• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is each Test nation's marquee Test opposition?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The West Indies, during their heyday, used to enjoy defeating England because of ''grovel''. They all played county cricket also.

SeamUp

International Coach
I honestly couldn't say who SA's biggest rival is - England or Australia.

Both series have drama and good cricket.

History dictates we've been closer to the English as Herbie Taylor or was it Aubrey Faulkner was asked by the English their thoughts on taking on Don Bradman and helped coming up with the body line approach.

One of the great things about SAF v AUS over the years has been the battle of fast bowlers on fast pitches. Fast octane cricket. Can't knock it.

The number of SA Boys in England set-up maybe even made things a bit more tasty but it ended up KP had more friends in the SA change room and sms debacle added another controversy.

Although my favourite test victory in recent times was at Edgbaston with Graeme Smith playing the ultimate captain's innings and Boucher taking us over the line. This after the side screen issue and yorkers not being picked up and the ball spinning square.

I can't choose to be honest. Obviously we've played along as 3rd wheel since 1887 or something but I thing England/Australia have really enjoyed the competition over the years.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aus - England
England - Aus
SA - Aus
Ind- Pakistan/ Australia
Pakistan- India
NZ- Aus
WI- Aus
SL- Ind
Ban- Ind
Agree with most of these, although I think for the Windies, it may be England above Aust.

vcs

Pretty much all the P&Cs have been covered, but I personally really look forward to India's trips to RSA. The pitches there make for some of the best cricket in the world. Great for quicks obviously, but you can also make runs fast and spinners can take wickets later on in the game.

Daemon

Yea TH, thank you.
He echoed my initial thoughts. I really shouldn't second guess myself, lesson learned.

As someone who has the actual experiences relevant (i.e. living in one of the countries) to come to a conclusion on such a subjective topic, TH has helped to clear this up for everyone.

Meanwhile, in typical Bangladeshi fan fashion, you're just looking to build a rivalry in order to feel relevant. First it was India after no-ball gate, and now it's New Zealand. Sad. But just like how statistics against Bangladesh don't count, neither will your make believe rivalry :\

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I have a feeling teams touring England will use Ireland as a springtime two-test warm up for England, like how teams touring Oz usually play the Kiwis beforehand, and how England used Bangladesh ahead of India last year (it backfiring spectacularly!).

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Still in sure Ireland would love to have 4 home tests every summer against marquee nations.