• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

When did you start watching cricket ?

Sunil1z

International Regular
IIRC , the 1st match I watched was between India and SA ( Titan cup final 96) . Many of my family members were also watching it , so I sat down on chair to watch the match . So , this was my introduction to international cricket . What was yours ?

Xuhaib

International Coach

Marius

International Debutant
1992 Cricket World Cup, interest started growing in the 1992/93 India tour of SA, and then I became fully obsessed during SA tours of Sri Lanka and Australia in 1993.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
My oldest, though hazy, memory goes back to 1987 world cup. From 1996 would cup onwards I became maniacal for about 6-8 years in how closely I followed the game.

Sunil1z

International Regular
The most disappointed I have been as a cricket fan was after 2003 WC Final . I knew Aus were favourites but media was constantly comparing it with 83 WC final . So this built up lots of hope . But Ponting destroyed all the hopes in the last 10 overs of Aus innings.

After 2003 WC disappointment, I forget most of the loss in max 2-3 days.

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
The 2011 world cup was my introduction to cricket, but I started really following it closely around the 2015 world cup.

Marius

International Debutant
My oldest, though hazy, memory goes back to 1987 world cup. From 1996 would cup onwards I became maniacal for about 6-8 years in how closely I followed the game.
My very hazy earliest memory is going to the Wanderers to watch the West Indian rebels vs Transvaal in the 1980s.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hazy memories of the 2007 WC, clearly remember an LO series between Pakistan and Australia in 08/09.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Cricket caught my attention a few times before I started watching properly. I remember enjoying Crowe as a little kid and wanting to play as him in an old game.

I remember being annoyed that the Test series was on free TV because it was making me miss pokemon and dbz, but being enthralled by Sinclairs debut double hundred.

I remember Cairns and Bond in the 2000s gunning it with the ball, and Malinga devestating us, and my friends nana being so mad at his action.

But I properly clicked on in the lead up to the 2007 World Cup.

cnerd123

likes this
I was already pretty obsessed with it by the 2003 WC, which was the first major tournament i remember following vividly.

Probably got bitten by the bug around 2 years before that, but can't name a specific game that got me into it. Vague recollection of Ganguly taking some spectacular diving catch vs South Africa in an ODI, but for all I know I may be imagining that

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
1st match I attended was the 1980 test match at Old Trafford against the West Indies. It was the Saturday and it rained all day and we didn't see a ball bowled.

I generally go to at least one international match a year, more if I can get tickets.

Don't go to much domestic cricket, a couple of days a year, as I live in Liverpool and Lancashire play the vast majority of games in Manchester.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Have vague memories of random Ind/Pak/Zim/Aus ODIs in late 90s.

The first match I remember clearly was Ind - NZ final in 2000 ICC knockout - developed the love/hate for Cairns there, The first innings i remember clearly was Yuvraj's against Australia in the same tournament and being pretty happy with the 265 we posted, I didn't expect that kind of score against Australia.

The first introduction to test matches was Dravid's 200 against Zimbabwe - I remember being absolutely astonished by that as having only watched ODIs till that point I had no idea such scores were actually possible for a single batsman. Of course Laxman's 281 coming soon enough after that helped reel me in to the wonders of test cricket a bit more.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I started watching on my own in 1992 as an 8 year old. But got really addicted to the game during the 1996 world cup.

ashley bach

International Captain
Was 7 years old at the time, it was a really exciting ODI between Australia and NZ.
It was actually really close and came down to the last ball. Then someone rolled the ball along the ground.
I had no idea what was going on at the time, but all the excitement and emotions going on around me got me hooked. Thanks Trevor:)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I started watching on my own in 1992 as an 8 year old. But got really addicted to the game during the 1996 world cup.
In 1998, we did not have access to internet or any such. I had a notebook where I used to write down individual runs and wickets of 30 of my favorite players at the end of each game. Did it from Jan 1st to Dec 31st as a routine. And glad that I chose the best year to do it as Sachin was amazing that year.

These days, one just has to click on cricinfo to get it.