• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was a better batsman? Hansie Cronje or Jonty Rhodes

Pick one

• Total voters

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not asking who's a better bloke. Just who could bat better.

I find a lot of similarities between these 2. Along with Donald these 2 were the biggest stars of SA's early readmission years. Absolute staples of SAs top 6 through the 90s without ever really possessing super impressive batting stats.

Obviously extra factors like captaincy, some bowling ability and elite fielding made them both vital members of the team, but who contributed more in their (arguably) primary roles in the side?

In tests:

Cronje: avg 36.4, 6 tons and 23 fifties in 111 innings
Jonty: avg 35.7, 3 tons and 17 fifties in 80 innings

Not too much separating them here. Cronje did ton up a bit more but Rhodes made it to 50 more often

In ODIs:

Cronje: avg 38.6, s/r 76.5, 2 tons and 39 fifties in 175 innings
Jonty: avg 35.1, s/r 80.9, 2 tons and 33 fifties from 220 innings

Again it's close. Cronje with the higher avg, Jonty with the tremendous strike rate for the era, and the 50s stat has decreased relevance due to one usually batting a good 2 spots higher than the other

Honestly I can't split them. What say you CW?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cronje used to play the occasional knock which made him look like an outrageous talent, where he seemed to be batting on a completely different pitch to the others. Can't recall exactly which match, but a few of those low-scoring early '90s ODIs in SA come to mind.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
My vote goes to Hansie, but I seem to have more than one of those against-the-wall type of knocks by Jonty in the back of my mind.

SillyCowCorner1

Initially thought that this was a slippy888 thread.

Neck and neck..
I'd say Cronje (as a kid, I pronounced it as 'Crunjee').

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If you picture Rhodes batting what shot is he hitting?

For me its a clip through or over mid wicket for a couple.

Cronje was better

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Cronje comfortably IMO. Jonte always seemed better than a mid 30s average though.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
In pure batting ability Cronje was better.

I think that Jontys ability to put pressure on the field and help rotate strike for his partner added something extra when he was in the middle.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Jonty... **** Cronje. I know OP says we should only judge them on their batting but when someone lets you down that hard, and he was a bit of a hero for you as a new teenager, it stays with you for life.

OverratedSanity

Cronje easily imo. Treated some quality spinners with disdain at times. Jonty is underappreciated as an odi batsman though. His fielding overshadows the fact that he was a pretty good short format batsman.