• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian players were unlucky not be given a consistent chance?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vast majority of those you mentioned were lucky to get a game at all tbh.

Agree with Dan that Kartik could have played more if not for Kumble/Harbhajan.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There was this tour in 1999 to Australia where we lost 3-0. In that tour, a lot of people were given some chances but didn't make runs. After the tour, SMG said he was seeing a lack of talent. A lot of these players were drubbed later. The main point is some of the players not getting decent runs. This isn't the case in regards to all the players but definitely in the case of a fair few. You would play a player for a few games, selected when far too young or old due to zonal pressures and soon drubbed, never to be recalled again. There was also the case of Abhijit Kale which came up where he supposedly was giving money to be selected in the team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Saba Karim was keeping close to the wicket to Kumble and a ball hit him in the eye and he was never the same keeper after that. Else, he could have played more. I remember his ODI inning in the 1997 SA tour with much fondness.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Late 90s and early 00s Indian wicketkeepers always kill me on Sporcle quizzes.

I seriously need to remember the existence of Saba Karim, Nayan Mongia, Deep Dasgupta, Mannava Prasad, Ajay Ratra, Sameer Dighe and Vijay Dahiya? FFS.

Jumno

U19 Captain
Who were the unlucky Indian players not to be given a consistent chance or more chances in the Indian odi and test team?

I can think of Ramesh, Bharadwaj, M Kartick and some pacers like Balaji, Kumaran, Harvinder Singh and I Pathan.

About 90% of these players were brought in the team from 98-2002.
D Gandhi
S Ramesh
Kantikar
J Martin
Badani
R Sodhi
Dhahiya (w/k)
V Bharadwaj-off spin
Kumaran-pace
Mohanty-pace
Kuruvilla-pace

Harvinder Singh-pace
R Gavaskar
Salvi-pace
M Prasad(w/k)
Ratra(w/k)
Dasgupta(w/k)
Kapoor (played in 96 wc)
VRV Singh-pace
I Pathan-pace
Balaji-pace
R Powar
N Chopra-off spin
A Khurunishya (Picked for 99 wc)
S Sriram
Joshi-left arm spin
M Kartick-left arm spin
A Bhandari (played in asia cup 2000/sharjah series 2000)
Anolka-pace
Banajaree-pace
RP Singh-pace
Bahuttle-leg spin
Chauhan
Bedade
Dighe (w/k)
Saba Karim (w/k)
Wasim Jaffer
Venugopal Rao
Uthappa (played in a handful of odi's)
S Banger
Amit Misha-leg spin bowling
Rathore
Kulkarni-spinner

All 6 wicketkeepers also played in that 98-2002 region.

Flem274*

123/5
pankaj singh and that fat medium pacer praveen kumar could have been decent. with india tho the trend is to change the bowlers every other game and persist with meme batsmen until the heat death of the universe, so this thread probably skews towards solid medium pacers who weren't going to be the bumrah india demanded but didn't have at the time.

Jumno

U19 Captain
D Gandhi
S Ramesh
Kantikar
J Martin
Badani
R Sodhi
Dhahiya (w/k)
V Bharadwaj-off spin
Kumaran-pace
Mohanty-pace
Kuruvilla-pace

Harvinder Singh-pace
R Gavaskar
Salvi-pace
M Prasad(w/k)
Ratra(w/k)
Dasgupta(w/k)
Kapoor (played in 96 wc)
VRV Singh-pace
I Pathan-pace
Balaji-pace
R Powar
N Chopra-off spin
A Khurunishya (Picked for 99 wc)
S Sriram
Joshi-left arm spin
M Kartick-left arm spin
A Bhandari (played in asia cup 2000/sharjah series 2000)
Anolka-pace
Banajaree-pace
RP Singh-pace
Bahuttle-leg spin
Chauhan
Bedade
Dighe (w/k)
Saba Karim (w/k)
Wasim Jaffer
Venugopal Rao
Uthappa (played in a handful of odi's)
S Banger
Amit Misha-leg spin bowling
Rathore
Kulkarni-spinner
R Shangvi
P Kumar

V Kumar
Dinda
Undakat

Vs the guys who got the chance and played consistently:

Sreesanth
Ganguly
Tendulkar
Laxman
Dravid
Yuvraj
Kaif
D Mongia
Mongia (w/k)
Dhoni (w/k)
P Patel (w/k)
D Mongia
Azharuddin
Jadeja
Kambli
Sidhu
V Raju
Kumble
H Singh
V Prasad
Srinath
Zaheer
Nehra
Agarkar
M Patel
Bumrah
U Yadav
I Sharma
M Shami
M Siraj
B Kumar
Pant (w/k)
Raina
Pujara
Dhawan
Kohli
R Sharma
Rahane
KL Rahul
Vihari
K Yadav
Chahal
Ashwin
R Jadeja
P Chawla
H Pandya
Jadhav
M Pandey

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Beggars belief that Amol Muzumdar was never given a chance, not even in some throwaway ODI. Made 260 on debut for Mumbai at age 19 and I remember it was generally assumed he would qualify for national honors. Never happened, despite a very good career at domestic level.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah badrinath probably one of the more unlucky ones. I think he had a few technical limitations which would've made it tough for him at Test level but in any other era he'd have gotten so many more chances.