• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which International Cricketers Would Make the Aussie Side?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Why not count Greg Chappell as well, you know he might make himself available after the WC 2007 ? :laugh:

No really, I was talking about the present team and you cant count Waugh and Lehman, they are retired, Clark is not in the team for whatever reasons and Symonds is, so in the current team Ashraful can easily replace Symonds. And it's not as if Clark has been breaking records after records and setting the world alight with his batting. He hasn't really done much since his debut series. So on the basis of current form I would pick Ashraful ahead of Clark as well.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
simply based on the few gems he's produced. Can you put him in the bracket of Lara, Tendulkar and Flintoff just like that?
Lara, Sachin, Freddie dont play for BD, if they did I would have picked them ahead of Ashraful. You asked "..from the other cricketing nations, who would crack the Aussie side? "

And I genuinely believe that If there is one BD cricketer who can find a place in this current aussie side is then it is Ashraful ahead of Symonds and Clark both.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Fair enough. I personally wouldn't take Ashraful over guys like Yuvi, Laxman, KP and Younis.
But none of them play for Bangladesh dude. Anyways I will take Ashraful over Yuvi.

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
But none of them play for Bangladesh dude. Anyways I will take Ashraful over Yuvi.
Which country they represent doesn't matter. There's no requirement that you need to have at least one from each country. Anyways, no big deal.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
Which country they represent doesn't matter. There's no requirement that you need to have at least one from each country. Anyways, no big deal.
Well in that case there is no point in selecting more than two players, just replace Rahul Dravid in place of Damien Martyn and Andrew Symonds with Freddie Flintoff and close the thread. :)

adharcric

International Coach
Sanz said:
Well in that case there is no point in selecting more than two players, just replace Rahul Dravid in place of Damien Martyn and Andrew Symonds with Freddie Flintoff and close the thread. :)
Ok.8-) (I wasn't going by current form but I guess now we are)

crickmate

U19 12th Man
when Steve Waugh first saw Ashraful in 2003 in Australia, he predicted that one day Ashraful will be one of the best batsmen of the world. Even his short lived innings are so delightful to watch that I just hope he comes out of the insconsistancy like Atapattu to prove himself.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
For me something like this:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Dravid* (Martyn)
Kallis (Hussey)
Flintoff (Symonds)
Gilchrist+
Warne
Bond (Lee)
Murali (Kaspa)
McGarth

Not a World XI side, but players that would make the Australian side infront of the current guys there.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hayden
Kallis***
Ponting
Dravid
Tendulkar**
Lara**
Gilchrist+
Flintoff
Warne*
Murali
McGarth

**Assumes we are going by 'in their prime', rather than 'current form'. And Warne should be captain :).
***If you assume in their prime, then he can be an allrounder, current form he would be a batsman

Last edited:

oz_fan

International Regular
silentstriker said:
Hayden
Kallis***
Ponting
Dravid
Tendulkar**
Lara**
Gilchrist+
Flintoff
Warne*
Murali
McGarth

**Assumes we are going by 'in their prime', rather than 'current form'. And Warne should be captain :).
***If you assume in their prime, then he can be an allrounder, current form he would be a batsman
I don't think Kallis has ever opened the batting.

tooextracool

International Coach
oz_fan said:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Kallis
Gilchrist
Flintoff
Pollock
Warne
McGrath

Murali for Pollock if the conditions suit.
why in the world would anyone have Pollock over Gillespie or kasparowicz?

tooextracool

International Coach
Sanz said:
What is so funny about that ? You think Andrew Symonds is a better test batsman than Md. Ashraful ? Or may be just because he is from Bangladesh, he automatically becomes inferior to all aussie cricketers ?
problem is that if andrew symonds is the measuring stick, then you might as well come up with a list of batsmen who wouldnt make the australian side, as there would be very few.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tooextracool said:
why in the world would anyone have Pollock over Gillespie or kasparowicz?
Because this is assuming they are in their prime I'm guessing? And there ain't no way in hell you can argue that at their peaks Kaspa is better than Pollock!

And even then, all 3 bowlers are past their best now-a-days anyway if its referring to current form.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
From performances in the past twelve months, to many number three’s but what the hell.

Kumar Sangakkara- Wicket Keeper
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Rahul Dravid
Andrew Flintoff
Shane Warne- Captain
Brett Lee
Shoaib Akhtar
Glenn McGrath

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TT Boy said:
From performances in the past twelve months, to many number three’s but what the hell.

Kumar Sangakkara- Wicket Keeper
Matthew Hayden
Ricky Ponting
Brian Lara
Jacques Kallis
Rahul Dravid
Andrew Flintoff
Shane Warne- Captain
Brett Lee
Shoaib Akhtar
Glenn McGrath
Lara would not make it based on the performances of the past 12 months. And neither would Sangakkara, at least as an opener (he averages 37 as an opener in tests).

But Gilchrist's form isn't as good either, so he might make it (but not open!). And Dravid is most definatly not a number six. I'd put him in place of Lara.

In the last 7 matches, Lara only averages 36.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yes Sanga would. Who would make it in front of him? In test cricket, the only one possible is Akmal and I think Sanga's past 12 months have been better. Can't confirm that though and am too lazy to statsguru it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jono said:
Yes Sanga would. Who would make it in front of him? In test cricket, the only one possible is Akmal and I think Sanga's past 12 months have been better. Can't confirm that though and am too lazy to statsguru it.
Yes, after statsguru'ing it, I'd agree with you. He has been doing better than Gilchrist.