• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you pick first

Which player would you select first??

• Michael Clarke

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Ricky Ponting

• Shane Warne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glenn McGrath

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Harbhajan Singh

• Irfan Pathan

• Sean Pollock

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Graeme Smith

• Danish Kaneria

• Kevin Pietersen

• Brian Lara

• Muttiah Murilitharan

• Kumar Sangakarra

• other (please specify)

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hypothetical:

- tomorrow a world club cricket championship is set up tomorrow, a bit like a soccer league which is able to sign players from all over the world.

- you have been named the manager/coach of one of the clubs and have been told to go sign some players and have been given an unlmiited bank account to sign players.

Which player would be the signature you'd go after??

(I've selected a mix of the top players and the young stars)

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd go for Graeme Smith first up.

1) He has a very good international record and could get even better
2) Of the guys on the list who have so far produced at international level for at least 12-18 months, he's the youngest
3) He has shown leadership qualities (I do believe he'll make a good captain despite the decline of South Africa recently)
4) He's a fantastic fieldsman

I would go for Irfan Pathan, as i believe that in next two years the guy would become the best fast bowler in the world.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
vandemataram said:
I would go for Irfan Pathan, as i believe that in next two years the guy would become the best fast bowler in the world.
But he isn't currently, so why would he be first on your list?

shaka

International Regular
I would have to say Gilchrist through his ability to hit big shots and also to keep his wicket intact. However Gilchrist tends to hit too many through the pull/hook shot or the cut shot.

masterblaster

International Captain
Glenn McGrath first, its the bowling that wins you matches.
Shane Warne second, Adam Gilchrist third, Sachin Tendulkar 4th.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
mine would have to be Adam Gilchrist. The most destructive batsman cricketer with the best temperament in the game...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gilchrist -by far the most damaging cricketer in world cricket and irreplaceable in his position.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My vote goes to Shaun Pollock. I know there is Mcgrath, Gilly & Warne there. However, Pollock has the heart, the talent and the desire. He is economical and a wicket taker and can chip in with a few handy runs.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Neil Pickup said:
My first name on any team sheet would be Rahul Dravid.
a wise choice, i dont think many would go against that and if they did they would be most unwise.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
There's a few players on that list that have excellent cases for them, but I'd say McGrath. One of the greatest seamers to ever play the game, and based on recent form easily the best bowler in the world today. Has a few years left in him, as well.

Black Thunder

School Boy/Girl Captain
LongHopCassidy said:
But he isn't currently, so why would he be first on your list?
i went for Smith as a bit of a view for the future.

The question isn't exactly who would be the first person picked in a world XI, it's who's signature would you go after first if there were a world club competition set up tomorrow.

I think when going for the first signature you want that player to be a 10-year player. Someone who is going to be around for a long time.

That is the reason i went for Graeme Smith, and Irfan Pathan, Pietersen or M. Clarke were probably all on my next bracket.

Of course you can't forget the absolute champions like Dravid (shouldn't have left him out of the poll - bad choice), Tendulkar, Lara, Murali, Gilly, Ponting and McGrath, but most of these guys would be gone in 5 years time and my personal choice is to always look to the future when looking at this sort of thing.