• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the most difficult sport to play at a high standard?

shankar

International Debutant
But you're not playing against robots. You're playing against other human beings i.e. Ultimately it comes down to one man pitting his skill sets against another. So nomatter how easy a sport looks, it's as difficult to perform at a high standard compared to other men in it as any other sport.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I'm sure you've gone to your nearest retirement home and used Scrabble as 'speed' dating.
Not at all - their attention spans only last as long as a game of Hungry, Hungry Hippo.

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm surprised nobody mentioned darts : with beer in one hand and the cigarette in the other hand, it's extremely demanding

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
atichon said:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned darts : with beer in one hand and the cigarette in the other hand, it's extremely demanding
LAWN DARTS

(sorry, done that one, but it deserved saying again)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I would say tennis is the hardest as It is an individual sport so on those bad days you dont have the rest of the team to carry you. Then cricket. as a batter one ball and it all over for you

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
From those sports it is rugby union by a mile as it so complex especially forward play. Anaerobic, aerobic, use of timing, high pain threshold, and very technical. Fun though.

Overall I'd say ice hockey. You have to be a good skater for a start, have great hand eye, and take physical punishment.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From those sports it is rugby union by a mile as it so complex especially forward play. Anaerobic, aerobic, use of timing, high pain threshold, and very technical. Fun though.

Overall I'd say ice hockey. You have to be a good skater for a start, have great hand eye, and take physical punishment.
Rugby is the easiest by a mile. It's not a coincidence that requirement for professional Rugby players is mostly physical and they are probably the dumbest of all professional sportspeople.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Rugby is the easiest by a mile
Nah. Rucks, mauls, binding, timing for lineout and tackles, scrums, different types of tackles, fends, running off the ball, passing off both hands, and all the options to consider. The technical training to scrum properly is huge.

Compare cricket training - nets and fielding practice (easy but stressful when getting bounced), practising football - fine skills and lots of running but repeated skills (headers, timing corners, improving weaker foot, and tennis is hitting a lot of balls, running hard, and developing a gun serve. Rugby training is super complex - the 2021 rugby union law book is 156 pages long (I just checked) and unless you're Richie McCaw or a gun referee very hard to prepare for and play at an elite level.

I've played all of them to a bad standard (rugby, cricket, tennis, football) and rugby's the hardest and most technical especially forward play. Playing in the backs is a lot easier which is why league backs can switch to union. Brad Thorn is a league forward who switched and (despite being an amazing pro with a crazy work ethic) still took a few years to understand what to do.

Last edited:

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Depends how you define difficult. Physically rugby league is extremely physical and will leave most bodies completely destroyed. But cricket facing 150k swinging deliveries your reactions need to be pretty damn on point.

Every sport has its own unique demands, otherwise getting to the top would be something anyone was capable of, and that's clearly not the case.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah. Rucks, mauls, binding, timing for lineout and tackles, scrums, different types of tackles, fends, running off the ball, passing off both hands, and all the options to consider. The technical training to scrum properly is huge.

Compare cricket training - nets and fielding practice (easy but stressful when getting bounced), practising football - fine skills and lots of running but repeated skills (headers, timing corners, improving weaker foot, and tennis is hitting a lot of balls, running hard, and developing a gun serve. Rugby training is super complex - the 2021 rugby union law book is 156 pages long (I just checked) and unless you're Richie McCaw or a gun referee very hard to prepare for and play at an elite level.

I've played all of them to a bad standard (rugby, cricket, tennis, football) and rugby's the hardest and most technical especially forward play. Playing in the backs is a lot easier which is why league backs can switch to union. Brad Thorn is a league forward who switched and (despite being an amazing pro with a crazy work ethic) still took a few years to understand what to do.
ironically this is not an intelligent take
Definitely wouldn't have picked the kiwis as the ones triggered by that

wait no. That's exactly what I expected