• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be the Wisden Five this year?

King Pietersen

International Captain
Missing the point of the thread completely. I disagree with your point too, but let's not get into that. The Wisden Five takes English domestic cricket into account as much as International performances, and Graham Onions did more in that respect than anyone else in England really. Ended the season with 69 wickets at 19.95 with 5 five-wicket hauls and some more than solid performances for England. Should be a shoe-in really.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Oh, yeah - forgot about that actually. Didn't play for more than a handful of games though, UIMM.
Think it was Jeremy Snape who had a brilliant anecdote about playing alongside Sehwag.

Leics were playing against a county with a good Pakistani bowler who was getting the ball to reverse - so when the batsmen are having a chat at the end of the over, Sehwag points out the problem and tells Snape he will solve it.

Sehwag's solution to dealing with a ball that was starting to reverse? Hit it out the ground so that it gets lost and the ball needs changed. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a fair amount of evidence that Mark Butcher's sensational, BaggyGreenWash-averting 173* knock at Headingley in 2001 had a substantial helping-hand from his favourite partner Nasser Hussain - due to the fact that Hussain hooked the ball (which had been doing plenty and plenty) out of the ground and the replacement did nothing much.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Wisden's out now but I haven't got a copy and can't seem to find the answer on the web.

Anyon(e)?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mine's being delivered as soon as Macmillan get their shove on as per every year... but not here yet.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
15th April I believe Mr Z - what have you been putting in your coffee?
Sorry Fred - this event has less of a sacramental quality for me than for you! - but Wisden are saying that it's now available. Presumably that's just in the sense that you can place an advance order, ie a lie.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Amazon has the release date set at 15th of April, so I'd presume Wisden meant it was available for pre-order. Think I might give it an order this year!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's a shame - read your post and hoped you might have been privy to an advance copy together with a bit of confidential information - or are you and you're now trying to throw me off the scent?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
That's a shame - read your post and hoped you might have been privy to an advance copy together with a bit of confidential information - or are you and you're now trying to throw me off the scent?
Sorry old chap. You're unthrowoffthescentable

EDIT: or is that inthrowoffthescentable?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
There's a fair amount of evidence that Mark Butcher's sensational, BaggyGreenWash-averting 173* knock at Headingley in 2001 had a substantial helping-hand from his favourite partner Nasser Hussain - due to the fact that Hussain hooked the ball (which had been doing plenty and plenty) out of the ground and the replacement did nothing much.
Butcher said exactly this on tms the other day. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've heard him say it several times. I seem to remember him saying it right after the innings, along with "had a few cigarettes" in response to a question about how he prepared. Disappointed me a fair bit, that, but the excellence of the rest of the knock made-up to some extent.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Swann's a certainty surely, I'd presume Broad would be in there after his Ashes series too and then I'd also guess Onions would be a part of the 5 after his County season also. The final spot could go to anyone of Clarke, Trott or Hilfenhaus IMO.