• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which sportsmen would make the best cricketers?

Which sportsmen would produce the best cricketers?

• Basketball

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Football

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Baseball

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Tennis

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • Badminton

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.2%

• Total voters

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
It's not an option in the poll, but I'd like to vote for F1 drivers. They're super fit, super professional, and have lightning fast reflexes. Michael Schumacher, for example, is good at practically everything. I'd love to see him pick up a cricket bat.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jungle Jumbo said:
Not doubting you at all Jack, you should know what you're talking about, but what's the theory with not walking in?
Lets say that if you are walking in, and as you see the ball go to your left, your weight is currently on your left foot. Therefore you need to take an extra step to move to your left side. Also, it gives you a range of 360 degrees movement, as opposed to walking in where you have a bigger turning circle if the ball goes over/behind you.

Also, the idea that you might be trying to deceive the batsman by walking in is made redundant by the fact that you're usually walking in to the same point. A number of fielders have started to change about the depth where they finish to try and get a run-out.

In the end, fielders still walk in but then prop into a "split step" as/just after the ball is hit.

Craig

World Traveller
alternative said:
A good thread, i actually opted for Baseball myself.. for the hard hitting power to clear the ground and also the fielding skills..

But on another note i also think being a Soccer Goal Keeper can enhance the ability to do wicket keeping..
Worked for Jacob Oram.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
mundaneyogi said:
It's not an option in the poll, but I'd like to vote for F1 drivers. They're super fit, super professional, and have lightning fast reflexes. Michael Schumacher, for example, is good at practically everything. I'd love to see him pick up a cricket bat.
You get the impression he'd be a ruthlessly efficient batsman, a Kallis sort.

mcmcdoogs

Cricket Spectator
I voted for baseball because I have played baseball before and they are very similar. Some people say that it is easy catching a baseball with a glove but that is not true at all. The game is set up much differently so that catching a baseball is amazingly hard. Baseball players would make fantastic cricketeers.

adharcric

International Coach
Catching in baseball is quite different from catching in cricket. If you tried to catch in cricket the way you catch in baseball, you'd definitely fracture a few bones in your hand.