• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's a politics question you've always wanted to ask Cribb but haven't [...]?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Cribb, how do you marry up your bizarre outlook on healthcare and economics with the fact that US healthcare costs far more ler patient than the NHS for worse health outcomes?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cribb, how do you marry up your bizarre outlook on healthcare and economics with the fact that US healthcare costs far more ler patient than the NHS for worse health outcomes?
By recognising that the US heathcare system is also terrible. It'd be a mistake to assume that the US healthcare system is somehow representative of the free market given not only the ridiculous amount of regulations they place on the industry, but the amount of money the state actually spends on it (even before Obamacare). I read a really good article about this a year or so ago; I'll try to dig it up.

EDIT: http://www.theatlantic.com/business...ee-market-american-health-care-system/254210/

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
IIRC the American healthcare system has been described as "universal, but the worst possible kind" (pre-Obamacare, that is, which is basically a vague copy of the Swiss model)

Dan

Global Moderator
@Cribb
So basically you're arguing that everything is inherently subjective/socially-constructed, but your ideology is the least subjective/socially-constructed; the least of all tyrannical evils, effectively?

HeathDavisSpeed

Hall of Fame Member
I've seen enough privately owned roads which turn to pothole ridden death traps, just because one householder on the road thinks "it's fine as it is" to wonder whether that is a sensible idea.

harsh.ag

Hall of Fame Member
Cribb, what are your thoughts on "In the absence of force used by government, there could/would be greater force used by citizens/corporations against each other"?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cribb, what are your thoughts on "In the absence of force used by government, there could/would be greater force used by citizens/corporations against each other"?
I think this is true to a certain point, which is why I'm a small government advocate and not an anarcho-capitalist. I certainly think that, for the most basic example, private property rights are better protected through having taxation fund a police force and a courts system to prevent theft.This is a case of a small amount of state force being justified because it'd prevent an even greater degree of private force.

harsh.ag

Hall of Fame Member
I think this is true to a certain point, which is why I'm a small government advocate and not an anarcho-capitalist. I certainly think that, for the most basic example, private property rights are better protected through having taxation fund a police force and a courts system to prevent theft.This is a case of a small amount of state force being justified because it'd prevent an even greater degree of private force.
Yeah, get that. I was trying to ask whether you think even the cost of reducing governments drastically from their present size would lead to a greater degree of rise in private force than we may be comfortable with?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I came in to leave this

Liberland: hundreds of thousands apply to live in world's newest 'country' | World news | The Guardian

Well good luck, something tells me we won't hear so much from the project in a couple of years
I haven't looked into it yet but a bunch of people on the Australian Libertarian Society and UK Libertarian Discussion Facebook pages are insistent that it'll be in no way any sort of libertarian nation, so I'm holding off getting excited until I've read their complaints properly and done some research. Hopefully it doesn't just become our Marxism-Leninism. ;)
So it turns out these concerns basically amount to anarcho-capitalists yelling at clouds so far. It genuinely does seem to have been founded on libertarian principles.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Prince EWS: Are you worried people may draw a link between your libertarianism and the women you uh, you know

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't wanna derail the BOTM thread so I thought I'd just bump this one.

Deregulate everything and let markets dictate *

*except sports, which should be run in a system that resembles communism as closely as possible.
I don't support government intervention is sports either. Sports bodies like the ICC are private institutions which one can voluntarily participate in or trade with, not governments. My opinions on how they should be run do not come into conflict with libertarianism unless I start advocating government subsidies or laws protecting their monopolies. I absolutely think that if someone didn't like the way the ICC was run they should be allowed within the law to set up a competing body with different rules.

Bitcoin isn't a libertarian concept
The creator wasn't a libertarian, but a lot of libertarians are attracted to Bitcoin due to their opposition to monetary policy. The state can't control the supply of BitCoin so its price and interest rates are determined by market forces. It might not be a strictly libertarian concept, but it follows a more libertarian concept of money than fiat currency does.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't recall Cribb ever getting into it but generally speaking monetary policy is a massive idiocy zone for Libertarians. If I ever start feeling too sympathetic towards Libertarianism I just read their opinions on currency and banking so I can get back to patronisingly dismissing them as crackpots.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So should competitions like the NRL and AFL be run more in line with the Premier League in England then?