• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was Australia's greatest left-handed opener?

Who was Australia's greatest left-handed opening batsman?

• Total voters

Jager

International Debutant
Three choices spring immediately to my mind: Arthur Morris, Mark Taylor and Matthew Hayden. Taylor's inclusion here may surprise some, but I feel that his brilliance as a captain and first slip fielder add a great deal to his overall worth. Hayden was also an excellent slipper and Morris was said to have been a "reliable catcher". I was wondering what CW thought about this since I think it's a very close competition.

Morris was good enough to earn a spot in Sir Donald Bradman's 'dream team'. His playing of spin bowling was rivaled only by another dazzling left-handed Australian in Neil Harvey. He was an attacking-minded batsman unafraid to loft his shots over the infield. Taylor's batting was tested against some of the most potent pace attacks in history (Waqar, Wasim, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Donald, Pollock) and still emerged with a fantastic record. He was often extremely defensive (as his strike-rate shows) but this immovability provided a solid base for his team to work around. Taylor's almost-matching home and away averages show his mental toughness and adaptability in different conditions. Hayden was perhaps one of the most brutal strokeplayers in recent history, flourishing off the front foot especially.

In terms of batting, each have their downsides. Morris experienced one of the more phenomenal runs in cricketing history during his early days, outscoring Bradman on the famous "Invincibles" tour of 1948. His career faded gradually after his opening partner in Sid Barnes retired, and he never once touched the heights of his glory days. Hayden has an exceptional striker of the ball, but failed to perform as well overseas as he did at home. He hit 21 of his 30 centuries on Australian soil and his away average was never exceptional, finishing at 41.69. Taylor was never quite the wonderful talent of a Morris or Hayden, but none the less proved himself as a fantastic asset to Australia. So important was his presence that he was kept in the team for his captaincy and fielding alone whilst his batting slumped dramatically.

Arthur Morris
Tests: 46 matches, 79 innings, 3 not outs, 3533 runs, HS 206, average of 46.48, 12 centuries and 12 fifties
First class: 162 matches, 250 innings, 15 not outs, 12614 runs, HS 290, average of 53.67, 46 centuries and 46 fifties

Mark Taylor
Tests: 104 matches, 186 innings, 13 not outs, 7525 runs, HS 334*, average of 43.49, SR 41.48, 19 centuries and 40 fifties
First class: 253 matches, 435 innings, 20 not outs, 17415 runs, HS 334*, average of 41.96, 41 centuries and 97 fifties

Matthew Hayden
Tests: 103 matches, 184 innings, 14 not outs, 8625 runs, HS 380, average of 50.73, SR 60.10, 30 centuries and 29 fifties
First class: 295 matches, 515 innings, 47 not outs, 24603 runs, HS 380, average of 52.57, 79 centuries and 100 fifties

I enjoyed that write-up. Thoughts?

bagapath

International Captain
Justin Langer is a legit option. Pl add him to the poll.
In ODIs it would easily have been Gilly.
Here I may go for Morris. Let me think now.

Jager

International Debutant
Ah, should have mentioned this was test only. Definitely Lawry and Langer in with chances, here. I'll add them in if I can, shouldn't have been so close-minded.

Jager

International Debutant
Not sure if double posts are frowned on around here, so here's my testing of it... is it possible to add extra options in polls?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Langer should definately be considered, even ahead of Taylor. Obviously didnt see Morris, but apparently declined after Bradman and Barnes retired and he was the focus of opposing attacks. But my top two would be him and Langer, who was one of the unsung keys to that great team.

uvelocity

International Coach
Went Taylor. Someone pls calculate his average leaving out the horror run towards the end of his career. Would have been about 48 I reckon.

Played in an arguably tougher era and in much tougher conditions than Haydos, and brought so much to Australian cricket. My favourite captain.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Went Taylor. Someone pls calculate his average leaving out the horror run towards the end of his career. Would have been about 48 I reckon.

Played in an arguably tougher era and in much tougher conditions than Haydos, and brought so much to Australian cricket. My favourite captain.
No good cut point that noticeably increase his average. (Also I love the (reverse) cumulative average feature so much)

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Feel free to put one in if you like tho...

Also

uvelocity

International Coach
Thanks for the link. Was a bit more up and down than my memory served. But anyway yeah, half way through he was averaging 48, so that was a reasonable guess.

Oh and 380 v zimmers was embarrassing. Shouldn't have qualified imo.

watson

Banned
Bradman rates Arthur Morris so highly because his average during 1948 (when the 'Invincibles' toured England) was a whopping 84.8. However, after that year his form gradually declined. In the second half of his career (1951-1955) he never averaged more than 38. In all, Morris only had 2 good years with the bat.

Therefore, Hayden or Lawry are better choices as Australia's best left-handed opener. I used to think that Hayden was easily the best, but having just looked at the West Indian attack of the 60's and John Snow's figures in the early 70's I'm beginning to think that Lawry might be grossly under rated.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Taylor for me. Batted like a champ in 1991 against a very hostile WI attack, and always made big runs vs Pakistan with the best attacks (Wasim, Waqar, Mushy, Saqlain, Shoaib etc), played Wasim and Waqar at their peak brilliantly in 1989 here. Was excellent against pace and spin, and definitely played in a tougher era's of bowlers and pitches. GREAT PLAYER in an era where averaging 40+ as an opener meant you were top class, and not just average like 40+ means now.