• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which was the Worst World Cup ever?

Which is the most boring World cup ever?

Votes: 3 10.3%

Votes: 1 3.4%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 13.8%

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • 2007 will be boring

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Which was the most boring world cup ever?

My personal favourite is the 99 world cup, it was full of thrilling contents, played under very good competitive conditions.

My least Favorite was the last world cup..Kenya making it to the semi-finals..SA, Pak and new zealand out in the first round....Austrlia didnt even lose a single match...It has boring written all over it

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
My least Favorite was the last world cup..Kenya making it to the semi-finals..SA, Pak and new zealand out in the first round....Austrlia didnt even lose a single match...It has boring written all over it
So it is Kenya's fault that Pakistan and SA failed to show up ? NZ at least performed well but were out due to effing poitics.

Corli

U19 Cricketer
I can't really comment on 'ever', but of the World Cups I followed, 2003 was the more boring one. I really can't remember anything about the tournament except that it was kind of ruined by rain and politics. Though, I still have the tokens that came in crisps packs featuring our team...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Probably 1979, which was even more predictable than 2003. In 2003, at least a couple of sides got stuck into the Aus batting before doing the decent thing, whereas 1979 really was entirely as anyone would have expected.

btw was 1996 deliberately missed out as an option?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1996 was undoubtedly dire, but of the 3 I really strongly remember '92 and '99 were superb, '03 was abysmal.

Know little about '79 - which perhaps tells you a good deal. Know plenty about '75, '83 and '86\87.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Know little about '79 - which perhaps tells you a good deal.
It does. I had a look at the results summary earlier to see if I was being unfair. And I wasn't. The only exciting game was actually a dead rubber. England & Pakistan were playing their final group game at Leeds, both had qualified, but the winner avoided WI in the semifinal. Looking at the cards now, you have to conclude that it was a pretty lively track. Hendrick's figures were ridiculous - 4 for 15 from 12 overs, ffs.

Obviously the Richards & King partnership in the final was memorable, but that really was it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
My memories really only go back to the 1987 WC, so of those I've seen I'd say the most recent was the worst from an excitement point of view. The boycotts really skewed the qualifiers for the Super 6 (without wishing to sound too much of the bitter Pom) and Australia winning it had an absolutely ball-aching inevitability to it.