• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team currently has the best fast bowling attack?

Which team currently has the best fast bowling attack?

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Philander - Hazelwood
Rabada - Starc
Ngidi - Cummins

Pretty neck and neck. Only way South Africa go ahead is if Steyn ever comes back.
Right at the moment,

Philander > Hazlewood
Rabada > Starc
Cummins > Ngidi

Marsh is not as good of a 4th bowler as Morkel either, but his batting is way better so that makes up for it.

I genuinely think that South Africa's attack is fractionally ahead right now when taking fast bowling only into account.

A combined attack IMO would be:

Rabada
Philander/Starc (if the wicket has something in it, Philander otherwise Starc)
Cummins

Cummins is by a long way the best first change bowler in the world right now and he'd be even better opening.

stephen

Incidentally, the only change I'd make to that lineup for a world XI is to bring in Anderson instead of Starc/Philander in English conditions.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah pretty much. One of those guys who usually operates in the fast-medium range but has an express change-up ball.
I think once in a while either the gun is wrong or the bowlers action just clicks and they let one go quickly unintentionally. Haze has bowled 150 a few times as well.

cnerd123

likes this
I imagine if you've got the biomechanics and the strength to bowl in the 135-145 range all day, you probably have it in you to bowl it up to 150s if you really let it go.

Bolo

State Captain
Right at the moment,

Philander > Hazlewood
Rabada > Starc
Cummins > Ngidi

Marsh is not as good of a 4th bowler as Morkel either, but his batting is way better so that makes up for it.

I genuinely think that South Africa's attack is fractionally ahead right now when taking fast bowling only into account.

A combined attack IMO would be:

Rabada
Philander/Starc (if the wicket has something in it, Philander otherwise Starc)
Cummins

Cummins is by a long way the best first change bowler in the world right now and he'd be even better opening.
Rabada bowls change as well, and is ahead of Cummins. Probably the two best change bowlers since the 80s, and both the best bowlers in their own teams, which is really unusual.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ngidi does hit the high 140's - 150's... but he is 19 and has not built his stamina and fitness up well enough, which effects his consistency. Not capable yet of bowling a spell of 4 overs at top speed. He is a fantastic find for SA, but has been pushed into the team early for reasons other than cricketing....

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I had no idea Ngidi was so young

Hell of a prospect then
Sorry I lied... just checked his age 21 about to turn 22; but was initially picked for T20's when he was 19/20... was out injured for a year or so now come back. But still pretty young with little FC experience.

Bolo

State Captain
I don't think Ngidi is getting any quicker on average, because it looks like he's already learning to bowl within himself. He may get a bit more stamina though and barely dip below 140- he's hardly bowled at all and is enourmous despite dropping weight. There's talk of him maybe cutting back on a bit of muscle for fitness.

He looks a great prospect with all the natural skills- height, bounce pace and swing. Possibly more importantly, he's already showing signs of adaptability and the ability to learn- adjusting length and pace as needed. Fitness is a concern though considering he's already had serious injuries and his size. If he can stay fit he should end up at least as good as Morkel, and maybe significantly better.

He's nowhere near a finished package yet, but his performances and results (3 matches, 14@16.4) are not something to complain about.

stephen

Rabada bowls change as well, and is ahead of Cummins. Probably the two best change bowlers since the 80s, and both the best bowlers in their own teams, which is really unusual.
I could have sworn he opened in the last test. Faulty memory issues aside there's no reason why he can't open.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I could have sworn he opened in the last test. Faulty memory issues aside there's no reason why he can't open.
Depends if Morkel/Steyn is in the team... otherwise he opens. Possibly opens before Morkel this match.

Edit: Probably similar to Cummins, if Starc/Hazlewood was injured and the backup had to come in...

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Morkel against lefties especially but Warner is not the usual leftie. I would defo open with KG.

Bolo

State Captain
He usually bowls change because he's a significantly better change bowler than anyone else. No reason he can't open other than the fact that it would weaken the change bowling too much. Anyone can get wickets with a new ball, but he's the only guy that can do it with an older one. Pretty similar to Cummins in this regard, just more extreme- Rabada is clearly one of the 2 best new ball bowlers in his team, whereas AUS have 3 potentials, plus Rabada is clearly the best reverse bowler in his team while Cummins isn't.

If Steyn comes back, Rabada and Cummins start to look very similar in this form of comparison though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah, no better way to describe KG than a man for all seasons, all conditions. He is so flexible , adaptable and such an athlete but more than anything those skill levels allow for this. Freakish.

KG's time will come to be the permanent opener. I suppose once one of Philander/Steyn is out the way he will not be bowling first change for a very long time.

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Hard to say where Rabada will end up bowling. We may find new ball bowlers of/close to his quality, because he's only an extremely good new ball bowler. Ngidi may come close. I'm not sure we'll get anything near him with the old ball though, despite ngidi looking like he has some potential to be pretty good. Rabada is simply amazing as change. The best I've ever seen by a huge margin. That type of quality is going to leave a big hole.

New ball bowling is more effective though and it might make more sense to leave a bigger hole in the middle than a smaller one at the top.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yadav played cricket against his family's will, he was a laborer otherwise.

Bumrah came up through youth cricket development programs

Bhuvi only started bowling in the 140s after he got selected by India

From the recent U-19 team, Kamlesh Nagarkoti has been coached and groomed since he was a kid, and while I can't find much on Mavi it seems he's been groomed since a youngster as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with the average Indian being fitter/healthier tbh - I think we're just developing fast bowlers better.
Haha fair enough I do like to talk out my ass from time to time