• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who Is Martin Crowe ?

The Reason Behind Martin Crow's Accusation of Murali !

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Krishna_j said:
sitting in front of your TV you've seen what umpires at 22 yards could'nt see - silentstriker you are an optician's dream

Like the 90's reverse swing - this too will pass when Monty starts his version of the doosra :laugh:
Oh, I'm sure the umpires notice it too. There is no way they would risk their necks by calling it. I know I wouldn't...it could mean the end of your career, or at the very least a lot of bad blood.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Krishna_j said:
square leg umpire - give or take a few yards - they usually are in the best position if u know yr cricket
:laugh: I think not. To be 22 yards away the square leg umpire would have to in the batsman's pocket, taking into account the angle he's at least twice that distance from the bowler.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Krishna_j said:
this is similar to the 90's theory "we can't reverse swing, we don't understand reverse swing - waqar and wasim reverse swing are hence are cheats they should be banned "
No, that is stupid but to be fair you are not the first person to make such claims.

Reverse swing has never been considered cheating. Ball tampering has. Do not confuse the two.

In the 90s people, like myself, invested time and effort working and discussing reverse swing. Never was it considered cheating.

The art was doing it without ball tampering. That is where cheating comes in.

Ive had a couple of rants today so Ill keep going. To be quite frank, all this "everybody hates us" attitude got old a long time ago and is damaging relations. Time to man up and behave properly.

Time to educate you son, everything that goes wrong is not a conspiricy. "Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it infamy" :laugh:

The paranoia, whinging and lack of fortitude to deal with what life throws is tiresome.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Lillian Thompson said:
I think not. To be 22 yards away the square leg umpire would have to in the batsman's pocket, taking into account the angle he's at least twice that distance from the bowler.
Assuming the square leg umpire is standing 12 yards to the side of the batsman, and 22 yards down from the bowler's crease, he would be 25 yards from there.

12^2 + 22^2 = x^2. So x = 25.06.

Simple Pythagorean Theorem.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
The paranoia, whinging and lack of fortitude to deal with what life throws is tiresome.

The inability to deal with what Murali throws is even more tiresome.:mellow:

(I know, but it had to be said)

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Assuming the square leg umpire is standing 12 yards to the side of the batsman, and 22 yards down from the bowler's crease, he would be 25 yards from there.

12^2 + 22^2 = x^2. So x = 25.06.

Simple Pythagorean Theorem.

There's no set position for the square leg umpire but they rarely stand that close even in village green cricket.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Goughy said:
No, that is stupid but to be fair you are not the first person to make such claims.

Reverse swing has never been considered cheating. Ball tampering has. Do not confuse the two.

In the 90s people, like myself, invested time and effort working and discussing reverse swing. Never was it considered cheating.
Its good to hear that - but obviously you were not in England in 1992 - I was and observed the derisive and dismissive comments from fans not used to being bested consistently - Lamb , Gower and Botham were never the same players again after that

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Krishna_j said:
Its good to hear that - but obviously you were not in England in 1992 - I was and observed the derisive and dismissive comments from fans not used to being bested consistently - Lamb , Gower and Botham were never the same players again after that
Yes I was.
BTW, the English fans certainly were used to being bested consistently. Infact it was a national pasttime.

Lamb, Gower and Botham were not the same players because they were old and at the end of their careers.

Again I reiterate. Ball tampering is the issue not reverse swing.

legglancer12

School Boy/Girl Captain
Goughy said:

Akram takes a swing at England

September 16, 2005

Karachi: Pakistan bowling great Wasim Akram says England should apologise for accusing his team of cheating in 1992 when it used reverse swing - the same action that helped England win the Ashes.

"England owe us an apology in a big way," Akram said. "When we did the reverse swing against England in 1992, they were great moaners and groaners of the world, they termed it as cheating. And now when they achieved an Ashes win through reverse swing, it's an art." Akram and pace partner Waqar Younis shattered England by reverse swinging the ball, helping Pakistan to a 2-1 win.

England's tabloid press accused the pair of cheating and ball tampering. "Now English bowlers know it, it's the art of reverse swing," Akram said, adding that English all-rounder Andrew Flintoff learnt a lot from him while they both played for Lancashire in the late 1990s.

AFP

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
I am interested in knowing whether biomechanical analysis has proven if Murali's standard version of 'doosara' is within the acceptable range or not.

Opinions are a dime a dozen.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
legglancer12 said:
Akram takes a swing at England
September 16, 2005

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Karachi: Pakistan bowling great Wasim Akram says England should apologise for accusing his team of cheating in 1992 when it used reverse swing - the same action that helped England win the Ashes.

"England owe us an apology in a big way," Akram said. "When we did the reverse swing against England in 1992, they were great moaners and groaners of the world, they termed it as cheating. And now when they achieved an Ashes win through reverse swing, it's an art." Akram and pace partner Waqar Younis shattered England by reverse swinging the ball, helping Pakistan to a 2-1 win.

England's tabloid press accused the pair of cheating and ball tampering. "Now English bowlers know it, it's the art of reverse swing," Akram said, adding that English all-rounder Andrew Flintoff learnt a lot from him while they both played for Lancashire in the late 1990s.

AFP
Sorry what is that? All it is is Akram speaking. Again the issue has always been ball tampering (which Pakistan were accused of in '92) rather than reverse swing itself.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Sorry what is that? All it is is Akram speaking. Again the issue has always been ball tampering (which Pakistan were accused of in '92) rather than reverse swing itself.
Yes, but the point he is making that they were accused of ball tampering simply because the ball was reversing and because the English (having invented the game and all) had never figured out how, it had to be cheating.

Then in 2005, by the time they had it figured, it became an art form.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Yes, but the point he is making that they were accused of ball tampering simply because the ball was reversing and because the English (having invented the game and all) had never figured out how, it had to be cheating.

Then in 2005, by the time they had it figured, it became an art form.
They were accused of ball-tampering because they were ba....oh whats the point.

It would be head in the sand time again.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
They were accused of ball-tampering because they were ba....oh whats the point.

It would be head in the sand time again.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I am just pointing out what he said.

Fiery

Banned
Good on Crowe for saying what the majority of cricket-followers over 30 think about his action. Crowe might have an ego and rug on his head the size of Africa but he was a fine batsman and student of the game and fully entitled to voice his opinion as a commentator and someone who's job it is to do so. He has the courage and self-confidence to speak his mind despite the obvious backlash any comment about this always creates from Sri Lankans, (particularly short, rascist ex-captains with big guts and similar sized egos).

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
Leaving the rest of Murali's action and Phil "The Power" Taylor jokes aside, he clearly throws the doosra. It would be reckless not to report these matter.
1. You don't know that he throws the doosra. You think he does, but as has been proven you can't trust your eyes to pick up a 'throw' accurately. He has been tested numerous times and his action (including the doosra) has been found to be acceptable. What makes you think you know better than experts trained in the field? Do you have superhuman eyes that can detect a dodgy action better than biomechanical experts?
2. You're having a go at others for suggesting 'conspiracy theories' but you're suggesting others with comments like "The world is getting *****-whipped into not questioning certain cricketers and teams due to a guaranteed frenzied political and popular backlash."
I suppose it's fine when it supports your view though.

Last edited: