• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why England don't rate Willey's batting?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
liam plunkett is a top drawer, broad-esque lower order troll.

since his return to the odi team in 2015 he's faced 98 deliveries and scored 168 runs at a sr of 171.

Bijed

International Regular
No one went for a stiff joke yet? Disappoint.
Would you agree that he knows how to hold the wood and can go hard, but needs to use his head more?

Also that he can struggle with penetrating the field.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
sorry but if you're trying to claim that County cricket is as good a standard (or better) than the Shield then you're really confused. As to the rest of your post regarding whether it's a "good" or "bad" thing, that's great but not really what I was talking about.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, just that for a certain player to be performing in that competition is not necessarily as good an endorsement as some other domestic competitions in the world with a higher standard. Which is what the thread was supposed to be about wasn't it?

That's fair though. I'll cop that I really don't know **** about other domestic competitions, and was excessive with my use of the term "most" given that pretty much the only ones I do know about are England's and Australia's.
I'm sorry but you claimed England's is the worst domestic competition in cricket yet could not even name the correct number of counties, and did not even seem to realise that it had been split into two divisions for years. I highly doubt you've ever watched it. Regarding Australia's, I have only watched one full Sheffield Shield match, the last final, so cannot really comment on the quality of the Shield. All I do know is what I saw did not impress me. It was a dull road, and was decided (the entire competition that is) by some weird rule whereby one of the teams only needed to draw to win the thing. It was also played out in a barren desert in front of nobody - county games are positively teeming with people in comparison! There were no overseas players either, which I have always thought were good for the game in numbers of around two-three. It did not strike me as a very good competition in any which way, but as I said, I may be wrong as this was the first Shield match watched.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Willey is not a better batsman than Rashid or Ali so he should come below them but I do agree, if he has to bat below PLunkett it's a bit idiotic, which is why I batted him higher in the team I picked. Willey is a decent bat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For me he shouldn't be in the team. Not a good enough bowler to rely upon and his only batting success domestically is opening which he's clearly not hot a hope in hell of doing.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sorry but you claimed England's is the worst domestic competition in cricket yet could not even name the correct number of counties, and did not even seem to realise that it had been split into two divisions for years. I highly doubt you've ever watched it. Regarding Australia's, I have only watched one full Sheffield Shield match, the last final, so cannot really comment on the quality of the Shield. All I do know is what I saw did not impress me. It was a dull road, and was decided (the entire competition that is) by some weird rule whereby one of the teams only needed to draw to win the thing. It was also played out in a barren desert in front of nobody - county games are positively teeming with people in comparison! There were no overseas players either, which I have always thought were good for the game in numbers of around two-three. It did not strike me as a very good competition in any which way, but as I said, I may be wrong as this was the first Shield match watched.
ok bro but again, not really related to anything I was saying. I really wasn't saying anything that you seem to think I was implying, so you can relax

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Willey is not a better batsman than Rashid or Ali so he should come below them but I do agree, if he has to bat below PLunkett it's a bit idiotic, which is why I batted him higher in the team I picked. Willey is a decent bat.
Plunkett strikes at 170. He's the ideal number 8 for ODIs.

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Plunkett strikes at 170. He's the ideal number 8 for ODIs.
No he does not. Avg of 21 and SR of 101. Yes he can slog it a bit and he is fine coming in below Ali (multiple domestic and international centuries), Rashid (multiple FC centuries) and Stokes (a better pure striker of the ball).

Moonsorrow999

U19 Debutant
'I can't really comment on the quality of the shield' - progresses to comment on what you just said you couldn't comment on which has pretty much nothing to do with the subject at hand anyway. Good job.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
'I can't really comment on the quality of the shield' - progresses to comment on what you just said you couldn't comment on which has pretty much nothing to do with the subject at hand anyway. Good job.
You left out the bit when I said, ''all I do know'' and commenced thus.