• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to be the best ODI spinner in next 5 years

Who is going to be the best ODI spinner for the next 5 years?

• Total voters

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, he should hopefully be hit out of ODI cricket before too long. :D
Not sure about Hauritz, but Swann almost certainly does.
Why the anti-Hauritz stance? He's not going to rip through a side but he's definitely the best choice for Australia at the moment and he's been performing very consistently since being picked again.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Shakib Al Hasan in with a shot too.

It would be:

Vettori
Afridi
Mishra
Shakib
Harbhajan (If he gets back into his old form) / Ojha (Very young spinner who has time to develop)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why the anti-Hauritz stance? He's not going to rip through a side but he's definitely the best choice for Australia at the moment and he's been performing very consistently since being picked again.
He doesn't take enough wickets in ODIs, and you know how much Richard values wickets. :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Undoubtedly the best short-form spinner in the country and undoubtedly currently worthy of a place but I don't feel he's the sort of bowler who good batsmen should be tied down by - he has neither the spin, pace, flatness nor variation to be bowling at less than 70 mph and being successful in ODIs. I'd say good batting will see him go for plenty.

If in the long-run there aren't five seamers who could do a better job I'll be surprised.

Johnners

His record to date agaist international batsmen is good enough. Obviously it's only a small number of matches, but given the way he's bowled since his return to the ODI team, I'm confident he'll maintain a bowling average around 25-27.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure Mishra's terribly well-regarded as a one-day bowler is he?
He currently holds the role of second spinner for India, behind Harbhajan Singh. Although I feel that it is right that the veteran who will keep things tight is given preference as first spinner, I do feel that Mishra is actually a slightly better ODI bowler and has the potential to be a stalwart in the India ODI team for years to come.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He currently holds the role of second spinner for India, behind Harbhajan Singh. Although I feel that it is right that the veteran who will keep things tight is given preference as first spinner, I do feel that Mishra is actually a slightly better ODI bowler and has the potential to be a stalwart in the India ODI team for years to come.
Yep. Should have chosen him ahead of Harbhajan in the Champions Trophy earlier games IMO as I said at the time but the likelihood of that happening was next to zero. Will be interesting to see how the two spinners do in the series v Australia, a team against whom Harbhajan is generally strong.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yep. Should have chosen him ahead of Harbhajan in the Champions Trophy earlier games IMO as I said at the time but the likelihood of that happening was next to zero. Will be interesting to see how the two spinners do in the series v Australia, a team against whom Harbhajan is generally strong.
That's a bit of a myth though.. His ODI record against Australia sucks, period.

andyc

Haha, wow. I actually had no idea that his record against Australia in ODIs is so poor; an average of almost 50 from 28 games, which is even worse inside India. I guess it's just easy to assume that since he goes well against them in Tests that it'd be replicated in ODIs.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
What spinner does well against Aus in ODI's though?
Vettori averages 40
Murali averages 31.6
Kumble 52.6

Afridi has a good average, 27.51

Otherwise it's all about the economy I'd say.
Afridi 4.26
Vettori: 4.15
Murali: 4.50
Kumble: 5.42
Harby: 4.56

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ajmal vs Aus - Avg 31.7, ER 3.4

That is some bolwling. But it's not the same Aussies that Murali, Kumble and Saqlain bowled to

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, wow. I actually had no idea that his record against Australia in ODIs is so poor; an average of almost 50 from 28 games, which is even worse inside India. I guess it's just easy to assume that since he goes well against them in Tests that it'd be replicated in ODIs.
Economy of 4.65 against Australia is still pretty solid though. Tbh, through some intropolation, it is evident thar he gets through 9-0-43-1 on average, which is not terrible.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, Shakib or Vettori.

Chawla could be an outsider as well.

And the Bangladeshis had some handy-looking spinners when their U19s came over here last summer. It's difficult to work out at that age though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
His record to date agaist international batsmen is good enough. Obviously it's only a small number of matches, but given the way he's bowled since his return to the ODI team, I'm confident he'll maintain a bowling average around 25-27.
I'm also confident he won't. His record since his return earlier this year is decent enough (it certainly wasn't before then), yes, but precious few have ever achieved long-term success bowling in the manner he has bowled in that time, so I don't think it's too much to ask that Hauritz won't break that mould.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not sure I agree with this at all. Sure, the overall figures (economy-rate 4.65, average 48.54) aren't good, but in reality on a game-by-game basis it's not really too bad. He's played 28 games against Australia (didn't bowl once), of which I'd say only 9 could be classed as genuine shockers (ie he's conceded 5.2-an-over or more). 19 decent-to-good games out of 27 is more than acceptable in my book.

As is usually the case, the overall figures aren't very reliable over a large sample size.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Could a mod sort out the title please? Whose?!? :sick:

As to the question at hand, I really don't know. Mendis seems to have been worked out somewhat after he initially burst onto the scene (for all his variations he's not actually a huge turner of the ball in either direction) & Shakib's figures are maybe a tad flattering due to the quality of the oppo he usually faces. In fact, if one limits him to "proper" ODI teams he averages 43.42 with a ER of 4.72.

van der Merwe, anyone? One of those bowlers who looks a bit innocuous, but seems to bowl his overs quickly for not all that many.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What spinner does well against Aus in ODI's though?
Vettori averages 40
Murali averages 31.6
Kumble 52.6

Afridi has a good average, 27.51

Otherwise it's all about the economy I'd say.
Afridi 4.26
Vettori: 4.15
Murali: 4.50
Kumble: 5.42
Harby: 4.56
Swann averages 22.44 against them with an econ of 4.48

:ph34r: