• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the greatest test spinner of all time?

Who is the greatest test spinner of all time?

• Derek Underwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hugh Tayfield

• Anil Kumble

• Hedley Verity

• Jim Laker

• Total voters

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
reckon warnie would say the Gamer Word?
I don't think warne would himself but I invisigned boof running on somewhere in Warnes second verse and saying something close to that and ranting on Iran before he's dragged off, so close enough.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yo I'm Bill O'Reilly but they call me 'Tiger'
I don't need PEDs and I didn't chuck it either
Don't need recency bias or TV cov'rage
Ain't nobody can match my standardised average.
You can bully Bangladesh or clean bowl Gatting
I actually had opponents who weren't crap at batting
Used to bowl Bradman in the nets like it weren't no drama
Taking wickets is child's play and I'm the Dallai Llama.
If you didn't vote for me then you're kinda macabre
'cos you're either agreeing with Halba
or you've joined Team Migara

Superb!

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
India would’ve lost a lot more series at home if we’d had Richie instead of Lyon.
Huh? Lyon took 19 wickets in 2017 @23 and 22 wickets @22 in the 2023 series. 2017 and 2023 are the only two series I can think of where lyon played and we where a serious chance at winning, don't think you'de expect richie to do much more with the ball then 40 odd wickets in 2 series @22/23.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Huh? Lyon took 19 wickets in 2017 @23 and 22 wickets @22 in the 2023 series. 2017 and 2023 are the only two series I can think of where lyon played and we where a serious chance at winning, don't think you'de expect richie to do much more with the ball then 40 odd wickets in 2 series @22/23.
Both would be struggling if they bowled to the line up containing Sidhu / Sehwag, Tendulkar, Azhar / VVS. The Indians have palpably regressed in the ability to play spin bowling.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Both would be struggling if they bowled to the line up containing Sidhu / Sehwag, Tendulkar, Azhar / VVS. The Indians have palpably regressed in the ability to play spin bowling.
Ehh, depends on the decks. If India's peak 2000's lineup had to play on the sandpits that the current lineup have been dealing with in the past few years over the slow roads they got in the 2000's they would do worse. I think warne would do a ton better if you let him face the peak Indian lineup on a Pune 2017 style deck.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ehh, depends on the decks. If India's peak 2000's lineup had to play on the sandpits that the current lineup have been dealing with in the past few years over the slow roads they got in the 2000's they would do worse. I think warne would do a ton better if you let him face the peak Indian lineup on a Pune 2017 style deck.
Well Sehwag hit a 200 against Murali and Mendis on a dustbowl. We haven't seen any one from current era up to such heroics

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Well Sehwag hit a 200 against Murali and Mendis on a dustbowl. We haven't seen any one from current era up to such heroics
That pitch wasn't a dustbowl. India's batters struggled to pick up Mendis. Murali performed poorly in that match.

Sehwag scored his first 100 runs in that innings in 30 overs and 18 of those overs were bowled by Vaas and Kulasekara.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
That pitch wasn't a dustbowl. India's batters struggled to pick up Mendis. Murali performed poorly in that match.

Sehwag scored his first 100 runs in that innings in 30 overs and 18 of those overs were bowled by Vaas and Kulasekara.
Harbhajan Singh struggled in SL up to date and since, picked up 10 for in the match. That it self shows it was a proper dust bowl.

And yes, Vaas and Kulasekara were too slow. Playing the latter was a mistake especially. Next match they debuted Dhammika Prasad, who was bowling 140k+ and duely snaffled Sehwag and Gambhir. But scoring off slow medium pacers doesn't say anything on how spinners are played.

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Harbhajan Singh struggled in SL up to date and since, picked up 10 for in the match. That it self shows it was a proper dust bowl.

And yes, Vaas and Kulasekara were too slow. Playing the latter was a mistake especially. Next match they debuted Dhammika Prasad, who was bowling 140k+ and duely snaffled Sehwag and Gambhir. But scoring off slow medium pacers doesn't say anything on how spinners are played.
Just because Harbhajan took 10fer doesn't mean it was a dustbowl. You can tell it was a good pitch to bat on because Sehwag was able to run down the pitch, not get to the pitch of the ball and still be able to hit through the line of the ball. You can't really get away with doing that on a turning wicket where the ball is exploding.

At one point in the highlights you can even hear one of the commentators talk about the lack of turn the spinners are getting, which is pretty evident from video footage. That pitch was not comparable to the first 3 Tests of the recent Australia vs India series. Atleast not when Sehwag was batting in that first innings.

Ajit Agarkar took 6fer against Australia in Adelaide in 2003. Doesn't mean it wasn't a flat pitch.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Just because Harbhajan took 10fer doesn't mean it was a dustbowl. You can tell it was a good pitch to bat on because Sehwag was able to run down the pitch, not get to the pitch of the ball and still be able to hit through the line of the ball. You can't really get away with doing that on a turning wicket where the ball is exploding.

At one point in the highlights you can even hear one of the commentators talk about the lack of turn the spinners are getting, which is pretty evident from video footage. That pitch was not comparable to the first 3 Tests of the recent Australia vs India series. Atleast not when Sehwag was batting in that first innings.

Ajit Agarkar took 6fer against Australia in Adelaide in 2003. Doesn't mean it wasn't a flat pitch.
I an saying it was a dust bowl because I was there. I even walked on to the pitch at the end of the game, which I have done few times in Galle, and it was what it was. Kumble and Harbhajan always struggled in SL because we did not provide them with absolute dustbowls where a Micheal Clark level spinner can roll their arm up and take six wickets. Only time we did, Harbhajan took ten wickets. Even if it was not the same dustbowl as against Australia, Murali and Mendis at that point were a cut above Ashwin and Jadeja. That 201 vs an absolute masterclass on how to play spin. This was while players who are regarded as gods in playing spin (Gambhir, VVS, Tendulkar etc) getting owned left, right and center by Sri Lankan spinners.

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
I an saying it was a dust bowl because I was there. I even walked on to the pitch at the end of the game, which I have done few times in Galle, and it was what it was. Kumble and Harbhajan always struggled in SL because we did not provide them with absolute dustbowls where a Micheal Clark level spinner can roll their arm up and take six wickets. Only time we did, Harbhajan took ten wickets. Even if it was not the same dustbowl as against Australia, Murali and Mendis at that point were a cut above Ashwin and Jadeja. That 201 vs an absolute masterclass on how to play spin. This was while players who are regarded as gods in playing spin (Gambhir, VVS, Tendulkar etc) getting owned left, right and center by Sri Lankan spinners.
Doesn't matter if you were there or not, the ball was not biting, spitting or turning sharply during that Sehwag innings as he could clearly play through the line of the ball without getting to the pitch of it.

The Indian batsmen struggled not because of the pitch but because they had a hard timing picking Mendis. Credit to Sehwag for being able to pick Mendis and dominate him but the pitch wasn't a dustbowl when Sehwag was batting.