• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be the Wisden Five this year?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Its out in April

Who are the Wisden Five Cricketers of the Year going to be this year?

Rules are that it is based mainly (but not exclusively) on achievements in the previous English season so 2009

Those who have been selected before can't be picked again so that rules this lot out

Anderson
Benkenstein
Bell
Sidebottom
Collingwood
Panesar
Ramprakash
Pieterson
Strauss
Ponting
Trescothick
Key
Harmison
Flintoff

So who will this years 5 be?

My guess is

Swann
Broad
Trott
Michael Clarke
Hilfenhaus

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hard to look past those five. Obviously domestic cricket sometimes gets a nod but not in an Ashes year...think the first four are a lock, not sure on Hilfenhaus

King Pietersen

International Captain
Yeah, Onions'll definitely be in there. Would replace Hilfenhaus with Onions personally. Would be surprised if a someone with figures as good as Onions' was to be left off the list.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If there has ever been anyone less unlikely (excuse the double-negative) than Swann this year I wonder who he was.

Well, I suppose whenever Bradman and Sobers won it it (1931 I presume for the former) must've been pretty inevitable.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Morgan has a chance?
Morgan's done v well for England, but his FC season was pretty ordinary last year, so would be a little surprising.

Although I don't think an Irishman has been accorded the honour before and Wisden like to generate a headline with a first (like naming Claire Taylor last year), so he might be a chance.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Onions & Swann, at least one Aussie from the tour squad. Actually think Di Venuto is a decent shout if he hasn't had before, scored a lot of runs as Durham won the CC again, there will probably be at least one representing the county scene.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Swann, Broad and Clarke are certainties. I suppose Trott will get in too but I wouldn't class him as a definite.

Hilf would be a surprise. Maybe Mitch has a chance? I know he was pretty dreadful but he got some wickets and some good performances outside of the Ashes and is a bigger name.

Perhaps they'll go for another female player or two?

HeathDavisSpeed

Swann will be a definite.

Don't they normally include someone who tore up at Domestic level in the UK? Any name spring to mind that dominated in the First Division?

Craig

World Traveller
Swann
Clarke
Broad
Johnson
Sehwag

EDIT: I'm surprised Sehwag has not won the award, unless there is something obvious I should know, but clearly omitting.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sehwag's never appeared for a county, was dropped during India's 2007 tour, and in 2002 performed decently enough but unremarkably compared to several of the other Indians in the touring party.

Thus, he's never really had a chance.

Jarquis

One century and not much else. I realise it was an important century but does Trott really merit it off the back of that?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Sehwag's never appeared for a county, was dropped during India's 2007 tour, and in 2002 performed decently enough but unremarkably compared to several of the other Indians in the touring party.

Thus, he's never really had a chance.
Played for Leicestershire in 2003 according to a cricinfo article.