libel suits, "Cairns", cough.:sleep:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes I’m sure Mohammad Azharrudin had to get legal aid for his defence.

It’s because gambling is illegal in India. Until it’s legalised, India will continue to stink up world cricket with its endemic, ingrained corruption. Been a blight on world cricket since the 1940s.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
In the third world, extreme poverty alongside extreme wealth leads to poor players being seduced by big money and by minor criminal cartels.

In the first world, the players have more to lose, and so either don't cheat or resort to much more sneakier forms of cheating.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's mostly socioeconomic really. And Indian cricketers aren't paid very much by the BCCI as a proportion of revenue. Australian cricketers are payed relatively a lot more, especially at first class level.

cpr

International Coach
There's also the element of who's behind the offers. Gambling is a massive money spinner for criminals in Asia, where alcohol/drugs aren't that appealing (less takers/larger punishments). Whilst drugs/alcohol are pretty consistent income streams (take drugs, sell at X price etc), gambling varies based on whats going on, so it makes sense for those running the rings to control the variables - ie the players. Its creeped into other sports around the world too - We've had enough issues in the Premier league with the Segars/Grobbelaar match fixing issues, then the random 'floodlight failure's' that made a fortune for gambling rings years back.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah it’s just India. It’s their one gift to the game, and it’s poisoned. People just need to accept that’s what it is and ban them from world cricket until they legalise gambling.

Status
Not open for further replies.