• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's Bracken done wrong

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chaminda_00 said:
Johnson: Pace and Youth
Accuracy? Movement?
Without these (maybe not against Bangladesh, obviously, but in the long-run) he'll get caned without looking like taking wickets - as he has to date in domestic cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nnanden said:
If picked, I reckon Gillespie will struggle big-time. If the Bangladeshis play him smartly, they`ll leave most outside off, where he is most dangerous IMO. Especially without the new-ball, Dizzy doesn`t have much. Good bowler, but won`t ever be like his old self.
And you know that how...?
Also - how often do Bangladeshis play anyone smartly?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
mavric41 said:
Johnson is a younger, fitter, faster and better model.
Sorry, how is pretty-boy Bracken not a good model?
I'm not the greatest Bracken-the-bowler fan, but come on... to be better than Johnson isn't difficult.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
pretty-boy Bracken? Are you serious Richard?

Look at the guy's hair!!!

The fact that his lady is a hairdresser makes it all the more baffling.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Jason Gillespie?
Not even close. It'd be Bracken, or failing that Brett Dorey. Gillespie rarely swings the ball these days, except when it's brand new. He'll swing it for 10 overs or so, then get nothing, much like Brett Lee.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Accuracy? Movement?
Without these (maybe not against Bangladesh, obviously, but in the long-run) he'll get caned without looking like taking wickets - as he has to date in domestic cricket.
If there's one thing Johnson has, it's definitely movement. The guy swings it a mile at times. How on earth would you know if he has "looked like taking wickets" or not, anyway? And 29 wickets @ 25 in his most recent season isn't really a miserable failure.

Anyway, he took 10 wickets in the Pura Cup final on a flat pitch, which might well add to his appeal for the selectors. I don't think Johnson should be picked yet personally, I'd give him another season, but I don't really have a problem with him being looked at.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Jason Gillespie?
Gillespie has never ever been a traditional "swing bowler".
Nnanden said:
What was the key in the Ashes? Swing. Who`s Australia`s number-one swing bowler?
Probably still Damien Fleming, playing sub-district cricket for Noble Park.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
luckyeddie said:
He's definitely out of favour - a lack of a central contract coupled with a test record the wrong side of comical might be two sides of the same coin.
I`m pretty sure he does have a contract. :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
tooextracool said:
which has relation to being part of the test side how?
What else do you want the bloke to do? How else do you make the Test-side, apart from bowling excellently in One-Dayers and having the leading average in Domestic cricket this season, and being up there with the best the season before?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Richard said:
1) And you know that how...?
2) Also - how often do Bangladeshis play anyone smartly?
1) I should have said IMO. My bad. :)
2) And that`s why I said if.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not even close. It'd be Bracken, or failing that Brett Dorey. Gillespie rarely swings the ball these days, except when it's brand new. He'll swing it for 10 overs or so, then get nothing, much like Brett Lee.
And Bracken does anything different?
In Australia with a Kookaburra ball, it's very difficult to keep it in condition to swing for more than 10-20 overs tops.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
If there's one thing Johnson has, it's definitely movement. The guy swings it a mile at times. How on earth would you know if he has "looked like taking wickets" or not, anyway? And 29 wickets @ 25 in his most recent season isn't really a miserable failure.

Anyway, he took 10 wickets in the Pura Cup final on a flat pitch, which might well add to his appeal for the selectors. I don't think Johnson should be picked yet personally, I'd give him another season, but I don't really have a problem with him being looked at.
Where did I say "he doesn't possess movement"?
I just asked if he did.
How good were his figures before that final (when Vics were clearly somewhat demoralised by facing the small matter of 900)?