• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When the Football World Cup is on should other sports take a break?

When the Football World Cup is on should other sports take a break?

• Total voters

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am posting this poll to find out everyone's opinion on this , because to me it makes sense for other sports to take a break when the Football World Cup is on because not many people seem to be interested in anything else.

I know the ODIs going onin England despite being sellout's are not faring well when having to compete for TV ratings . I personally missed the US open and lot of league and even Union to concentrate purely the Football World Cup and even several reptitive replays (I mean full replays of key games) and Highlights packages .

To me it would make sense for International Cricket to be kept off in the future during the greatest Global Sporting Fiesta , the FIFA World Cup .

Your views please .

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Makes some sense. I didn't get to watch most of the second Test between West Indies and India. Forgot about it since I was focused on the World Cup.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You can't just say 'despite being sellouts'. The crowds are still good. TV ratings may be less, but that's just a part of soccer being a rival sport.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, of course not.

Sport doesn't just exist in order to give entertainment to spectators (witness England's ODI side .... er, forget that, witness England's football team).

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
the world cup comes around in the summer every four years, wed basically be giving up the cricket season every 4 years!
not everyone likes football you know!

meflymatty

Cricket Spectator
i dont care because it is winter here and there is no cricket and the socceroos are goin awesome so who cares?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
JASON said:
I am posting this poll to find out everyone's opinion on this , because to me it makes sense for other sports to take a break when the Football World Cup is on because not many people seem to be interested in anything else.

I know the ODIs going onin England despite being sellout's are not faring well when having to compete for TV ratings . I personally missed the US open and lot of league and even Union to concentrate purely the Football World Cup and even several reptitive replays (I mean full replays of key games) and Highlights packages .
Well, that's your choice to watch those replays over and over. What about the sports fan who wants to watch bit of everything?

Ridiculous suggestion. Too many professional sports going on in this world for the idea to even be taken seriously.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They shouldn't take a break, but the ECB have scheduled wisely this summer, in the knwoledge that us poms just could not care about ODIs, they scheduled the Natwest Series during the World Cup, with the Test series against both Sl & Pakistan falling either side of England winning the World Cup.

On the other hand, noone will care whatsoever about Wimbledon this year 8-)

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Voltman said:
Well, that's your choice to watch those replays over and over. What about the sports fan who wants to watch bit of everything?

Ridiculous suggestion. Too many professional sports going on in this world for the idea to even be taken seriously.
Is the correct answer.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Not in the group stages, suppose it doesnt matter really, you want to see both of them as often as possible