• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to win?

Who's going to win the 2009 Ashes?

• Total voters

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man
I want England to win but have to back Australia. I believe it will be far closer than 07 but could well see Australia winning 2-1 or 2-0. England are still trying to fit their team tobether and work out who is best where and such like. While the Australian side does have a few changes to it I would say they are a far more settled side and I think that will give them the edge.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
5-0 given good weather imo. Just can't see England bowling Australia out twice in any match and the batting will crumble at least once a test. Can see England losing one after declaring in the first innings though

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In all seriousness though, 5-0 has only ever happened about three times hasn't it? Don't fancy the chances of lightning striking twice so soon and really don't think this Australia team is quite out of the absolute elite like the one that did a number on us in 06/07

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Worth remembering that the '89 four-nil would almost certainly have been six-nil but for rain. And this too in one of the driest, sunniest summers on record in the UK.

I was also pretty sure that the return series to (either before or after) the BaggyGreenWash was also a 4-0 TBH, but it's most unlike Haakon to get factual details wrong, so I presume I'm recalling incorrectly.

One interesting thing is has there ever been an Ashes in England of five or six Tests where there were no drawn matches? (There was also a four-Test one in 1975 of course but I know beyond doubt there were three draws there, although one was caused by the pitch being vandalised).

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I was also pretty sure that the return series to (either before or after) the BaggyGreenWash was also a 4-0 TBH, but it's most unlike Haakon to get factual details wrong, so I presume I'm recalling incorrectly.
Nup, 3-0 in 90/91. Draw at Sydney (despite e e hemmings and the Cat bowling 78 of 89 overs and taking 8 between them) to take the Ashes by the Third Test, then a draw in Adelaide to seal the won series.

One interesting thing is has there ever been an Ashes in England of five or six Tests where there were no drawn matches? (There was also a four-Test one in 1975 of course but I know beyond doubt there were three draws there, although one was caused by the pitch being vandalised).
2001. All thanks to Butcher & Gilchrist.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nup, 3-0 in 90/91. Draw at Sydney (despite e e hemmings and the Cat bowling 78 of 89 overs and taking 8 between them) to take the Ashes by the Third Test, then a draw in Adelaide to seal the won series.
No, no, wasn't referring to 1989 (I'm very well-versed in 1990/91 and that infamous SCG game - why on Earth Gooch didn't bring back Malcolm the minute the rank rabbits Rackemann, Reid and Alderman were at the crease I'll never know), was referring to the one that actually was - in Australia in the 1920s, I forget whether it was '20/21 or '21/22 or what. There was a series in England, right before or right after, that was also almost a BaggyGreenWash - and I think it was four-nil.
2001. All thanks to Butcher & Gilchrist.
Of course, how on Earth could I forget that?

A rare Test where rain gave a side the chance to win rather than draw. Almost certainly would've been a five-nil had lost play been make-up-able. Mind, England should never, ever have lost that Fifth Test either.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
1921 was 3-0, there was a (rain effected) draw at Old Trafford and another draw at the Oval.

England won 1-0 in 26

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
My naural pessimism makes my immediate impulse to say 5-0 to Australia, but I do think that the weather will play it's part, so I'll predict 3-0 to the Aussies.

For England to win a single test, someone like Anderson will have to have one of his ocassional red letter days and the Aussies would have to seriously underperform.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My naural pessimism makes my immediate impulse to say 5-0 to Australia, but I do think that the weather will play it's part, so I'll predict 3-0 to the Aussies.

For England to win a single test, someone like Anderson will have to have one of his ocassional red letter days and the Aussies would have to seriously underperform.
Don't think the gap's that big tbh, especially given our lack of experience and/ or success in English conditions at Test level.

Katich - no good there last time
Hughes - unknown
Ponting - serviceable but not outstanding last time
Hussey - unknown and long-term out of form
Clarke - not great last time, but a better player now in Tests
Watson - generally will be in Charing Cross Hospital. If anyone can get the bird flu on a tour to England without going anywhere near Mexico, it's Watto
North - unknown
Haddin - unknown
Lee - failed there before
Johnson - unknown
Clark - unknown
Hauritz/ Krezja/ McGain - unknown and variously impotent/ potent but expensive/ impotet and expensive.
Siddle/ Bollinger/ Hilfy - all unknown

Of course, not all these players will under perform, but likewise not all of them will succeed. I think we'll win, but I'm not sure it'll be a comprehensive as you suggest :)

Steulen

International Regular
Katich was actually the best batsman in the first Test in '05 and he's in good form. Hussey should come good as class is yadda yadda. Hughes will have a hughe series if he can maintain his current County form. And then there's the folks who can be expected to perform to ability, such as Ponting and Clarke, with useful lower order runs from Haddin and Johnson. No worries there, then.

I am expecting Australia to field an attack of Lee-Clark-Johnson-Siddle, with North filling in as spinner. Again, no real worries unless Clark and Lee have lost it during their injuries. In fact, England's best optiion might be to prepare raging turners as Swann is comfortably a better spinner than anything Australia can field atm.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was bored at the weekend so mailed the England and Wales Cricket Board asking if we were going to win the Ashes. Disappointed with their response to be honest

Hello Martyn

Thanks for your email

Can't guarantee it! but we all hope so too!

best wishes

ECB Feedback

Last edited: