• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who wins the World Cup now?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
what a very specific white ball game to focus on.

I'll give you a pass for this because Australia are the only team in any position to get snooty at NZ due to actually being able to back up the chat with performance.
we also beat you in the other recent wc game

Flem274*

123/5
we also beat you in the other recent wc game
is that 2 wins in 7-8 years bro?

and ones a t20. who even cares lol that's my favourite bit about this wc. if we lose then we go to india for the games that matter and if we beat pakistan in the final it's extremely funny.

i expect nz to get thoroughly dicked in the 2 away games i actually care about this december so a nice bit of ruining someones day lube beforehand would be swell.

trundler

and ones a t20. who even cares lol that's my favourite bit about this wc. if we lose then we go to india for the games that matter and if we beat pakistan in the final it's extremely funny.

i expect nz to get thoroughly dicked in the 2 away games i actually care about this december so a nice bit of ruining someones day lube beforehand would be swell.
2/2 in recent WCs baby though i'm happy to extend the tally all the way back to the 70s. Time ceased existing between mid 00s and 2019

Burgey

I think it’s cute that fans of these three countries with a combined cross-format WC tally less than Australia’s alone are arguing over which of them will win it

Victor Ian

International Coach

It will be a great thing if New Zealand take this out. I joked about flukiness, but this current New Zealand team does have the goods to pull off these things. If they won this, and having just won the world Test Championship, I would be behind a royal commission into England's ODI world cup being overturned on the back of that bull**** overthrows off the bat of Stokes, or the bullcrap boundaries countback. Whatever it takes to let them legitimately claim the title in all three formats at the same time.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it’s cute that fans of these three countries with a combined cross-format WC tally less than Australia’s alone are arguing over which of them will win it
Don't go all Neil Harvey on us with past glories. It's about time your country won something again. I find the new half ****y, not actually that good Australia pretty disappointing. Stop picking 'fast' bowlers who still wet the bed, top order bats who average 30 in FC cricket and leg spinners who don't turn it, don't eat meat and think bringing a percolator on tour is rock star, and let's get back to the glory days of massive assholes who could hold a stage.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's not because the chip on your shoulder will grow into an asteroid
Haha now come on. I think Burgey realises that it's just a shtick that we run with now. Happy to admit it once was a chip, but Pat Cummins has single-handedly changed my opinion of a nation and a team

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Let's get back to the glory days of massive assholes who could hold a stage.
Pretty sure Greg Chappell mentioned this as one of the causal reasons for sandpaper gate.. Also caused Lehmann's coaching style and attitude which was poisonous tbqh.

Burgey

I thought Chappell's recent comments on that whole episode were pretty good tbh. Made some great observations.

Burgey

Haha now come on. I think Burgey realises that it's just a shtick that we run with now. Happy to admit it once was a chip, but Pat Cummins has single-handedly changed my opinion of a nation and a team

He's a beautiful man.

As are you. As are you.

loterry1994

International Debutant
It will be a great thing if New Zealand take this out. I joked about flukiness, but this current New Zealand team does have the goods to pull off these things. If they won this, and having just won the world Test Championship, I would be behind a royal commission into England's ODI world cup being overturned on the back of that bull**** overthrows off the bat of Stokes, or the bullcrap boundaries countback. Whatever it takes to let them legitimately claim the title in all three formats at the same time.
The test championship win by nz was a bit flukey. I mean I give them credit for beating India in a rain affected match. But NZ got in the final because of I think Australia’s poor over rate and the series they played were much easier mainly 2-3 test matches series. While India played like 4-5 match series against teams like Australia, England and South Africa.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The test championship win by nz was a bit flukey. I mean I give them credit for beating India in a rain affected match. But NZ got in the final because of I think Australia’s poor over rate and the series they played were much easier mainly 2-3 test matches series. While India played like 4-5 match series against teams like Australia, England and South Africa.
Well it was world no 1 vs world no 2 in the final. Australia didn't deserve to make the final and England and South Africa with their respective batting lineups and performances definitely didn't and while NZ has really struggled against Australia they've dominated England (haven't lost a test to England since 2015 or a series since 2013). They also absolutely thrashed India when India toured, something none of the other teams managed. I also expect Australia would've probably lost in SA and Bangladesh as they haven't won an away or neutral series for 5 years.

Last edited:

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Interesting point actually. Is New Zealand the flukiest of teams at the moment? That world cup conspired to give a joke team an almost WC. Then the Test Championship was unable to stave off a New Zealand fluke fest with them getting to the championship basically on the back of everyone else having issues, rather than them stepping up to the plate. Of course, this does not bode well for England, and then Pakistan. Can't wait to see what happens for these two superior teams to somehow see New Zealand in the final.
Well played, I think this did get the desired reaction.

Interestingly, in both the 2015 ODI and 2016 T20 World Cup (clean swept an SC-heavy group), NZ had actually been unbeaten till they turned out limp performances in the final and semi final respectively.

Flem274*

123/5
imagine losing to India C at home. I think I'd just end it all. It's the Rubel Hossain of team performances.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The fact it was rain affected made it all the more meritorious. Not our fault Rishabh Pant had illusions of Brisbane happening all over again, and slogging when a more measured approach might have earned them the WTC shared. We bowled India out twice - won a decent toss mind you, and scored runs when we needed to.

Us= World Champions.

Anyway, I don't expect us to win tomorrow morning and if we don't, it's not a choke...it's not a massive failure (depending how the game goes) or anything else potentially. England are a better T20 side and if we compete well, that's what anyone should expect. I would go so far as to say we are the 4th best side in the finals, maybe 3rd equal - which is reflected in the ICC rankings.