• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When did you start watching cricket ?

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I kind of remember Astle's 222, but I only really started watching and following cricket in the lead up to the 2007 WC. Probably the CH series where we won 3-0 is when I first remember properly following it

FBU

International Debutant
I hated cricket, fat, old men in whites running back and forth. Was on holiday in South Africa and a friend made me watch SA v WI ODIs in 1998 and what a difference. Cricket at night, six hitting, fit young players, coloured clothing. Gradually got into SA cricket and was a Titan fan. She would send me tapes every few weeks. It was years before I started following England Test cricket. Didn't have SKY and remember followed Tests on Talksport. It was good in those days, ball by ball, and in the middle of the night in bed listening and scoring England in Pakistan 2000.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
1992 wc semifinal. Didn't really know much about cricket but it was hard not to get swept up in the craze. I remember reading the score out loud to my sister in the newspaper and the article talked about Inzi's 60 off 37, I read this aloud in amazement as if I understood what it meant. Then watched it on VHS a day later and I was hooked.

anil1405

International Captain
First memories - India tour of Aus in 1991-92. Vaguely remember few incidents of the ODI series in that tour and then 1992 WC got me interested in the game.

But what got me hooked was the video tapes my grandfather had of the games from late 70s and 80s that I used to watch every time I went to visit him as a kid. Regret not getting a hold on those tapes as years went by.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Summer of 1971. I was aware that we had won the Ashes in Australia during the 1970/71 winter, but didn't follow the series at all. Then I took an interest, not least because all of England's home matches were broadcast live on the BBC. So my earliest memories are Zaheer Abbas' double century, Snow barging into Gavaskar, Abid Ali somehow removing nearly the whole of our top order on one occasion, and Chandrasekhar bowling India to victory at The Oval.

Last edited:

BazBall21

International Regular
I was a casual during childhood and lost any interest during secondary school. Got back into it during the summer of 2019 and because I enjoyed both the World Cup and the Ashes so much I was hooked for life.