• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

where is vikram

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Langeveldt said:
Oh yeah Im not doubting that we will see in East London.. The ball will move heaps if its a night game.. I hope he is up to it..
yes, that will be the real test of his quality, if he puts in a poor display there then bell will be much deserved with a place in the squad, however if solanki plays like he can then i think it will more than justify his selection and will keep him in that position for a little while yet.

twctopcat

International Regular
Solanki gets a 60 odd then gets dropped for Vaughan of all people who then comes back in to make a superlative 0. I'm not saying Solanki is world class, but damn is he a better ODI batter than Vaughan, yet Vaughan will never be dropped. :@

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
Solanki gets a 60 odd then gets dropped for Vaughan of all people who then comes back in to make a superlative 0. I'm not saying Solanki is world class, but damn is he a better ODI batter than Vaughan, yet Vaughan will never be dropped. :@
Whats he going to do, skipper via cellphone?

(I get your point, its just hard to drop the captain, especially a largely succesful one)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
sledger said:
a start....but the fact that solanki has recently made 2 high scores (one albeit against a very poor team) the other was against SA which is surely evidence enough of why he should be in the team, in fact a recall maybe on the cards after todays performance by england....
Given enough chances (he's had more than enough) he's bound to have the odd decent innings, Solanki has had a long run in the side and it's time for Bell to have his run.

twctopcat

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
Whats he going to do, skipper via cellphone?
Now thats a bloody convincing argument. Him and tres should have ear pieces and then when can be rid of ODI Vaughan for good!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sledger said:
hmmm that is debatable but surely solanki in the current state of affairs warrants a place in the side more than bell does.
Even with so many failures?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
twctopcat said:
yes im afraid its the sheer stupidity of the england selection process and player power, maybe trescothick should be made permanent captain and vaughn spared so he can concentrate on his test form ?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
twctopcat said:
Hmmm....

Vaughan v Bangladesh - 75 runs @ 37.50
Vaughan v Namibia - 14 runs @ 14.00
Vaughan v Netherlands - 51 runs @ 51.00
Vaughan v Zimbabwe - 287 runs @ 71.75

Solanki v Bangladesh - 11 runs @ 3.66
Solanki v Zimbabwe - 306 runs @ 27.81

Vaughan v non-minnow teams:
48 innings
2 NOs
1098 runs
23.87 Avge

Solanki v non-minnow teams:
16 innings
1 NO
471 runs
31.40 Avge

There is a definite point there, though Solanki hasn't been amazing either.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Bell's not a superior fielder. Solanki is second only to Collingwood in the England setup in terms of athleticism in the covers/point region.
Solanki's fielding is way overrated.
Good darn job he didn't play at Newlands - he cost the last game there single-handedly by giving-away 9 runs in the field in a game that was lost by 1 run.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hmmm....

Vaughan v Bangladesh - 75 runs @ 37.50
Vaughan v Namibia - 14 runs @ 14.00
Vaughan v Netherlands - 51 runs @ 51.00
Vaughan v Zimbabwe - 287 runs @ 71.75

Solanki v Bangladesh - 11 runs @ 3.66
Solanki v Zimbabwe - 306 runs @ 27.81

Vaughan v non-minnow teams:
48 innings
2 NOs
1098 runs
23.87 Avge

Solanki v non-minnow teams:
16 innings
1 NO
471 runs
31.40 Avge

There is a definite point there, though Solanki hasn't been amazing either.
Funny - I looked at the same stuff at exactly the same point.
Makes interesting reading if you do it for Collingwood, too - but he's immune to criticism apparently.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
We've tried that already...
Well... it was wired-up to Bob Woolmer (the coach), and it wasn't exactly like Cronje was shoddy at the old tactics... still, I don't like the way it's banned, why does captaincy have to be done by someone on the field... no good reason except "that's the way it's always been". :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
twctopcat said:
Solanki and Vaughan are equally poor IMO.
Yet both of them still bloody well manage to average over 40 against South Africa!!!!! It's ridiculous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jono said:
Where is Vaughan's ODI century? :happy:
Where's Solanki's where he wasn't caught-behind off a no-ball on 21?
Vaughan could easily have made a century in one of his rare 70s or 80s, if he'd had a slice of luck.

twctopcat

International Regular
Richard said:
Solanki and Vaughan are equally poor IMO.
Yet both of them still bloody well manage to average over 40 against South Africa!!!!! It's ridiculous.
They are definitely poor, but different levels of poorness. They are both adept at chasing stupid balls, but i prefer Solanki purely because he seems to be able to create singles more and has a greater array of strokes. Vaughan has problems rotating the strike a lot of the time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richard said:
Where's Solanki's where he wasn't caught-behind off a no-ball on 21?
Vaughan could easily have made a century in one of his rare 70s or 80s, if he'd had a slice of luck.
Where did I even mention Solanki in my post, or even suggest that he should be in the team? It was clearly tongue in cheek.

Try again Richard. Please try again..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In saying Vaughan did not have a ODI century - in response to a post about Vaughan's merits relative to Solanki - you were (whether deliberately or not) mentioning that Solanki did.
I was pointing-out why that wasn't relevant.