• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which was the most painful defeat for India?

Most painful

• Total voters

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That was nothing to do with Waugh being elderly, he hated Waugh all career.

It's not that unusual, certainly not confined to Ian Chappell, to start writing the obituaries of "older" players. Gets most ridiculous if the player's a batsman and hasn't even hit his 35th birthday.
Yeah but his campaign to have Waugh dropped really did intensify in the later years of his career. Him and David Hooks anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's because between 1992/93 and 2001, no-one could possibly have hoped that a campaign to get Waugh dropped was going to receive the slightest support from anyone who a) knew cricket and\or b) had Australia's best interests at heart. Regardless of how much they hated him.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, I can only recall the media campaign led by Chappell to have him dropped during those years between 2001-2003. I wasn't aware of a history. Care to explain??

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm not sure about the Nagpur knocks, but he definately offered an easy stumping that Patel completely messed-up in his second-innings at the Chepauk.

India would probably have won that game with a fifth day anyway, but had Patel taken that chance they could've won it even with the rain on day-five.
I think you're talking of Clarke. Just looked up the cricinfo bulletin of that day's play.

"Clarke, let off early on when Patel missed a leg-side stumping off Kumble, helped himself to 39 invaluable runs before Glenn McGrath was cleaned bowled by Harbhajan, leaving India with 229 for victory. "

Sizzling Martyn sets up a thriller | India v Australia, 2nd Test, Chennai, 4th day Report | Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

No mention of any reprieves for Martyn.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Wisden report was where I'd got it from:
Wisden said:
India led by 141. And they had the chance to win inside four days. But they were frustrated by a fine century from Martyn, his eighth in Test cricket, though he was missed behind the wicket before he had scored.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be honest, I can only recall the media campaign led by Chappell to have him dropped during those years between 2001-2003. I wasn't aware of a history. Care to explain??
I can't really fully explain, because I don't know the story. I do know that Waugh himself was baffled by it:
BBC said:

It's pretty well-known, though, that Chappell and Waugh did not get on, and many posts have been made on CW down the years to the effect of "take anything Chappell writes about Waugh with a pinch of salt".

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I can't really fully explain, because I don't know the story. I do know that Waugh himself was baffled by it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/australia/4366486.stm
It's pretty well-known, though, that Chappell and Waugh did not get on, and many posts have been made on CW down the years to the effect of "take anything Chappell writes about Waugh with a pinch of salt".
Ok, thanks for the quote.

I knew he had a vendetta against Waugh in the later part of his career. Just not that he actually hated him his entire time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Did someone miss this memo ?

Please lets not take this thread off track as well with the Tendulkar/Chappell argument fella's. It has no relevance to the topic at hand, and I'm fairly certain it wasn't the sort of discussion G.I Joe had hoped for when creating the thread...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is constructive discussion that is but only slightly off-topic. Lay off
Ind33d. It's the sort of posts you'd IMO be mad to ostensibly try to prevent - not a tired subject at all, as evidenced by the fact that information is being conveyed which someone had not come accross before.

It's also now pretty much finished, so isn't going to disturb anyone who wants to post about India's worst defeats in recent times.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Richard, Your comment about Chappelli hated Waugh all his career is purely speculative and hardly an evolved discussion,IMO. Either ways, I leave it to mods to decide whatever they want and don't want to start another war.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
One of the most important match that changed the history and (probably the outcomes of many matches) of India-Pak Cricket for years was 1986 Australasia cup final where Miandad hit a last ball six off Chetan Sharma. It took us 17 years to get over that mindset over Pak,. IMO it was another 6 by Tendulkar that finally erased that pain (No for me Jadeja's onslaught on Waqar in 96 wasn't enough).

Also, I would have liked the loss to Pak in Chennai Test in 1998/99 as an option, we were so close yet so far. It hurt so much, not because it was a loss against Pak, but because we were so close.
Off topic a bit ...

For me the drubbing our 2003 WC team got was the turning point. That was one heck of a team on paper for Pak...but was simply thrashed....Akhtar and Waqar were hit all over the place. Even though Waqar got 2 on 2..that was only 1 moment when Pak looked like winning.....but Sachin took that away....

Probably a very heart breaking defeat for Pak....

Anwar
Taufeeq
Razzaq
Inzi
Yousuf
Younis
Afridi
Latif
Akram
Waqar
Akhtar

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard, Your comment about Chappelli hated Waugh all his career is purely speculative and hardly an evolved discussion,IMO. Either ways, I leave it to mods to decide whatever they want and don't want to start another war.
That post was never remotely likely to start any flame-war, unlike the comment about Chappell's views on Tendulkar, and my comment that Chappell and Waugh did not get along at all is about as speculative as someone stating that the Moon orbits the Earth. If that's not accepted fact, nothing is.

SaeedAnwar

U19 Debutant
For me india's best defeat was in the semi of 1996 world cup at the hand of sri lanka. Jayasuriya destoryed indian batting line up with his amazing spin bowling

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Series: 2004 vs. Australia. Ganguly throwing a hissy fit and pulling out from a match. Curator sticking it to a BCCI due to political dispute and handing the series to Australia in Nagpur.

Match: Sydneygate. First time I seriously thought about not following cricket anymore. I can handle the team I support losing, but losing unfairly is something else.