• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Whats wrong with 4 innings ODI cricket ?

Deja moo

International Captain
You know , 4 innings of 25 overs each , where teams alternate batting and fielding. The team batting first continues batting in the 3rd innings( not a fresh start ).....

Advantages of such a system:

(1) does not alter the basic character of ODI cricket too much .

(2) reduces the "toss factor" ...both teams get to bat under floodlights , dew factor disadvantage is somewhat lessened.

(3) D-L application would be easier and more fair .....( we wont have one team batting 50 overs and the other having just 25 overs )

(4)We could have fielding restrictions applied in two parts.....7 overs in each innings......That means more middle order batsmen will get to bat in the fielding restricted overs....

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I like the idea. Its bowler friendly. THey only bowl 5 overs before resting. Its all about the momentum of a batsman's innings.

Mingster

State Regular
Stupid idea. If you are going to do that, resort to Twenty20 for that.

Would openers bat twice? Which basicaly means no middle order?

Deja moo

International Captain
Mingster said:

No , team carries on from where it left off at the end of the first 25 overs .

No similarity to 20-20 at all.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mingster said:

The team batting first continues batting in the 3rd innings( not a fresh start ).....

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hmmm...I'm not so convinced with the idea. The crowd is not going to be too happy if a player is smashing them all over the place, and suddenly has to walk off the field, wait 10-15 minutes before the teams return, then wait 2 or so hours for the batsman to come back out.

Also what if a bowler was on a hatrick? What if a team was 3/150 off their 25 overs & then they have the other team 8/160 after their first 25. I don't think the crowd will hang around for the rest of the game. It's an interesting idea, and should remain as that IMHO.

tooextracool

International Coach
yep i dont like the idea of a team carrying on from where they left off about 2 hrs later.....perhaps 4 innings of 20-20 cricket would be better

Sudeep

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
hmmm...I'm not so convinced with the idea. The crowd is not going to be too happy if a player is smashing them all over the place, and suddenly has to walk off the field, wait 10-15 minutes before the teams return, then wait 2 or so hours for the batsman to come back out.

Also what if a bowler was on a hatrick? What if a team was 3/150 off their 25 overs & then they have the other team 8/160 after their first 25. I don't think the crowd will hang around for the rest of the game. It's an interesting idea, and should remain as that IMHO.
Summed up perfectly there.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Far too complicated, totally needless.
And the whole point of D\L is that it takes account of the difference between one team facing a certain number of overs and the other facing a different amount.