• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team will hav lost the most current players by 2007 W.cup?

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
However, Australia is likely to see a major number of players retiring after the World Cup, or soon after it. Warne and McGrath spring to mind, and Langer, Hayden, Martyn, Kasprowicz and Gilchrist will all be into their mid to late 30s by the time the World Cup rolls around.

So you think Lee and Gillespie won't age?, how funny, they are the 2nd and 3rd youngest in the XI so far

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
Really? McGrath's 35 next month, that's pretty long in the tooth for a seamer. I think he may well go after The Ashes.
I don't see why McGrath can't play until 40.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mr Casson said:
I don't see why McGrath can't play until 40.
He's got a lotta miles on the clock already. Only Walsh & Kapil Dev of seamers have bowled more overs than him & Kapil Dev retired @ 35. He does look like he's taken care of himself & has a wonderfully economical action, but there's still wear-and-tear.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
He's got a lotta miles on the clock already. Only Walsh & Kapil Dev of seamers have bowled more overs than him & Kapil Dev retired @ 35. He does look like he's taken care of himself & has a wonderfully economical action, but there's still wear-and-tear.
There is, but I know Walsh's action wasn't quite as crispy clean as Mcgrath's.. what about Kapil Dev?

I'm not saying he will go on to 40, I just think that the way his body has held up, and the amount of success he's had with such economical use of his body, there's no reason that he couldn't do it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I never really saw Kapil Dev at his peak, when I saw him he was only a shade above military-medium pace, but still fairly economical.

Having seen clips of him in his youthful pomp it looks like he'd lost a couple of yards of pace by his late twenties, so he obviously wasn't as robustly constructed as McGrath.

telsor

U19 12th Man
The Australian selectors took the big step of dropping the players they didn't think would make the next WC after the last one. ( Bevan, Bichel ).

Lehmann and McGrath are probably the biggest doubts. The former due to form ( age-related? ) and the latter because of the potential for injuries.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
mcgrath will play on at least until the world cup, he is outstanding. I think many of the currently 30+ players will retire after the WC across all teams.

Bookie

U19 12th Man
It will be the end of a goleden age. There aren't that many young 'great' pace bowlers; a few names such as Pathan and well, thats about it, spring to mind. How old is Shane Bond these days?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
On hindsight, I think it will be Australia and not Sri Lanka which can drop more players. The Australian selectors are ruthless and wont hesitate to remove players of past repute if they feel they can have a stronger team without them.

Blaze

Banned
Bookie said:
It will be the end of a goleden age. There aren't that many young 'great' pace bowlers; a few names such as Pathan and well, thats about it, spring to mind. How old is Shane Bond these days?
Bond is 28-29

tooextracool

International Coach
Pratyush said:
On hindsight, I think it will be Australia and not Sri Lanka which can drop more players. The Australian selectors are ruthless and wont hesitate to remove players of past repute if they feel they can have a stronger team without them.
whatever happened to " its harder to get out than it is to get in"?

Duncan

U19 Debutant
Australia- quite a few people will be gone... but they seem to have the replacements already in hand.
India- aging team
Pakistan- young team except for Inzy
South Africa- young team
England- young team
Bangladesh- young team
New Zealand- aging team
West Indies- young except for Lara?
Zimbabwe- young?