• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which International Cricketers Would Make the Aussie Side?

tooextracool

International Coach
adharcric said:
Maybe you should read before you type, I already mentioned I'm talking about batting and not overall performance. You can say what you want, but Pathan's averaged 35 with the bat in the last 10 tests ... that's good enough for me. Again, Flintoff is clearly a better cricketer than Pathan but he got plenty of let-offs in the test series; as the captain and a top-six batsman, he shouldn't be playing some of the shots he has. All I'm saying is that Pathan is the next best option to Flintoff, particularly in ODIs. Flintoff remains a better batsman as well, but Pathan has looked just as composed in ODIs lately.
i dont see how irfan pathans test batting performances in his last 10 tests prove much. 2 of them were against the might of zimbabwe, and another 2 were on pitches where cricket should never be played on.
for me when it comes to tests there is no comparison between the 2, i dont see why pathan should be in the side ahead of munaf or shreesanth, and his batting while it has potential lacks maturity.
ODIs is another story however and yes he has merited selection in ODIs based on competent all round performances

Matt79

Global Moderator
To avoid merely creating a World XI, I'll nominate three players only, based on who I think the Aussie team would see as fulfilling current deficiencies:

1) Flintoff - obviously. Would merit selection on bowling alone, and allow a three seemer/two spinner or four seemer/1 spinner line up.

2) Dravid

3) Murali.

They'd therefore play:

Haydne
Langer
Ponting
Dravid
Hussey
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Murali

gilly probably should be replaced by Sanga at seven, but the aussies would never do that

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Matt79 said:
To avoid merely creating a World XI, I'll nominate three players only, based on who I think the Aussie team would see as fulfilling current deficiencies:

1) Flintoff - obviously. Would merit selection on bowling alone, and allow a three seemer/two spinner or four seemer/1 spinner line up.

2) Dravid

3) Murali.

They'd therefore play:

Haydne
Langer
Ponting
Dravid
Hussey
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Murali

gilly probably should be replaced by Sanga at seven, but the aussies would never do that
Makes no difference, but I think if that were to ever happen, Gilly'd bat 6 and Fred 7.

Matt79

Global Moderator
True, and if, as the original message suggested we take the form over the past few years, as opposed to the last twelve months, Gilly would be a cinch to stay in.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matt79 said:
True, and if, as the original message suggested we take the form over the past few years, as opposed to the last twelve months, Gilly would be a cinch to stay in.
Erm why exactly?

Since 1/1/04 : Gilchrist - 1809 @ 37.69, Sangakkara - 1939 @ 48.48

Matt79

Global Moderator
Cos i said so! :)

Hmmm, that's a good stat. How many of Sanga runs came against minnows cf Gilchrist?

If they're both at their peak, Gilchrist is the better player, but that isn't what I was discussing was it?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Matt79 said:
Hmmm, that's a good stat. How many of Sanga runs came against minnows cf Gilchrist?
Remove the minnows and KS, still has 1506 @ 45.64, which is still far ahead of Gilchrist.

Matt79 said:
If they're both at their peak, Gilchrist is the better player, but that isn't what I was discussing was it?
No, it isn't, you said the last few years...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Havent read the whole thread but Sanga's problem is that he is a very, very ordinary keeper.

Given their form of late, there is obviously an argument for including him at Gilly's expense but their keeping ability is poles apart.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
No way Harbhajan would make it ahead of Kumble, and Kumble would only play at the SCG or the subcontinent, most likely.

I'd say Tendulkar and Dravid would make it, of course.

From England, Flintoff would make it, but that'd be it from the batting I think. Simon Jones would cruise in to the third seamer spot, as would Hoggard if Jones was unavailable.

agree with all of that. Loved watching Jones bowl during the ashes

Beleg

International Regular
South Africa,

Ntini
Pollock
Kallis

Pakistan,

Shoaib
Inzamam

India,

Dravid
Kumble

England,

Flintoff
Hoggard
Jones

Sri Lanka,

Muralitharan
Sangakara

NZ,

Bond

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
South Africa,

Ntini
Pollock
Kallis

Pakistan,

Shoaib
Inzamam

India,

Dravid
Kumble

England,

Flintoff
Hoggard
Jones

Sri Lanka,

Muralitharan
Sangakara

NZ,

Bond
agreed with everything except Pollock and Kumble. Pollock is in decline so dont think he would be as useful to the aussies as before. Plus their is already MacGill so even though Kumble is a great bowler dont think he is that needed.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Beleg said:
England,

Flintoff
Hoggard
Jones

Sri Lanka,

Muralitharan
Sangakara
I don't think Sangakkara would have made the Aussie team if he had the same domestic record as an Australian. He has certainly played above his implied self.

Regarding Hoggard, who exactly would he come into the team for? That's a very interesting selection and one which I strongly disagree with.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Regarding Hoggard, who exactly would he come into the team for? That's a very interesting selection and one which I strongly disagree with.
well before Dizzy came back it think he would have, because other than McGrath and Lee, Australia's back-up still had question marks even with Clark's sudden emergence..

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Jones and Hoggard wouldn't come into the team together, but I think one of them would. Right now, they'd come in for Clark, and after McGrath came back they'd probably still replace Gillespie.

Pollock and Sangakkara definitely wouldn't make the Australian team, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a spot for Kumble or Ntini right at this moment, though Ntini could find a place until McGrath returns (if he returns).

howardj

International Coach
This is really a World XI thread

(if fit)

Trescothick
Hayden
Ponting
Dravid
Inzamam
Kallis
Flintoff
Boucher
Warne
SJones
Akhtar

Yes, I think Gilly is passed it. Also, doesn't seem to be as passionate as he once was, particularly on tour.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well howard, i don't think Gilly is passed it as yet, i'll wait until the ashes to be certain. I'd take Tendulkar being left since he is a shadow of himself but Lara still rocks.

Trescothick
Hayden
Ponting
Lara
Dravid
Flintoff
Gilchrist
Warne
Akhtar
Muralitharan
McGrath

12th man; Kallis

The only headche is Lara or Kallis. Yea Kallis has been super consistent since the 2003/04 season. But even though Lara hasn't been that consistent during that same period, he has still managed some BIG scores and really hasn't looked like he is losing it a la Mr.Tendulkar. So for me that should be enough to pick Lara ahead of Kallis since he can destroy an attack when in full flow, where as Kallis will just wear you down.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
even with Clark's had suddenly emergence..
Firstly, and you say I don't make sense? :huh:
Secondly, he's been playing first class cricket for nigh on a decade and was called into the Ashes squad as cover for McGrath and Lee. In what way has this emergence of his been sudden?