• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When did you start watching cricket ?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Started playing in 2006, didn’t even know what a wide or no ball was when I started playing. I think I only really got obsessed in ‘08.

Daemon

Had no idea that you're such a newbie, you live and learn every day.
Yeah relatively late starter. Even started a thread asking questions about it ages back. I know very little about the history of the game and old players but I think I’m pretty alright on analysing the game as it is today.

Much better than people like cnerd at least, having played at a higher level (low bar I admit). Not Canada premier league high but decent enough.

OverratedSanity

I vaguely remember being depressed about the 1996 WC SF though I don't remember much of the actual cricket. The Titan Cup ODI series later that year had an India vs Australia game where Kumble and Srinath had an epic partnership to win the game and the feed kept cutting to their mothers in the crowd cheering them on. Was ****ing hilarious.

The earliest test match memory I have is probably the Capetown test in 97 where SA had India 5 down for 40 or something and then Tendulkar and Azharuddin smashed 200 odd in no time. I must have watched tests before that, but that passage of play is when the format really made an impression.

Spark

Global Moderator
My earliest memory is actually watching a massive batting collapse during the Taylor years as a kid, would have been 1998 I think. Yet for some reason I kept watching, and then got hooked.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I vaguely remember being depressed about the 1996 WC SF though I don't remember much of the actual cricket. The Titan Cup ODI series later that year had an India vs Australia game where Kumble and Srinath had an epic partnership to win the game and the feed kept cutting to their mothers in the crowd cheering them on. Was ****ing hilarious.

The earliest test match memory I have is probably the Capetown test in 97 where SA had India 5 down for 40 or something and then Tendulkar and Azharuddin smashed 200 odd in no time. I must have watched tests before that, but that passage of play is when the format really made an impression.
That passage of play turned me from just a Pakistan fan to a proper cricket fan, i did enjoy watching Lara, Warne, Donald etc in little doses but could not just get to support an Indian player. When it started i felt a little guilty why i am enjoying India smashing it but as it continued i said **** it this is aweome.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Have very hazy meories of my uncles taking me to the 87 tied test at Chennai as a 3 year old... Remember watching the 1991 tri series in Australia very clearly as a 7 year old and most games since then. First game I remember seeing in person is the 1993 test against England at Chennai and had not missed a game since at Chennai since till 2011.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Beginning of the 2000s ish. It was not the epic struggle between Brijal Patel and Shane Warne at the Nairobi gymkhana but it wasn't long before that.

thierry henry

International Coach
1991/92 summer. I remember that I watched some of the England tour to NZ before the World Cup, so by the time the World Cup came around I was engrossed. Particularly remember watching the game against Australia and the semi-final loss (must have been on weekends?).

My first memories of watching cricket are also my first memories of watching sport and the start of me having a relatively unbroken human consciousness generally - like I can't remember any sport or really anything at all from 1991 or earlier, but I remember everything from 1992 onwards. I played a season of rugby league in 1990 and don't remember it at all, but I played rugby in 1992 and remember it clearly. So basically the start of me as a human was the 1991/92 summer of cricket. I mean, if I can be considered "human" obv.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ditto for me, vaguely remember NZ getting thumped by England earlier that summer, then watched the tournament opener at Eden Park and became engrossed. Helped that my mum was a big cricket fan and helped explain the rules to me. I remember distinctly feeling like Martin Crowe was about 10 feet tall by the end of that tournament.

And yeah, strangely that was the point from which I have a pretty well structured memory of my life. Everything before that is all a bit of a jumble. I guess having cricket tours and weekend games helps keep everything else neatly sign-posted and dated.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My earliest definite cricketing memory is the Rahul Dravid ball tampering incident in 2004, and I saw a number of matches. But the first series I actually watched properly was the 2010/11 Ashes.

thierry henry

International Coach
Ditto for me, vaguely remember NZ getting thumped by England earlier that summer, then watched the tournament opener at Eden Park and became engrossed. Helped that my mum was a big cricket fan and helped explain the rules to me. I remember distinctly feeling like Martin Crowe was about 10 feet tall by the end of that tournament.

And yeah, strangely that was the point from which I have a pretty well structured memory of my life. Everything before that is all a bit of a jumble. I guess having cricket tours and weekend games helps keep everything else neatly sign-posted and dated.
May I ask how old you are Bahnz? I was 6, about to turn 7 that summer which I figure is a bit old to be only just starting to form memories. I probably have some vague disconnected memories of my life before that point but they start to become sort of "structured" or "logical" after that - largely because I can track my life by various sporting events I watched.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
May I ask how old you are Bahnz? I was 6, about to turn 7 that summer which I figure is a bit old to be only just starting to form memories. I probably have some vague disconnected memories of my life before that point but they start to become sort of "structured" or "logical" after that - largely because I can track my life by various sporting events I watched.
I'd just turned 6.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Beginning of the 2000s ish. It was not the epic struggle between Brijal Patel and Shane Warne at the Nairobi gymkhana but it wasn't long before that.
Who was your childhood hero from your nation when you started watching? Tikolo?

tony p

First Class Debutant
First match I watched on TV was the 5th Ashes Test in 1972 at the Oval (I was 5).Was living in Melbourne then.
It was a very early live TV broadcast of cricket into Australia, remember Barry Wood getting LBW for 90 by Massie to this day, thought even then, that's bad luck.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Vaguely remember Hadlee being caught on the boundary against the West Indies in the 86/87 ODI series. Started following it more closely the following year when England toured and Andrew Jones hit a match winning 90 at Eden Park. I recorded the NZ innings on VHS and that innings was my favourite for years. I would have been 9 at the time.