• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What next for England??

Flem274*

123/5
I don't know anything about County ODI prospects because I'm terribad at following domestic limited overs but the middle order for the medium term should definitely be Root, Taylor and Buttler. The added bonus of Buttler at #5 is you can play around with the balance of the side easier. You could go with a batsman (Morgan) and an allrounder or two allrounders if you want to give Morgan some time away.

The bowling is harder. Anderson and Broad are obviously the best bowlers you have but they're bowling like ****, especially Broad. Moeen stays, but even though I appreciate Tredwell he won't make 2019. Woakes would be a good cricketer to come good for England and he's a talented bowler so he can stay. Jordan is jammy as **** and I instinctively say boot him but he is effective. Finn again is a bowler you want to come good but is bowling like ****.

So um, problem is you more or less picked the right side give or take a few things but they're playing like crap. Plan B - develop some depth, especially in the bowling. Topley, Mills, Gurney etc - accept you're pulling a Boult/Milne/Bracewell rather than a ready made Henry and persist.

And get a skipper who sings the anthem. I hate to sound nationalist but your captain must have pride in the country he plays for.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
1. Hales
2. Lumb
3. Taylor
4. Moeen Ali
5. Jos Buttler
6. Bopara
7. Woakes
8. Jordan
9. Treadwell
10. Gurney
11. Anderson

Just trying to go with something a bit different, I know that batting is a little thin and its a harsh to take out Root but I think this lineup actually has some chance of scoring quickly and has at least a little more variety than the attack England had before. It's pie in the sky of course too many big names that will probably never be left out Bell/Morgan/Broad etc but at least this lineup might be more interesting to watch even if I could easily see the batting get dismantled every other game.

Obviously England's problems go far behind the selection of the first XI, whats next for England is that they need to take a look at their game as a whole from top to bottom.
Seems like a good team, the only thing is that the batting is too weak. If you are picking so many aggressive batsmen, there should be someone who can steady the ship when required. Root instead of Gurney will be a better option. And anyways, Root has looked comfortable in ODIs.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Interesting posts, but I just can't figure out if Broad deserves to be in the team. I don't feel like he fits in an ODI set up. He hasn't had much of an impact in the last couple of years. this is the right time to start building a team for the next WC. Mayb it will be a better idea if Broad focuses on Tests and also works a bit on his batting.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't be in a rush to drop Anderson even though he might not make the next WC. It's good to introduce players into a winning atmosphere (hard for your lot I know) and Anderson's still comfortably Englands best bowler.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Wouldn't be in a rush to drop Anderson even though he might not make the next WC. It's good to introduce players into a winning atmosphere (hard for your lot I know) and Anderson's still comfortably Englands best bowler.
Yap, Anderson is their best bowler at the moment. I guess his workload in the recent past has had a bad effect on his overall bowling. He needs to be used for selected games.