• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Virat Kohli rank amongst Asian captains ?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Ganguly-Dhoni-Kohli is a mini version of AB-Steve Waugh-Ponting. All great captains but the W-L record keeps getting better as each played their part to ensure that they gave a stronger team to their successors.

Victor Ian

International Coach
In tests, aside from beating a minnow class Australia, which Dravid's team would have likely done, what has Kohli done better than those before him (in India). He's won at home. They pretty much all did. He hasn't won in SA or England.

In ODI's he has not won a world cup. Nor in T20.

Dhoni did those things, aside from the beating an Australian team of minnows. While I rate Kohli's leadership I also rated Dhoni very highly. Probably more on inspiring the team rather than tactics, but not everyone is a Taylor, Benaud or Clarke.

Ganguly played a part in making India stand up and be strong and be less 'apparently' meek. I like the way cricaddict put it.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is like saying Waugh or Ponting is the greatest captain ever because their teams were the best. Kohli didn't make his bowlers. The batsmen, though, they have regressed under him, Pujara aside.

But yeah, I'd agree Kohli's team > Dhoni's team > Ganguly's team