• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which of these two teams would win in a five match ODI series?

Who would win in a five match ODI series?

• Total voters
Team 1

1.AC Gilchrist
2.SR Tendulkar
3.RT Ponting
4.V Richards
5.M Bevan
6.C Cairns
7.S Pollock
8.W Akram
9.M Murali
10.J Garner
11.G Mcgrath

Team 2

1.S Jayasuriya
2.M Hayden
3.B Lara
4.J Miandad
5.A Symonds
6.L Klusener
7.MS Dhoni
8.I Khan
9.S Warne
10.W Younus
11.C Ambrose

0RI0N

State 12th Man
1 Build a time machine.
2 Collect all players at their respective peaks.
3 Assemble them at a point in teh future to play 5 ODI's.
4 ????
5 profit
Team 1 wins 3 - 2

Teja.

Global Moderator
IMO If only their peaks are considered, due to Waqar being so Gun in his peak, it gives Team B an advantage, and they will win 3-2 . If overall record is considered, Team A, 3-2.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO If only their peaks are considered, due to Waqar being so Gun in his peak, it gives Team B an advantage, and they will win 3-2 . If overall record is considered, Team I, 3-2.
You think the 9th XI would beat both these teams?

trapol

U19 12th Man
Oh my God did you just put Andrew Symonds in one of those teams.

He has to be one of the most overrated cricketers of all time!!!

You couldnt come up with anyone better

Himannv

International Coach
Almost impossible to say IMO.. At their peaks, any one of them can be devastating. Sanath, Viv, Gilchrist, and a few others have a tendency of being devastating with almost no warning and can pull off a victory almost single handedly. Same could be said of those bowlers, on their day, many are unplayable. Just to compare and contrast them here:

1. Team 2 bats far deeper than Team 1.

2. Team 1 has more strike bowling options than Team 2. (5 would be enough though, surely a superior batting allrounder would be a better option at 6 for Team 1). Better bowling attack on the whole IMO.

3. Both teams have players who are not playing in their best position. On the whole I think its best to play those players in their best position.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Team one contains more consistent players than team two, so team one it is.

Edit: to expand, team one seems to be full of the 'top level' greats, whereas most of the players (well, batsmen) in team two are in that level just below.

But probably too close to call...

[/indecisive] Not a bad thread, actually.

Last edited:

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Team 1

1.AC Gilchrist
2.SR Tendulkar
3.RT Ponting
4.V Richards
5.M Bevan
6.C Cairns
7.S Pollock
8.W Akram
9.M Murali
10.J Garner
11.G Mcgrath

Team 2

1.S Jayasuriya
2.M Hayden
3.B Lara
4.J Miandad
5.A Symonds
6.L Klusener
7.MS Dhoni
8.I Khan
9.S Warne
10.W Younus
11.C Ambrose
Okay, let's take it face value.

Gilchrist v S Jayasuriya

Not too disimilar in the roles they played. Both can win matches on their own but I would back Gilly for consistency.

1-0 Team 1

Tendulkar v Hayden

Hayden was curiously out of favour in ODIs for a while. Despite his power he sometimes looked uncomfortable being rushed. To be honest, no-one compares with SRT in this format.

2-0 Team 1

Lara V Ponting

An odd one, because despite Lara having the even greater talent and being more of a destructive batsman as a rule, Ponting has had the better ODI career.

3-0 Team 1

Richards V Javed

I don't comment too much on players I know very little of, but the records and reputation would favour Viv.

4-0 team 1

Bevan v Symonds

Tough because I really rate Symonds in this format. But the way Bev used to time the scoring at the back end of an innings was awe inspiring. He was inhuman for a time.

5-0 team 1

Cairns v Lance

I'll go with Lance here as he seemed born to play one-day cricket. Although I rated Cairns very highly as a player.

5-1 team 1.

Pollock v Dhoni

Tough because one is a batsman who now plays as a finisher and the other is a bowling allrounder. I'll sit on the fence.

Still 5-1 team 1

Akram v Khan

I'll go with Wasim out of personal choice and the fact that he bowled in an era when batsmen started to really take control.

6-1 team 1

Murali v Warne

Warne had a very good ODI career but leggies weren't meant for this format and Warne, IMO, was too arrogant to fully accept the role of container at times, much like in today's IPL. Murali has no problem bowling a very negative line when required.

7-1 Team 1

Garner v Younis

Garner's record is too good to ignore but Waqar could win games on his own. I'll sit on the fence (again)

Still 7-1 team 1

Ambrose V Mcgrath

I would just side with Mcgrath, despite Ambrose's better economy, as I consider Pig the greatest fast bowler in the past 20 years and possibly a fair bit beyond that.

Final result in the flawed analysis = 8-1 to team 1

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
This thread might need to be merged with t'other, from which it originally sprang of course.

As I wrote in the other thread, Team 1 has too many bowlers for my liking. 6 front-line bowlers plus 4 part-timers. You could fit another batsman in there easily and you'd have the greatest ODI team in history. Whereas Team 2 has only got 5 front-line bowlers if you count Klusener as the 5th.

That said the point of the thread is how hard it is to pick between a 1st XI and 2nd XI - and indeed it is pretty tough to pick which of these would win. Team 1, maybe, but only maybe imho. And if you rebalance the teams then it might be even harder to call.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Team 1

1.AC Gilchrist
2.SR Tendulkar
3.RT Ponting
4.V Richards
5.M Bevan
6.C Cairns
7.S Pollock
8.W Akram
9.M Murali
10.J Garner
11.G Mcgrath

Team 2

1.S Jayasuriya
2.M Hayden
3.B Lara
4.J Miandad
5.A Symonds
6.L Klusener
7.MS Dhoni
8.I Khan
9.S Warne
10.W Younus
11.C Ambrose
Depends on the conditions. If the match is held in dry subcontinent conditions, Team 2 will win. I think Jayasuriya and Hayden might be the better opening pair in that case, Miandad and Dhoni are very good at rotating the strike and going after the spinners and Waqar for the reverse swing in the middle/death overs. If the series is played in seaming conditions with a hint of bounce with the ball coming on to the bat, Team A will have the edge. None better than McGrath, Akram, Pollock to exploit that and I believe the batsmen in Team A (bar Lara) suit those conditions better as well. Sachin, Gilly, Ponting, Richards are more technically solid and can get more runs off textbook shots than Jayasuriya, Hayden, Miandad, Dhoni.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
None of that is based on records and stats by the way, before someone pulls me up with actual numbers indicating that my assumptions are wrong. :p

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
And who'd win a 5-match Test series between these same teams? I honestly couldn't choose between them.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh my God did you just put Andrew Symonds in one of those teams.

He has to be one of the most overrated cricketers of all time!!!

You couldnt come up with anyone better
An average of almost 40, while striking above 90, and being able to offer amazing fielding and a few overs in the middle? He was never an amazing Test player, but he's one of the best in ODIs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And who'd win a 5-match Test series between these same teams? I honestly couldn't choose between them.
Team 2 IMO.

I'm not convinced that Bevan, Cairns and Pollock would be a good enough batting lineup from 5 to 7.

Team 2 at least has Dhoni at 7 and Khan at 8! Also team 2 is better balanced, not having a wicketkeeper in Gilchrist opening the batting.

it's not that much more important having 5 great bowlers (team 1) compared with 4 great bowlers (team 2).