• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who are the Worst International players U've seen?

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
"When he made his Test debut for the West Indies against New Zealand in Barbados in 1995-96, Patterson Thompson had a shocker. Making Devon Malcolm look like a metronome, he bowled 26 no-balls and returned match figures of 22-1-135-4 - which flattered him. He played just one more Test, in Australia the following winter, and that was that. His Test strike rate, 45.6, would do anyone proud but his economy rate, 5.65, would make even a joke bowler blush. "

BoyBrumby

Englishman
howardj said:
Pommy off-spinner
He's a Sweatie, actually! & probably our best offie of the 90s. Which isn't saying much, admittedly, but as a bowler I reckon he was better than Croft or Emburey. He was just a total bunny which won't do for our spinners.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Barney Rubble said:
If you're talking about how bad they were when they played international cricket, and ignoring any improvement since, then there's a few in county cricket at the moment:

Ian Ward
Usman Afzaal
Ryan Sidebottom
Owais Shah
Rikki Clarke
Jim Troughton
Darren Maddy
Ed Smith
Jimmy Ormond

To name but a few. It's not even worth counting the Bangladeshis and Zimbabweans - these days most of them are worse than players who are just breaking into county sides, let alone international teams.
I really dont think Shah or Smith were that bad. Smith only played two tests (I think..) and scored a fifty on debut. Plenty have started much worse than that...

Shah wasnt awful in ODIs either. Certainly wasnt up to the standard required of him, but again, Ive seen plenty worse.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Three Tests - just the way he looked and the way he got out. Shah will be back in ODI colours before too long I feel.

Chubb

International Regular
Prince EWS said:
I really dont think Shah or Smith were that bad. Smith only played two tests (I think..) and scored a fifty on debut. Plenty have started much worse than that...

Shah wasnt awful in ODIs either. Certainly wasnt up to the standard required of him, but again, Ive seen plenty worse.
Ed played three tests, and indeed got a dodgy decision in his last test innings, when he was looking good on sixteen. It;s a shame he didn't make more of an impact.

The young gentleman who currently graces my avatar has few peers as a useless player.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
The bank balance on English twirlies was pretty low in the 1990's, but Peter was no worse than Tuffers - and he's a legend.
I think Tuffers had a lot more natural talent, in all fairness, but Such worked harder and reaped rewards (to an extent).