• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When Do You Cheer For The Enemy?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
archie mac said:
As I have become older, it is more and more about the quality of the Cricket. But go for the poms? Not in this life time :@
I'm with you there, Archie.

However unbelievably wonderful that game was, so ridiculously far-fetched that the script might have been written by a Hollywood screenplay writer with a total misunderstanding of anything regarding cricket, I would have been as, er, gutted as an Aussie if we had lost.

nick-o

State 12th Man
Pedro Delgado said:
Bangla aside, I don't really support against England. They're a good bunch of lads and deserve all the success they've had. I do cheer on individuals against us though; Kumble and Sachin, Lara, Brett Lee (not yesterday though, I've never been more partisan). I love watching Kallis bat and am prepared to let him score 100's against us, I'm still awaiting a great knock from Gilly which I won't mind too much, I've enjoyed Langer this series, and Kasper seems to be a decent chap in the Reiffell mode (another chap I really liked) and don't mind him getting wickets.

But teams against us;no. Since I started following the game properly in '89, it's been such a drought, so moribund and so tragic, that a sniff of succes will have me hanging from the rafters. If we're world champions in five years time I'll probably have a different perspective, but for the moment I'm enjoying the success of John Bull and hope it continues.
Agree entirely: I'm thinking of Lara's 400 -- every member of the family, from 81-year-old grandfather to 9-year-old nephew jumping up and down celebrating.

But it's hard to back a team.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Macka said:
Despite my friend's disgust, I have been cheering for the England team. It is quite possible I woke up my flatmates when Harmison took that last wicket. Go England, go!
What about that great kiwi saying, "I support New Zealand and anyone playing Australia".
I actually found myself cheering for England last night even though i usually just watch cricket with a quite neutral view

simmy

International Regular
The way that England dealt with the Windies and NZ over the last few years meant that I really felt sorry for them! I was actually elated for Lara when he got 400... such a nice guy and to do that with all the harassment the Eng seamers had given him in the 3 previous tests was brilliant. I certainly felt sorry for the NZ team who were massively injury strucken and also Bangla.

As for the Aussies... I could never feel sorry for them. They have had things their own way for far too long!!

Am I the only one who loves watching Gillespie being smashed all over the park?! HAHA!

Langeveldt

Soutie
I always cheer for the enemy when England play SA :D... Or anyone who is playing Bangladesh.. I'm not too fussed about Aussie dominance, I don't mind appreciating champions, after all, someone has got to be the best

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
howardj said:
Though it horrified my brother, I actually found myself cheering for the Poms in last night's match. Almost woke the neighbours when Jones took that catch!! Though I was born in Australia, and have lived here all my life, I just think it would have killed the series if Australia won last night. I cheer against Australia heaps. I always like to see a good contest, rather than an Australian victory. The only times I've really cheered for Australia were in the latter stages of the World Cup in 1999, and in the deciding Test match in India in 2001.

So, did anyone else, find themselves (god forbid) cheering for the Poms last night? Or, more broadly, have you ever been happy when your country has been defeated?
I DID wake up my neighbours after England won. Me, my three friends (one was a real England supporter and the other was a real Australian supporter and the other hates cricket), my two uncles, my dad... We made some noise.

I generally cheer for the opposition whenever they do play really well or when the opposition happens to be West Indies.. I like them for some reason..

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
When they play Australia

:mellow:

No wait....Australia ARE the enemy

So the answer is actually NEVER, I cheered when Iran and thenUruguay knocked Australia outta the football world cup

:-)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The only once I have ever thought about cheering for Australia was when Scaly_Piscine said "If England lose that's me finished with cricket".

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Only ever feel inclined to cheer against Australia when I like the other team and want them to do well. When we play the West Indies I'm just hoping Gayle stays around for a while, and Lara gets a good bat too. But during this Ashes series, it has nothing to do with whether the team or match is good or not. I want to see England lose with every ounce of energy I have in my body, particularly seeing as I know a Pom and enjoy bagging him out when we win.

And unlike some people here, I wasn't impressed by losing a close one. I was feeling as gutted as anyone could feel (bar the players maybe) when Kasper popped that ball to the keeper - although I've found out now that it technically wasn't out, I could tell that it was going to be given out. Not sure if it means I am psychic, might just mean I would make a bad umpire.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
tassietiger said:
Only ever feel inclined to cheer against Australia when I like the other team and want them to do well. When we play the West Indies I'm just hoping Gayle stays around for a while, and Lara gets a good bat too. But during this Ashes series, it has nothing to do with whether the team or match is good or not. I want to see England lose with every ounce of energy I have in my body, particularly seeing as I know a Pom and enjoy bagging him out when we win.

And unlike some people here, I wasn't impressed by losing a close one. I was feeling as gutted as anyone could feel (bar the players maybe) when Kasper popped that ball to the keeper - although I've found out now that it technically wasn't out, I could tell that it was going to be given out. Not sure if it means I am psychic, might just mean I would make a bad umpire.
I think even the most objective Aussie will be cheering their team like mad now, they've got a competitive England, a "bullying" England coming at them hard. Unlike yourself clearly, I think some were not overly concerened by the result on Sunday as it sets up a (hopefully) thrilling series; from here-on-in though I reckon it'll be partisan all the way.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its a lot easier I'm sure to support the opposition when you're an Australian cricket supporter who has had quite a lot of success in the past decade or so. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
luckyeddie said:
The only once I have ever thought about cheering for Australia was when Scaly_Piscine said "If England lose that's me finished with cricket".
HAHAH! :D

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Pedro Delgado said:
I think even the most objective Aussie will be cheering their team like mad now, they've got a competitive England, a "bullying" England coming at them hard. Unlike yourself clearly, I think some were not overly concerened by the result on Sunday as it sets up a (hopefully) thrilling series; from here-on-in though I reckon it'll be partisan all the way.
Not saying that you're not coming at us hard, but I would've been on Australia's side anyway. Beating the Poms is a totally different thing to playing any other team, for me anyway.

Steulen

International Regular
tassietiger said:
Not saying that you're not coming at us hard, but I would've been on Australia's side anyway. Beating the Poms is a totally different thing to playing any other team, for me anyway.
The really bad thing about England winning the Ashes would be the insufferable gloating of its press.

twctopcat

International Regular
Steulen said:
The really bad thing about England winning the Ashes would be the insufferable gloating of its press.
And rightly so. No doubt Mcgrath and Warne are different class but for too long this aussie batsmen has been put on a pedestal as it bashes mediocre attacks about the world over. The moment they come up against a good attack they suddenly aren't so good, as i thought would be the case.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
twctopcat said:
And rightly so. No doubt Mcgrath and Warne are different class but for too long this aussie batsmen has been put on a pedestal as it bashes mediocre attacks about the world over. The moment they come up against a good attack they suddenly aren't so good, as i thought would be the case.
Of course, two tests proves everything doesn't it, and years of domination goes out the window because Australia got bowled out a couple of times without anyone making a century?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
tassietiger said:
Oh yeah and I do not have a problem with that, it's totally natural for an Aussie to enjoy seeing the English turned over. All I'm saying is some were getting a little tired of the no-contests, and were hoping (maybe even secretly) for England to put up a fight.

There's still a big chance of this series ending 1-4, so if I were thee I wouldn't get too worried. From my point of view we've won a thrilling live Test, and that's not far off being enough for me TBH.

twctopcat

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Of course, two tests proves everything doesn't it, and years of domination goes out the window because Australia got bowled out a couple of times without anyone making a century?
You know i didn't mean that, i merely said they weren't as good as everyone said, yet they are still obviously v good. I always thought that post steve waugh the ashes would become a contest, as ponting just doesn't have the same presence as Waugh had as captain. The fact our bowling is better has made it even more of a contest. Will be interesting to see how the aussies react.