• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What was the lowest point for your cricket team?

subshakerz

International Coach
Pakistan has several low points frankly:

- 1993 and the players revolt against Miandad and then Akram. Essentially the signal for a fractured team for that era.

- 1994/95 and the throwing away of the Mandela Trophy in SA which Pakistan were favorites for, the first high profile matchfixing case under Salim Malik's captaincy

- 2002/2003 was a particularly bad time, destroyed in Sharjah by Australia, not qualifying in the 2003 World Cup and retirements of Wasim, Waqar and Anwar

- 2007 World Cup loss to Ireland and Bob Wolmer's death and the end of what seemed like a hopeful era under Inzi

- 2009 and the terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan cricketers and loss of Pakistan as a home venue

- 2010 with Sydney test and then the spotfixing scandal

- 2020 whitewash loss to Australia, the most mediocre side and undercooked side in Pakistan history

Heboric

International Debutant
Pakistan has several low points frankly:

- 1994/95 and the throwing away of the Mandela Trophy in SA which Pakistan were favorites for, the first high profile matchfixing case under Salim Malik's captaincy
I was actually at that game

subshakerz

International Coach
I was actually at that game
1st or 2nd final? Salim as captain put SA in to bat both times. The second time was especially suspicious as there was rain and he did a vote among his players 8-3 to bat and then overturned that to bowl first.

Heboric

International Debutant
1st or 2nd final? Salim as captain put SA in to bat both times. The second time was especially suspicious as there was rain and he did a vote among his players 8-3 to bat and then overturned that to bowl first.
The one at Newlands, I remember Nelson Mandela was in the stadium as well

Kirkut

International Regular
4-0 loss to England was so depressing, the only high being Dravid masterclass against an arguably the strongest bowling attack England has ever fielded.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Because I was there, seeing Junior Murray score a century was pretty bad, because we then batted against Walsh like it was a minefield. The whole centenary season was a disaster but that was the low point.

Other than that there were plenty of shockers early on in NZ's history. The 26 all out, the whole 1950-something tour of England that was 5-0, the absolute shellacking from O'Reilly that resulted in Australia not playing us for 25 years....

In later times, the Inzamam/Shoaib embarassment, getting rolled by Mohammad Shami, and various miserable tours of Australia stand out.

Happily one of the terrible lows - Edgbaston 1999, Alex Tudor and all that, was immediately remedied, though at 40-6 before Cairns came out at the Oval, it was looking like being an all-round miserable tour....

Flem274*

123/5
I don't think I've ever thought the opposition had cheat codes more than when Harbhajan bailed India out of a certain loss with the bat from 15/5 or whatever Martin reduced them to.

You'd think we'd say the wc but tbh we know we won that and England only tied it through serious jam and help, plus Stokes played well. I just wanted the test series after that. We still owe them more pain.

Getting smashed by Harbhajan though...not to mention the Jerome Taylor ton, captaincygate and my aforementioned near apathy of the WI 2012 tour.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I wonder if it was the highest 1st innings opening partnership that resulted in a loss
If you mean "first innings of the match", then yes, by almost 100 runs. (Xix2565's list above is of "total runs by the openers", for which they're also top but not by as much).

However, if you also allow the first innings of the side batting second (i.e. the second innings of the match), then Hobbs & Sutcliffe's 283 at Melbourne in 1924 is still top (but that was a timeless Test which would undoubtedly have been drawn if limited to 5 days).
Those two are the only 250+ opening partnerships for a losing side.