• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's a politics question you've always wanted to ask Cribb but haven't [...]?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pro-death penalty?
Nah; definitely the sort of power I'd be uncomfortable with anyone having.

I don't think self defence, suicide or consensual homicide should constitute murder though, even though they all fall (or can fall) under 'killing people'.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Cribbage, I don't like democracy. Seems like a way to give some people powers who just exploit it as they feel fit. What is a better way to rule than democracy as it stands?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What are your thoughts on Rahul Gandhi?
I don't really know much about his political positions other than the fact that he made a big stand against compulsory acquisition a few years back. I support him on that but given the party he's in I probably don't agree with him on all that much else.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cribbage, I don't like democracy. Seems like a way to give some people powers who just exploit it as they feel fit. What is a better way to rule than democracy as it stands?
Most non-anarchist libertarians seek to address this problem in four ways.

1. Constitutionally limit the role of the state to few functions so the worst excesses are illegal.
2. Encourage people to use their vote to elect less authoritarian candidates.
3. Support secession movements to allow greater variation and competition in laws, satisfying more preferences and increasing the chances of one of them being libertarianish.
4. In conjunction with #3, support more liberal immigration laws so people have greater choice in what sort of society they live in.

And that's pretty much my position.

Anarchist libertarians argue this has all been tried and failed before though and the only way to actually limit the state is to destroy it. They may have a point, but to me things libertarians attempt to get the state to stop doing -- theft, murder, imprisonment -- would probably exist in even greater amounts on a private level without the existence of the state at all. Some sort of state is probably necessary, at least in the medium term, and democracy is the least bad way we've come up with to operate one. The key to me is in limiting the power of democracy to the areas it's really required to maximise freedom.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Most non-anarchist libertarians seek to address this problem in four ways.

1. Constitutionally limit the role of the state to few functions so the worst excesses are illegal.
2. Encourage people to use their vote to elect less authoritarian candidates.
3. Support secession movements to allow greater variation and competition in laws, satisfying more preferences and increasing the chances of one of them being libertarianish.
4. In conjunction with #3, support more liberal immigration laws so people have greater choice in what sort of society they live in.

And that's pretty much my position.

Anarchist libertarians argue this has all been tried and failed before though and the only way to actually limit the state is to destroy it. They may have a point, but to me things libertarians attempt to get the state to stop doing -- theft, murder, imprisonment -- would probably exist in even greater amounts on a private level without the existence of the state at all. Some sort of state is probably necessary, at least in the medium term, and democracy is the least bad way we've come up with to operate one. The key to me is in limiting the power of democracy to the areas it's really required to maximise freedom.
The role of the state being limited is the way to go, yeah.. (y)

Spark

Global Moderator
As opposed to all those other systems which give some people powers who exploit it as they feel fit...

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most have been done legally according to norms set by the various countires.

There are just too many Indians. I don't like it either.
It's too annoying. Even when I go abroad, find Indians every where. Thankfully I have interest of travelling rather than standing beside a tourist spot and clicking a photo. Usually the definition of going to a place essentially for most of them is to go to a place, visit 3 tourist spots for 10 minutes each, take a photo and post it on Facebook.
Too good