• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why Campbell replaced Gilchrist

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Many people would not have thought of Ryan Campbell as the obvious choice to replace Adam Gilchrist, on leave from the Australian one-day team due to personal reasons. But consider the alternatives:

* Wade Seccombe (Qld) - is more suited to four day matches. Swings the bat alright, but isn't a batsman who could bat at seven and make a quick 20-30.

* Brad Haddin (NSW) - more obvious choice, but is very out of form. Watched his ING Cup performance on Saturday, and he looked like he was struggling to keep and open the batting.

* Darren Berry (Vic) - good gloveman, but would be the weakest of the keepers in Australia batting-wise.

* Sean Clingeleffer (Tas) and Graham Manou (SA) - too young and inexperienced. What if Cairns edges one, they drop it, and Cairns makes 100? That may set them back years.

Campbell, on the other hand, fulfils a number of criteria:

* He can open the batting
* He can score quickly
* He's 30 (unlikely to get many more chances at the top level)
* And he's a handy gloveman to boot.

So while it doesn't surprise me that Campbell was given the nod, it is rather interesting that exactly eight years ago, another Western Australian wicket-keeper was brought in after the regular keeper was injured. It was the 'keeper's first ODI in seven years. The keeper? Tim Zoehrer.

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
hahahahaha :) good old ziggy zoehrer.

I remember on the Ashes Tour of 93 he took wickets with his leg spin and there were whispers going round he might play as a all rounder!

Does anyone remember Phil Emery? Thats who Ryan Campbell is probably going to end up like.

Phil played one test and one ODI, the only time during Ian Healys long career he was injured.

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'd have the fumbles too if it was my only match for Australia :)

Interesting to note the words of Gideon Haigh (respected Australian cricketing journalist) who said that Campbell was selected because he "was a good one-day slogger and has had a reasonable season"...

Swing

Cricket Spectator
Ahh, Tim Zoehrer. Quite a nice chap to talk to if not a little to polite.

Hm, Hayden hit 1151 runs on that tour (in the FC games) at an average of 57.65. Nice.

Martyn also stumped an unfortunate fellow.

Zoehrer snagged 12 wickets with 3-16 as his best bowling @ 20.83. Not bad for Ziggy.

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
If im not mistaken Damien Martyn (the other "young gun" batsmen on that tour) also averaged over 60 in the FC Matches.

I believe he also hit 51* in the Texaco Trophy at Lords.

G

How about Shane Warne taking the 'keeping gloves, IMAGINE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

[Edited on 2/13/02 by James]