• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which type of dissmissal is the DRS tech more reliable for? LBWs or caught behinds?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do you feel the technology related to LBWs(mainly using balltracking/hawkeye) is stronger than the technology related to edges to the keeper(hot spot, snickometer/ultraedge)

Personally I feel we're miles ahead at getting LBWs judged correctly by the 3rd umpire.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
LBW, as it relies less on personal interpretation except if there's a potential inside edge. Hotspot and Snicko rely much more on the third umpire's personal interpretation of the evidence presented by the technology.

There might be a mark on the bat, but it could have come from anywhere.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
LBWS as there's more technology available to assess that with Ball Tracking and Hot Spot.

With catches, all you can do is try different angles and zoom.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How can you compare prediction (hawkeye) vs fact (snick-o, hot spot)

Bijed

International Regular
Yeah, LBWs for the reasons given above by others. You still get a few cases where it looks like ball tracking is a bit weird, but they're very rare. Not for a while now, but I think you used to get a few cases where hitting was incorrectly designated as umpire's call and vice-versa.

Worth pointing out that in the more notable/controversial cases where DRS has failed on catches (I'm thinking Lyon & Khawaja) that they'd been given out on field anyway, so whilst DRS was a bit of a farce in these instances, it didn't actually make things any worse than if it hadn't been available at all.

Spikey

Snik-o is not fact though is it, you have to make the association, the noise may not be from an edge.
Yeah but Hawkeye isn't more reliable than (x) just because it completely babies the umpire and removes their ability to make a decision

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, its hard enough to bear *****'s posting as it is, God forbid, if he loses the job of umpiring and is around here even more. :p

TheJediBrah

Catches. You guys are forgetting how impossible it can be to tell whether you've got a knick, or it brushed a shirt, without replays. And with catches is pretty clearly either out or not out, which means more clearly bad decisions without replays. At least with LBWs if the decision was "bad" it might just be because the ball was missing the stumps by a bit/or not. Whereas bad decisions for catches are pretty clearly a big **** up.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the question is for which dismissal DRS is more reliable. I understood that as for which dismissal does DRS leave the least amount of doubt. With LBW, you pretty much have the technology to check
where it pitched, impact, hitting or missing, and whether any bat involved or not.

With Catches, even if you determine whether bat involved or not, sometimes it's not possible to ascertain whether catch has been cleanly taken or not. Either you don't have the right angle or it's just blurry.

TheJediBrah

I think the question is for which dismissal DRS is more reliable. I understood that as for which dismissal does DRS leave the least amount of doubt. With LBW, you pretty much have the technology to check
where it pitched, impact, hitting or missing, and whether any bat involved or not.

With Catches, even if you determine whether bat involved or not, sometimes it's not possible to ascertain whether catch has been cleanly taken or not. Either you don't have the right angle or it's just blurry.
Yeah I just realised after I made my post that I didn't read the question properly. Or really at all.

But the amount of doubt in hawkeye with lbws is still very high. We still get instances of hawkeye predictions being clearly wrong compared to what you see on replays (eg. Mitch Marsh v SA at Perth in 2016), whether it's an issue with the technology or input error I don't know.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like HotSpot. Snicko can still be misleading as some umpires seem to blatantly disregard actual visual evidence of daylight between bat and ball when there is a spike on the snicko. And as far as Hawkeye goes, the predictive path is forever gonna be a controversial topic, but at the very least the where it pitched and where it hit the pad can be useful.